Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #29

Now, you're grasping at straws. Why doesn't the Emergency Boost switch do anything?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #30

Tony, Follow the ground leads off the batteries to the frame and loosen and tighten them a couple of times. If they looks real corroded or rusted, clean them with a wire brush. Bad grounds do weird things.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Is the emergency boost system on its own power supply separate from the rest(completely different battery supply)? I diagnose by the facts given and go ok if wire grounded yes would kill ability to pull power cause broken fuse. Yes dirty posts kills power too and in both could and very well stay running. But if solenoid goes bad no it won't cause all symptoms and in order for it to pop breaker it would of had to stick on causing starter to run(x'ed that therory) I'm not just guessing. It's more of a process of elimination. What could cause all power loss of drive system.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #32

The isolation relay(solenoid) ties the house and chassis batteries together. If he has the same RV Customs Battery Control Center I do, it is complicated. The Boost switch should tie both together, but, depending on the battery voltages, they are sometimes always tied together. And sometime, it depends on if the emergency brake pedal is depressed. I started a long thread about my batteries always being tied together, only to find out that they should be at times.

Grounds - Grounds - Grounds. With all that is going on, it almost has to be a bad ground or open CB. I don't see anything on my schematic that has anything to do with the starter motor or the lights.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with ground. Like you said could be loose or dirty or combo of either. But would explain all symptoms.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #34

Positive wire on the starter selonoid or bad selonoid. Try jumping across the 2 big studs with a pair of pliers. Watch you don't touch any ground.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #35

Bad grounds is the only thing common with everything that is not working. From what I can see, the CB does not feed the lights and starter. The isolation solenoid doesn't either. If it is wide open, it just won't tie the battery banks together. The would still feed their respective circuits; house or chassis.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720
Positive wire on the starter selonoid or bad selonoid. Try jumping across the 2 big studs with a pair of pliers. Watch you don't touch any ground.
And if he has his key on while doing that it should start if he has power to that point( doubt it but never know)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Big red wire to small red wire to see if the solenoid and starter motor are working. How do you explain why he doesn't have lights? On some vehicles, there is a third wire that feeds the fuse panels. Not so on my `04 and I don't think it does on his `03.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sounds like a bad Battery Control Center (BCC) to me. I would try to bypass it. Look at the drawing under the cover. Find the chassis power cable coming into it from the chassis battery and move it to the ignition output terminal. If it works, then you have a problem with the BCC.

Note: Disconnect shore power and all batteries before you move any power cable just to be safe. you don't want to short anything out with your wrench.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Bad grounds is the only thing common with everything that is not working. From what I can see, the CB does not feed the lights and starter. The isolation solenoid doesn't either. If it is wide open, it just won't tie the battery banks together. The would still feed their respective circuits; house or chassis.

But you have to remember it needs the positive side too. All of that comes off the positive side of the battery to the selonoid. And all the Fords I've seen have the selonoid with 2 big wires (positive) and 2 small wires (electromagnet) for starting. When you turn your key to start it fires the electromagnet to close the circuit for the positive side to the starter. All it's doing is connecting those 2 big wires together till the engine starts and you let go of the key. I've had the wire lose contact on the selonoid and the starter.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #40

With my house disconnect switch off(No power to house)my motor will still start and my head lights will still come on.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
But you have to remember it needs the positive side too. All of that comes off the positive side of the battery to the selonoid. And all the Fords I've seen have the selonoid with 2 big wires (positive) and 2 small wires (electromagnet) for starting. When you turn your key to start it fires the electromagnet to close the circuit for the positive side to the starter. All it's doing is connecting those 2 big wires together till the engine starts and you let go of the key. I've had the wire lose contact on the selonoid and the starter.
He said he cleaned the battery terminals. He has not said he cleaned the grounds. I know how a starter/solenoid works. Yes, there are two big lugs and a wire to activate the solenoid, but not two big wires, just a short one that goes into the starter motor. I can take a picture of mine if you want.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dunner, Some RVs have 2 disconnects. One for the chassis batteries and one for the coach batteries.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote