Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #15

Also the coment on not caring about WOT MPG is not ture at all. With only 300hp and almost 36k total weight this thing will be at Max power alot of the time.

So this is why I feel trying to get a solution on the possable intake problem is worth looking into to try and free up some air flow for better hp on the same fueling.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasEnglish View Post
I feel most of Amsoil test are to short tearm. I have seen 2 transmission that we run in our Lancer Evolutions that had over 100k worth of gear ware with in 10k so to say the least I am not a Amsoil fan. I have also seen 10+ oil pump faiures in our car from Amsoil peole telling people the 0w oils will be fine in there 700+hp 4 cylinders.

These are my facts proven to me by real life data. Not random test that skew the way they want.

Also with the amount of weight I will be pulling gear protecton is key. So I will just keep Proven factory fluids in her for now.
AMSOIL has tested their synthetic lubricants for over 40 years. Longer than any other company. No complaints are listed with the BBB for any AMSOIL performance claims. They have the highest rating (A+) and are not even BBB members. No complaints listed by consumer or government agencies.

AMSOIL and Jeff Foster Trucking company just completed a 5 year 500,000 mile test on one single drain interval of AMSOIL SAE 50 Long Life Synthetic Transmission fluid and concluded less viscosity breakdown, better wear protection, longer fluid life, than OEM at OEM recommended drain intervals.

The Texas State Police have 3,000 cars and because of their severe duty, used to change their oil at 2,000 to 3,000 mile intervals based on used oil analysis and engine tear downs. For the past ten years, they have used AMSOIL synthetic lubricants and filters and have changed oil and filter every 20,000 miles based on used oil analysis and engine teardowns. Less wear and much fewer mechanical issues. Texas Parks and Wildlife is also doing the same thing.

Did you share your data and issues with AMSOIL, Inc.? Did you file a warranty claim with AMSOIL for the failed parts so the root cause can be determined? Could have been a bad batch of pumps and gears or the wrong AMSOIL used. Do you have any quantitative scientific data showing any lubricant or filter outperforms AMSOIL? Please share if you do. AMSOIL has published data over the past 40 years that they out perform the other lubricants by name in standard test methods and over the road tests. As of yet, none of the named lubricants, consumer or government agencies have ever disputed AMSOIL's independent test data. They would if they could.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #17

Well I am sure in the domestic market they have it figured out but in our import market they dont.

These were customers cars. I run factory fluids and dont see these problems so there was no need for me as a shop to waste my time. Maybe they chose the wrong product for there application, but I do know a dealer sold them what they need. I think the dealers are half the problem with our cars anyway because they dont under stand what they need. A avg car we build is 400-500 whp out of 122cu and we have a hand full that have done over 1000whp out of 122cu. I have built close to 400 motors for our cars and I know what works and does not.

I have had good luck with the Amsoil Dominator 20/50 in our cars. Its the gear oil stuff that I stay factory with at the moment.

Either way this is thread is off track on the oil deal. I have alot of data and testing on oils I have done my self but that is for another time.

So back to project mpg. I hope that I have a good scoop built by this weekend that does not suck the filter minder down. I will do a test run to Seattle to see what I can get this weekend.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Well I am sure in the domestic market they have it figured out but in our import market they dont.
AMSOIL lubricants have never been proven to have an engine or gear oil related failure, domestic or import, for 40 years when used as directed. Always contact AMSOIL, Inc. if you ever suspect an AMSOIL lube or filter failure. A 3rd party expert lab will analyze the lube, filter and parts to determine the problem. If AMSOIL causes the failure when used as directed, they will pay parts and labor to repair or replace.

You mention you use AMSOIL Dominator 20w50. Do you really mean Dominator 15w50? Just want to make sure.

Have you looked at the new Severe Gear SAE 190 and SAE 250 Race Gear lubes? AMSOIL Pro Race Teams use the Severe Gear lubes. No problems.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach has the same powertrain as yours, and weighs about the same.

The engine has had the Banks Stinger kit installed. Seems to be very powerful.

Our fuel mileage figures are the same as yours.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #20

If we can please stop the Amsoil in this tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
AMSOIL lubricants have never been proven to have an engine or gear oil related failure, domestic or import, for 40 years when used as directed. Always contact AMSOIL, Inc. if you ever suspect an AMSOIL lube or filter failure. A 3rd party expert lab will analyze the lube, filter and parts to determine the problem. If AMSOIL causes the failure when used as directed, they will pay parts and labor to repair or replace.

You mention you use AMSOIL Dominator 20w50. Do you really mean Dominator 15w50? Just want to make sure.

Have you looked at the new Severe Gear SAE 190 and SAE 250 Race Gear lubes? AMSOIL Pro Race Teams use the Severe Gear lubes. No problems.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #21

Thanks for the info.

Did you do the kit? Did you gain or lose MPG with the kit? or keep the same MPG but climb the hills much better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Our coach has the same powertrain as yours, and weighs about the same.

The engine has had the Banks Stinger kit installed. Seems to be very powerful.

Our fuel mileage figures are the same as yours.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #22

Read the Cummins one so far is a pretty good read. Makes me want some bald tires with no lugs I don't have lugs now but the tires sure have good tread. Synthetic fluids look to be a good mod. (Should make our Amsoil guy happy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
You might get more benefit out of reading these two publications
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #23

Quote:
I have seen 2 transmission that we run in our Lancer Evolutions that had over 100k worth of gear ware with in 10k so to say the least I am not a Amsoil fan. I have also seen 10+ oil pump faiures in our car from Amsoil peole telling people the 0w oils will be fine in there 700+hp 4 cylinders.
I'm sorry you and your customers experienced this. It is simply a case of using the wrong gear oil and viscosity for that application that AMSOIL, Inc. does NOT recommend for that specific application and states such on the website. It would be like using the world's best coolant as engine oil. Stick with AMSOIL, Inc. recommendations and all will be better than fine. When in doubt, call AMSOIL's technical department.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Read the Cummins one so far is a pretty good read. Synthetic fluids look to be a good mod. (Should make our Amsoil guy happy)
Auto, truck and oil manufacturers and our government and consumer agencies are all in agreement on that! Synthetic market share is growing. New diesel engine oil specs coming out in 2015 will emphasize synthetics to reduce wear, improve oil stability and increase oil life, and to improve mpg. Timeline Fixed for Heavy-duty Upgrade Fortunately, AMSOIL is already there today and has been for decades.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #25
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Happy Amsoil user here - ATV, 2 cars and motor home. "nuff said...each to their own oil.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At this point in time I'm suggesting if the Amsoil discussion is to be continued that it be done so by starting it's own thread.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Did you do the kit? Did you gain or lose MPG with the kit? or keep the same MPG but climb the hills much better?
I did not do the kit. The previous owner did it. I did not have a conversation with him. He wrote in the owners manual that the performance increase was dramatic. He claimed a gain of 75 Horsepower. I do not know if he put the engine on a dyno to find that out, or whether he was simply repeating the Banks hype in their installation manual, which I also have in my owner's manual.

I have nothing to compare to. I do know that the engine has more power than this coach needs. Never any smoke. I have to watch the exhaust temperature gauge at full power on really heavy grades, and shift back to keep the engine revs up. That's exactly what the Banks installation manual states should happen.

I've never had to shift back any more than 4th gear, never slower than 45mph. That's with two of us in the coach, all our gear, pulling the toad (also loaded with about 800lb. of gear) as you can see in our avatar.

I cannot really tell any difference in power, handling or fuel economy with or without the toad. (I believe the coach handles a little better when towing.)
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #28

Here is our scoop we made. Will get some testing on the filter minder tomorrow. Was pulling to 15 before hopeing for better.

Tags
cummins