Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
My own best RV technician

My local guy in Long Beach has been sooooo busy the past year I've given up and it's probably a good thing.
In the past few months I've needed a new door switch for my steps, a/c service for the 3rd time(he's serviced it twice) and tracking down a blown fuse on the jake brake.
Within the past week I've serviced all of these items. I ordered the door switch for my kwikee steps in Amazon, I traced and found the blown 5 amp fuse for the jake brake. This weekend I dove into the a/c system. He had it charged to 80 pounds! The fan had 3 blades missing and was inoperable. I bought the a/c gauges and the new electric fan at Haps auto supply. Total cost for the a/c repair, switch was less than $100.00. I bled the system down to the acceptable operating range.
I've enjoyed getting to know my coach a little more intimately, my wife even crawled underneath to hold the fan while I affixed it to the a/c radiator.

Kieth and Ellen 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 34 wds. Enjoying sunny spots in So Cal and the Southwest.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
That's awesome and rewarding. I've had to learn how to work on my Aerbus, primarily because nobody in the Denver metro area wants to work on older class A's and if they do, they charge an absolute fortune. I've learned a lot and it is a rewarding experience.

'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
I have done all my own repairs because I live 2 1/2 hrs. from the dealer.
It gives me something to do and I just keep a running list of things that need to be done. It is good to know your rv inside and out. Youtube is very helpful.
Thor Challenger 37GT,5 Star Tuning,Roadmaster Reflex,Swaybar Fix, Smittybilt tow bar, 05 Chevy Colorado, Mightyhauler Motorcycle lift, Kawasaki KLR
Thor 37GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I have tried to do pretty much all my own repair until May of this year. I had a catastrophic radiator and had it towed to a Cummins shop. Luckily it ended up being covered insurance since the cost was ~+$7K. Hind site being 20-20 I could have done it myself but the cost to me would have been +$4.5K. But next time I will know.

In the last couple years I had to replace 1 roof AC blower motor, the EMS control board, and the surge tank on my coolant system. I also fixed 3 fogged windows. Also, I just installed a hardwired HW50C surge protector.

I would hate to think what all these things would have cost.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
I try to do most of my own repairs. Although with the present rig and all it's electronics it's getting harder to do. I just am not as fast as those electrons anymore!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
There is so much to be gained by doing it yourself.
I have been doing my own repairs and service work for over 10 years now.
I have a new to us coach in the last 6 months so the learning curve begins again.
Gota love it.
New to us 2008 Dutch Star 4035
Major upgrade from our 2006 Goof Stream Crescendo
Dutchstar08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
You Tube is a great tool.. Our convection oven turntable quit last week. I found a video on how to test and replace it.. This morning in less than 5 minutes I had the motor in hand and tested. I found the replacement and ordered a new motor from Sears Parts Direct. Having a motorhome is a constant learning process..
2004 Holiday Rambler DST
Jefferson City, Missouri
Navy vet 67/71 Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Way to go Keith!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
If you are capable and willing, most always the outcome is better than some other person doing it. I have never been one for taking any of my equipment to a repairman if it is something I could do. It can be frustrating at times but so is spending a bunch of money and not being happy with someone else's schlock workmanship.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
Doing the work youself

I understand the feeling. I brought my 2008 Monaco to the shop to have a new Slide cable installed(other broke). 2 weeks later still not done. I already had a trip planed so I took it back and 4 hrs later had it rplaced myself. It was kind of hard since it seems to be a 2 person job. It helps while some one is feeding the new cable through and other is guiding it inside. Buy I got it done myself and feel proud that i did it
MSgtNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I like doing mine myself, leaves no one to blame but me... PMs done or not.
1995 Monaco Dynasty
32' B5.9 Banks, 6 speed Alison 3060
2008 HHR Panel toad
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
I usually feel guilty if I don't do most things myself and comes from when you had to, or it didn't get done, I guess.
Now, at my age, I don't mind hiring out the heavy duty stuff and only ask that these would be professionals do as nice a job, as I would do and even if it's the first time I have ever attempted it.

07 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_C9 Clatterpillar_ Allison 3000
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote