Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salisbury, Pa.
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
RV Poppy,
May I ask, what year/model your Winne is? Based on your description of it's condition, I'd guess it's regular fiberglass sides, correct? Now, It would be nice if you could post some pics so I could see what I'm dealing with. I've done many "rub-outs" where the condition of the paint/fiberglass was in poor shape and brought them back to life. Without a doubt, it's going to be some serious labor, for sure. But, a professional buffer would help quite a bit. I'm not talking of those cheapo random-orbital wax applicator/removers, I'm talking about the pro models like the Dewalt: (DWTDWP849X)

Yes, they cost a bit but, they make you, and your project, look like professional has been at work. Of course you'll need some buffing
liquid/paste too. But, back to the problem. If your coach is in fairly sad shape, I'd start with, and you won't like this, some cleanser (Comet) comes to mind and some soap and water.

With the use of cleanser, you'll remove all oxidation, stains, deterioration and more. Then, you'll be starting with a new, fresh finish. And it will improve from there. Otherwise, you're polishing dirt.
Scott
Trust me. I would not just get on here asking for help had I not already tried multiple cleaners and plenty of soap and water. Have not tried the comet but doing that today with green cleaning pad. Do not think it will work either but will give it a go.
__________________

__________________
RV Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
JBDISCOVERY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 414
The suggestions to use ZEP have merit. Was reluctant to use it, but did so anyway. Looks great. Key is to clean the surface fully and then use the ZEP.
Believer now.
Regards,
JimB

1999 Fleetwood Discovery
__________________

__________________
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Woodstock GA
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Poppy View Post
Trust me. I would not just get on here asking for help had I not already tried multiple cleaners and plenty of soap and water. Have not tried the comet but doing that today with green cleaning pad. Do not think it will work either but will give it a go.
Have you tried hitting it with a good pressure washer (2800 psi+) and a medium tip? Mine looked similar and that did the trick.
__________________
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
powercat_ras's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
Have you tried hitting it with a good pressure washer (2800 psi+) and a medium tip? Mine looked similar and that did the trick.
Use a 2800 psi pressure washer incorrectly and you will damage your RV side walls. Don't do this unless you have the required skill set. Perhaps you can practice on imob's RV before you do your own.
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Woodstock GA
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Use a 2800 psi pressure washer incorrectly and you will damage your RV side walls. Don't do this unless you have the required skill set. Perhaps you can practice on imob's RV before you do your own.
Its white fiberglass... like a boat. You could blow water in seals and cause water intrusion. You could damage the graphics. But unless your using the pencil jet tip like its a CNC Router... it is not going to damage the fiberglass. and yes I did this cleaning on my own 16 yr old white fiberglass RV.

OH and for note really all I meant by a "real pressure washer" was more of meaning not using one of those electric ones that barely have enough power to move a leaf.
__________________
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Member
 
426smartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Campbellsville Ky
Posts: 97
Try bleach -- I did everything everyone suggested and it helped but bleach did the trick on the unpainted fiberglass. Mine had the small hairline cracks and it got the black out--- then I did the zep on the unpainted surface only!
__________________
2003 Itasca Sunflyer 39T W22 8.1
426smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Rockwood27's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Freedom, NH
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426smartin View Post
Try bleach -- I did everything everyone suggested and it helped but bleach did the trick on the unpainted fiberglass. Mine had the small hairline cracks and it got the black out--- then I did the zep on the unpainted surface only!
The Zep Mold Stain and Mildew Stain Remover I referenced in post 10 is a bleach based product with surfactants. I believe the surfactants help keep the bleach on the surface longer and pull the bleach into the pores.
__________________
Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salisbury, Pa.
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Go to Home Depot and buy 8 things.
1. Bar Keeper's Friend (BKF)
2. Several packs of blue 3M scotchbrite pads
3. A couple of sponges
4. 3-4 Zep spray bottles
5. A bucket of Awesome powder
6. A gallon of Zep Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
7. A gallon of Zep Wet-Look Floor Polish
8. A package of white rags or face cloths

Mix the Awesome in a bucket of water and wash the MH, starting with the roof. Next, pour some mold and mildew remover in a spray bottle. Spray the sides of the MH in small areas and wash with the sponge or scotchbrite. Rinse and repeat in a new area. Use a scotchbrite and sprinkle with the BKF. Scour the side of the MH. Yes, it will turn it scary dull! Rinse as you go. Rewash the MH with the Awesome. Wait for it to completely dry. Finally, pour some Wet-Look into a spray bottle. Spray some Wet-Look on a white (don't use color) rag. Wipe it on the MH with one stroke only...don't rub. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes. Repeat the Wet-Look application 4 or 5 more times until the streaking is gone. Your done for at least 2-3 years. Stand on the side of your MH and smile! You will see your reflection deep down into the surface!

I had similar black spots on my Itasca and all the rubbing and scouring wouldn't remove them. A quick application of the mold and mildew remover made them disappear in seconds.

Search for Zep wet look ...there are lots of great threads about its use and application.
For all of you folks that have responded to this post and blessed me with your input I thank you. In my short time using this forum I can see I will research it often. For all of you that have followed this post in hopes of finding a solution to your problems pay close attention. If your RV looks like mine did, then I must say that this is where you need to start. Thank you Rockwood27 for this info. I have not even gotten to the Wet Look part yet but the results thus far have me amazed. I have tried multiple cleaning agents, with various cleaning pad, and plenty of elbow grease, only to walk away cussing. I have followed this info step by step, but the biggest helper, in my opinion, is the mold and mildew remover. Cudos Rockwood27 and thank you a ton!!
__________________
RV Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sacramento Area
Posts: 3,346
Thank You for your success post.

Two important concepts that help make this forum so productive at times:

Your follow up post detailing your success is a very valuable resource to future researchers on this forum looking for a solution to a similar problem.

You can also use the "thanks" button at the bottom of a thread post to directly thank the poster who provided some info of help to you.
__________________
Dean
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
spritz's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: c above
Posts: 4,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Poppy View Post
For all of you folks that have responded to this post and blessed me with your input I thank you. In my short time using this forum I can see I will research it often. For all of you that have followed this post in hopes of finding a solution to your problems pay close attention. If your RV looks like mine did, then I must say that this is where you need to start. Thank you Rockwood27 for this info. I have not even gotten to the Wet Look part yet but the results thus far have me amazed. I have tried multiple cleaning agents, with various cleaning pad, and plenty of elbow grease, only to walk away cussing. I have followed this info step by step, but the biggest helper, in my opinion, is the mold and mildew remover. Cudos Rockwood27 and thank you a ton!!
I used a product called Mold Armor sprayed on the end of a garden hose.
I used lots of different products to get it too shine again with a lot of work. Then I went back to a old reliable a paste wax from Turtle and wahoo what a product. Removed lite oxidation and left me a nice shine. Being retired I have lots of time to spend on her.
1982 PA Original colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110133.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	140573   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110101.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	140574  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110220.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	140575   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110310.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	140576  

__________________
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Go to Home Depot and buy 8 things.
1. Bar Keeper's Friend (BKF)
2. Several packs of blue 3M scotchbrite pads
3. A couple of sponges
4. 3-4 Zep spray bottles
5. A bucket of Awesome powder
6. A gallon of Zep Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
7. A gallon of Zep Wet-Look Floor Polish
8. A package of white rags or face cloths

Mix the Awesome in a bucket of water and wash the MH, starting with the roof. Next, pour some mold and mildew remover in a spray bottle. Spray the sides of the MH in small areas and wash with the sponge or scotchbrite. Rinse and repeat in a new area. Use a scotchbrite and sprinkle with the BKF. Scour the side of the MH. Yes, it will turn it scary dull! Rinse as you go. Rewash the MH with the Awesome. Wait for it to completely dry. Finally, pour some Wet-Look into a spray bottle. Spray some Wet-Look on a white (don't use color) rag. Wipe it on the MH with one stroke only...don't rub. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes. Repeat the Wet-Look application 4 or 5 more times until the streaking is gone. Your done for at least 2-3 years. Stand on the side of your MH and smile! You will see your reflection deep down into the surface!

I had similar black spots on my Itasca and all the rubbing and scouring wouldn't remove them. A quick application of the mold and mildew remover made them disappear in seconds.

Search for Zep wet look ...there are lots of great threads about its use and application.
Is there a temperature restriction for application of the ZEP cleaner, wax process?
__________________
diga823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
I used zep on my new to me 2000 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster that looked terrible. I used the barkeepers friend to clean and followed the other directions as listed above. My unit is 34 ft so by the time I got around it was dry so I could go again. I gave it 5 light coats and it looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the neighbors think so.
__________________
Beaver Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salisbury, Pa.
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver Isle View Post
I used zep on my new to me 2000 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster that looked terrible. I used the barkeepers friend to clean and followed the other directions as listed above. My unit is 34 ft so by the time I got around it was dry so I could go again. I gave it 5 light coats and it looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the neighbors think so.
I am totally with you on the new thing. Mine is not new either, but it is new to me and why I was so desperate to cleaner er up. Starting to turn it around one step at a time and once again you all have been great with your info and follow ups.
__________________
RV Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: upstate South Carolina
Posts: 104
Rockwood27 you are da' man!!
I had a little of that "black rash" show up on my coach so I went to Lowes and got a bottle of the Zep Mold Stain and Mildew Stain Remover. I sprayed some on a Mr. Clean pad and gently rubbed the areas. You could watch the black stuff disappear! I then rinsed it off with a wet rag and dried with a towel. I haven't gotten brave enough to do the "Wet Look" yet but I'm getting close.
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Upstate South Carolina
2002 Discovery 37U
330 CAT power
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sick of Winter gonzo Monaco Owner's Forum 3 01-07-2009 10:19 AM
Sick of Winter already buckeyes iRV2.com General Discussion 38 12-17-2008 06:18 PM
What's going on with RVers, this is really sad and sick. Radarr Just Conversation 43 03-12-2006 01:30 PM
Lynda's sick ParTheCourse Northeast Region 27 05-11-2005 06:23 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.