Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Ive had similar issues on mine where everything goes dead all of a sudden for no reason and it has always been where battery terminals look clean but still need to pull of and clean with a terminal cleaner. and if you have replaced the terminals with the clamp on style the wire need cleaned up. I'd start by cleaning even if looks clean.
OddOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Does it have a battery disconnect switch? They sometimes will go bad. Sometimes if you cycle them a couple times you will get power back.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb141fd View Post
Can anyone tell me if either a bad starter or starter solenoid could cause my symptoms:

If so, are there any tests of either the solenoid or the starter that I could perform with them still on the motor to help eliminate them as the cause?Tony
Just tested my starter/solenoid. The starter is on the passenger side of your motor. There is a big red wire going to the solenoid that is mounted on the starter motor. There is also a small red wire going to the solenoid. Use whatever it takes to jumper the big red wire to the small red wire. Sparks should fly and the starter motor should turn your engine over. It won't start. That big red wire is coming directly from your battery or the isolation solenoid. If it doesn't try to start, you are not getting anything from the battery(s).

If your's is anything like my 1311, there is a plastic panel in the top part of the compartment just in front of the entrance door. It's held on by 4 or more screws. Remove them and you should see something like this.

On the right, there is a 150 Amp circuit breaker. See if it resets. There are several other resetable circuit breaker in there too. If your's has the grey ones, they are resetable.

The silver thing next to the red tape is the isolation relay.

There should be a schematic on the back side of the plastic cover. Mine looks likes this. All the diamonds represent reset buttons. Push them all if you have them.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
If the solenoid or starter is bad or both bad neither will prevent power from goin to lights.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
Lit

National RV Owners Club
I had the same thing happen to me 2 months ago with my 2005 Dolphin. I was less then 2 hours away from home after driving 2 days and more than 1300 miles when I stopped for a pit stop. It wouldn't start and I got no sound whatever, my coach had been running very well up to that time, I had no warning whatever always fired right up. I had over 12.5 volts in my new batteries so that wasn't it. I Called Coach-Net tried what they suggested and got nothing, had to tow it. ("Coach-Net don't leave home without it!")
"I ended up having a bad starter and some corrosion on the wires, GM dealer replaced the starter and the wiring and after one week I brought it home.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddOne View Post
If the solenoid or starter is bad or both bad neither will prevent power from goin to lights.
I know that, be we have to start somewhere. I had forgotten about that 150A circuit breaker until I look at my pics and schematic. Not sure what it feeds, but it might be the problem. If it is, what caused it to pop?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner

I know that, be we have to start somewhere. I had forgotten about that 150A circuit breaker until I look at my pics and schematic. Not sure what it feeds, but it might be the problem. If it is, what caused it to pop?
If a 150 amp fuse got popped there is a hot wire grounding out somwhere. It all depends on what's on that circuit. Are all affected items on that breaker?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #22

I don't remember and can't read what all the breakers feed(diamonds are breakers).
The bottom feed on the 150A breaker on the right says Jack and Generator start solenoids.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't see it well enough to read. It would take a super large short to cause that breaker to pop. He lost power while driving and it didn't die cause his alternator would of kept it going until he shut it off. If something would of grounded out he would of lost all power and left him along side the road. That's just my opinion.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #24

He did say he was on a bumpy road, so no tellin' what shorted out. If reseting that or another breaker fixes it, it may never do it again.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
336muffin:

Re: (Your post #10 above)

Oh,....the way I read the OP's problem, it started AFTER engine shut down for unloading at storage site, NOT during "while driving."

At any rate, I'd still bet on a bad solenoid on the starter. In fact, after sitting awhile, (maybe 30-60 minutes or overnight for example), it may start o.k. for a number of start ups and you're thinking all is o.k., but then all of a sudden, exhibit the same no start symptoms.

Steve
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #26

I have the drawings from RV Custom Products, but they are not exactly like mine. I have CBs and the drawing shows fuses.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #27

Chickadee, I have an `04 and the only wires on the starter are the hot one and the "start" lead. There is no other wire from the starter that feeds the lights, etc.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes the op's said it started after shut down but have you ever started yet car and unhucked the battery. It will stay running. I've hade the identical issue before bumpy road makes a little dirt fall in between cables and post stopping power flow till cleaned.