Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
My Parking Brake Will Not Release

My Ultimate Freedom with a Cummins ISL 400 and Allison transmission will not let me release the parking brake. I push it in to release, and it just pops back out.

I have noticed that it has been doing this a few times lately but always eventually released. Not so now, at least not yet. Air pumps up fine, and yes, I am holding my foot on the brake.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My only experience with this problem, and it was not on a motor home but a 7 ton crane truck, Anyway what I ended up doing was to push on the brakes for all I was worth, shove in the lever, hold it in and slowly release the brakes. It did release but we took it in for it to be looked at and some valve had to be replaced, it was going bad. Fortunately we caught it before a complete failure happened. This is just my experience, probably others out there with diesel mhs will be able to advise you better.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

Do you see air pressure? The parking brake will not release until it sees about 60psi. It will automatically apply the brakes at about 30 psi.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sorry, it was so long ago that I do not remember how much pressure I was up when I finally got them to release.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Do you see air pressure? The parking brake will not release until it sees about 60psi. It will automatically apply the brakes at about 30 psi.
Yes, it pumps up to 100 psi.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Are you talking about the yellow diamond popping back out after pushing it in? If so, the valve needs replacing. Many auto/truck parts places can match up a replacement.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Are you talking about the yellow diamond popping back out after pushing it in? If so, the valve needs replacing. Many auto/truck parts places can match up a replacement.
Yes, that is what I am talking about. The "Pull to apply, Push to release" parking brake.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #8

Although I've never heard of one sticking that has adequate pressure, anything is possible. These things are cheap, about $25-$30. I just replaced mine that was leaking. Look up PP-1 or go here: Valve Dash PP1 Hand Operated, KN20021, Haldex-Midland - Ryder Fleet Products
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have the same problem. What was your final solution. Thanks for the reply. Rambler05
Old 01-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler05 View Post
We have the same problem. What was your final solution. Thanks for the reply. Rambler05
I took my MH to a shop that specializes in truck repair, but also works on motorhome chassis (after mechanically releasing the air brake), and they correctly diagnosed the problem.

There is a master air valve located underneath the front end in my unit that was bad. They replaced it and all is fine now. It is the valve that the parking brake switch connects to.

PM me if you want more details.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This happened to me once, only for a short time. I just bought another switch and will replace it. Mine is 15 years old, hopefully that will do the trick if it happens again. The switch is easy to change out. The previous poster does have real life experience in the fix.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake