Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, I will add my suggestion to include Country Coach on your list. I would certainly agree with your plan to get a used high end coach instead of a new entry level rig. We initially targeted used Newmars and American Coaches and ended up with the coach in our signature. No regrets. Solidly built, sturdy and beautiful cabinets, many creature comforts.

One place to look is at Tom Johnson's in Concord, NC. They sell a lot of high end rigs to NASCAR high rollers so they usually have a good inventory of used trade in's...... Americans, Newmars, and a couple of nice CC's.

In any case, good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post

There is a fellow IRV2'r in Georgia named Rick that has a coach for sell you might want to consider. It is located in Cumming Ga.

Here is a link to his RV. I have seen it and it is really nice and exceptionally clean inside and out. 2005 Holiday Rambler - Ambassador 36PRT $70,000 - RV & Motorhome Classifieds

Good luck on your quest. I was on an extremely limited budget and took 18-24 months to find the right coach, I've done a ton of work and modifications to get it like I want it ... now it's ready. There are lots of good used coaches out there, just have to be patient and get what you want.

First of all, thank you for your service to our country! I served 6 years in the Navy, but my brother served 26 years in the Air Force. Anyway, I appreciate the link to your friend's RV. I can't find any floor plans for that model, but it looks like a good deal. However, I'm probably going to be at the mercy of dealers. Since our 5th wheel is also our only home, it would be difficult to sell and then buy or buy and then sell. I would really hate to buy a MH and then be stuck for months and months trying to sell a truck and trailer. At a dealer, I can take a financial beating; but get it all done at one time. :bang head: LOL!

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Saint Marys, Georgia (Full-time since 7/16/14)
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
first of all let me say that I have a DP and love it. That being said have you looked at DP to see how much better that would be for you than a 5th wheel. If your only decision is step from the bedroom and bathroom and driving the dually those are not that big a difference. I have had a 5th wheel. The steps getting into and out of the 5th wheel are a lot easier to navigate than the steps into and out of a DP. I know there are steps to the bedroom and bathroom on a 5th wheel. But have you looked at other 5th wheels. Some of the new ones have taken the best parts of DP and added them to the 5th wheel. Self Leveling is getting common in upper end 5t wheels. I have looked at some that have rear bedroom and bath on the same floor as the front door with the living area up a couple of smaller/ wider steps in the front. You can get residential refrigerators in some of the newer 5th wheels. They have an inverter that runs off of batteries and that charges off of the alternator in your dually. I will not list the difference in maintenance and upkeep amounts but it is significant. My experience is that it was easier to heat and cool my 5th wheel than it is to heat and cool my DP. You are going to be able to buy a new or 1 year old 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles for what you pay for a good older used DP in the brands you are talking about. For example I bought a 7 year old Allegro Bus with 2 slides and lower mileage for when all was said and done about 100,000 I can get a very nice new 5th wheel for the same money. If I could have gotten the same options in a 5th wheel that is available now I would have a big decision to make. The only problem for me was I never got comfortable towing the 5th wheel but that was a personal thing.

Not trying to talk you out of a DP just pointing out that there are other options out there now that might do what you need for less money overall
We thought about getting a 5th wheel with the front living floor plan. That would help with the constant up and down on the steps. Our current 5th wheel has all the bells and whistles, including stacked washer/dryer, auto leveling, dual pane glass, king bed and so on. Right now, I have no problem hooking up the 5th wheel and can still step on the truck tire and pull myself up to hook up the brake cable and pin the hitch. However, I'm almost 65 and how much longer will I be able to do that? I think there are also construction differences between 5th wheels and MH's. My 5th wheel has the auto level system with 6 hydraulic rams to support the trailer and yet, it shakes. The shaking is nothing like it was in our 30 foot bumper pull, but the few MH's we've been in are solid as a rock. When our washing machine goes into the spin cycle, the shades do a drum beat against the windows!
I think a motor home is the way we need to go. I just wish we had done it a couple of years ago before we bought our current rig.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Saint Marys, Georgia (Full-time since 7/16/14)
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote