Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

My Plan for My First RV!!

I am semi retired at age 53 and have been bored out of my mine. Am getting on my wifes nerves also. I am disabled also but had Lap Band surgery and doing better.

I accepted a job as an Independent contractor hauling stuff for Wal Mart in my pickup. I will be staying 75 miles away from home 5 days a week and home sun. and Mon.
Instead of 1 yr lease for apt. we have been wanting to get an RV and found a good buy.

It is a 2000 Allegro Bay 36' Class A with 2 slides, all inside goodies including washer/dryer. It is on a Ford chassy with V 10 and has 43ooo miles and new tires all around. It ran out great for 450 mile run driven by mechanic and is being gone over completely by mechanic now and will pick up next weekend.

The retail is 38,000.00, wholesale trade in is 28,000.00 and I bought for 15,000.00!!

I will have in parked in a RV Park for 425/mo which includes all utilities, pool, shower, laundry, general store etc. An apt would have cost more. I will be living in it year round and use it on vacations later.

Was going to get new 21' TT but would be hard to heat and cost more than what I spent. My Class a is 4 season and has a 7000 watt generator and electric or propane heat and dual roof AC. I will drive at least once a month and keep up with not letting it get rundown by sitting.

Any comments or recommendations? This is first post and hope it is not to longwinded!
First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

Holy Mackerel! That's a super price. How'd you get a deal like that?
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First...Congrats on the Lap Band. I had a VSG done a little over a year ago and 140# ago! LIFE CHANGING! Don't forget you will have to work your plan EVERY DAY...for the rest of your life.

Sounds like you got a great deal. Where are you at? Will you be dealing with cold weather? Provide as much info as possible to help us toss out a few suggestions.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
First...Congrats on the Lap Band. I had a VSG done a little over a year ago and 140# ago! LIFE CHANGING! Don't forget you will have to work your plan EVERY DAY...for the rest of your life.

Sounds like you got a great deal. Where are you at? Will you be dealing with cold weather? Provide as much info as possible to help us toss out a few suggestions.
Hi, I live in McCook, NE and will be parked in North Platte, NE. We are in a severe drought and our last decent snow was Nov. of 2011. Temps have been warm so far and will be in 60's and 70's thru this Sun.

So when it decides to get cold 0 to 15 below is not unusual but not for a long time. Jan. and Feb. are coldest at 0 to 30's. Windy conditions here are normal and several times this year at 50mph plus. Add snow to that and I am not working that day cause hiways will be closed.

I have lost 70# so far and it is hard to ween yourself off the good fat producing food but well worth the outcome!!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Holy Mackerel! That's a super price. How'd you get a deal like that?
I know a small dealer owner here that got this at auction in Kansas City for a steal and since I have bought trucks from him before he said he would sell to me at this price.

I could not believe it and my brother offered 20K sight unseen and of course I said NO!

I also used to drive 18 wheelers for a living so size is not bothering me. Now Wife is 4'11" and is excited about learning to drive it. That makes me a bit nervous.