Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
My lights are leaking.

My lights are leaking. I have a 40 footer with the 5 driving lights on front top, these poor lights get hot in summer and cold in the winter; they expand and contract. And now they leak and are broken. We caulk them and it's a mess. Where can I by some LED lights with a big rubber surface on the back so water will not leak into the rv ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Replacement lights can be found online at Amazon, eBay, and also at any truck stop. Take one of your lenses and measure it and you can find many that will do. Use butyl rubber to bed the light base, not silicone. Don't over-tighten the new lights or you'll crack the lens or the base.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:19 AM   #3

And since your coach is 18yrs. old and has experienced many prior attempts to fix these leaks—as you said—that front cap area is probably somewhat of a mess with all kinds of old chalking/sealant too.

So if it was me replacing these lights with new LED's, this is a rare opportunity to restore that entire fiberglass area to like new. So I would remove all the old lights & bases, carefully tape off the wiring out of the way, and compound, polish & wax that entire crown area to remove all the old material, and get that area looking clean & glossy just like new. Then wire up all the new lights just hanging there first and make sure everything is working ok. Then permanently attach and install with butyl seal tape as previously suggested.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
What is a good web site to buy LED lights?
Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch99 View Post
What is a good web site to buy LED lights?
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...earance+Lights
Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #6

Someone suggested Grote Industries in a prior thread on this subject. I have not used them but it’s a simple Google search away. Good luck.

Shawn
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Once you figure out which lights and wire them in, the last thing you do before installing them is completely fill each hole with sealant until it's flush with the cap. You can easily have a golf ball sized amount of sealant in each hole. Then, properly seal the light to the hole with a gasket or sealant and then when you're done, seal the edges with a clear sealant.

The way to make the final sealant job look nice, is to cut a small hole in the sealant tube, use less than you think you need and then wet your finger to smooth it out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #8

Personally I wouldn't use any sealant around the clearance lights. Ours are recessed into the front cap. They leaked and the previous owner sealed all the way around them. The sealant eventually dried and pulled away at the top. So water got in but couldn't get out. Filled up the hole and backed up into the interior. I removed the lights and cleaned up the mess from the sealant. Couldn't get replacement gaskets so I made some new ones from EDPM weather stripping. Left a small gap at the bottom, like the originals, so any water that got behind the gasket could get out. A year later, plenty of rain snow, sleet and ice, no leaks.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

I've used eternabond tape to seal up the hole behind the lights. Just cut a piece big enough to cover the hole and slit it for the wires. The slit for the wires pretty much seals itself and I add a little dab of sealant around them too. Then seal the screws and caulk around the lights after you install them.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread to help you solve your problem and all the links in my signature will help you solve many more problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My suggestion regarding the sealing of your lights is what the two biggest manufacturers do, but maybe they don't do it right.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
[moderator edit]

Delamination usually occurs in fiberglass sidewalls, not seen it in a fiberglass laid up front or rear cap. The I.C.C. clearance lights are in the front and rear caps. Leaking would either show up inside the front or rear cabinets or water on the inside of the windshield. Don't make issues where there are none.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Delamination usually occurs in fiberglass sidewalls, not seen it in a fiberglass laid up front or rear cap. The I.C.C. clearance lights are in the front and rear caps. Leaking would either show up inside the front or rear cabinets or water on the inside of the windshield. Don't make issues where there are none.
That's the way my Dynasty was--nothing to delaminate where the clearance lights are.

Tags
leak, light, lights