Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

My RV looks sick...please help!

Recently purchased a Winnebago and the sides are disgusting. I do not think it is what you would call black streaks but more like black spots embedded in the finish. I have tried several cleaners and sponges and pads but nothing has worked so far. If you know what I am talking about and can lend any advice we would greatly appreciate it. I do not mind putting in the time or effort to get her pretty again but I am lost for now. Thanks in advance!!
RV Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Poppy View Post
Recently purchased a Winnebago and the sides are disgusting. I do not think it is what you would call black streaks but more like black spots embedded in the finish. I have tried several cleaners and sponges and pads but nothing has worked so far. If you know what I am talking about and can lend any advice we would greatly appreciate it. I do not mind putting in the time or effort to get her pretty again but I am lost for now. Thanks in advance!!
RV Poppy,
May I ask, what year/model your Winne is? Based on your description of it's condition, I'd guess it's regular fiberglass sides, correct? Now, It would be nice if you could post some pics so I could see what I'm dealing with. I've done many "rub-outs" where the condition of the paint/fiberglass was in poor shape and brought them back to life. Without a doubt, it's going to be some serious labor, for sure. But, a professional buffer would help quite a bit. I'm not talking of those cheapo random-orbital wax applicator/removers, I'm talking about the pro models like the Dewalt: (DWTDWP849X)

Yes, they cost a bit but, they make you, and your project, look like professional has been at work. Of course you'll need some buffing liquid/paste too. But, back to the problem. If your coach is in fairly sad shape, I'd start with, and you won't like this, some cleanser (Comet) comes to mind and some soap and water.

With the use of cleanser, you'll remove all oxidation, stains, deterioration and more. Then, you'll be starting with a new, fresh finish. And it will improve from there. Otherwise, you're polishing dirt.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you post some pictures of it?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:20 PM   #4

Winebago spots on finish

Bar Keepers friend can be found at Walmart in the cleanser aisle. It is a powder. $2.00 a can. It will not scratch the finish. Wet the coach apply bar keepers and use a no scratch pad. HD sells a no scratch blue pad by 3m. Wet down the pad and bar keepers before applying. It won't hurt if you let the bar keepers soak. Rinse very well and let the coach dry. Then apply protector 303. I hope this takes care of your problem.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago had a known condition (actually it was the fiberglass supplier) that caused a condition where the fiberglass actually developed pock marks known as osmotic blistering. The surface of the fiberglass opened up from within due to water being forced out through the gel coat and caused the spots. If this is the case, there is no fix other than to replace the walls estimates run anywhere from 30k to 40k depending how big the coach is and who does the work. Had a customer trying to trade one in with this condition the other day and you dont want to know how much it effected the value. Actually I think we declined even taking it in trade. Hope this isnt the issue in your case but sure sounds like it.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
My RV looks sick...please help!

You don't state your model year. If it is 2000-2002 likely it is osmotic blistering that several manufacturers experienced during this two year time period due to faulty Filon application by the supplier. The problem was corrected after 2002.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #7

I realize you indicated you dont believe it is Black Streaks but this is the product we used on our RV that significant black streaks and black marks on it.

ProSol Bugs N All - 1 Gallon Concentrated Vehicle Washing Solution.
BruceBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same problem on my 04 Brave. I have tried a lot of things and none have worked. I am going to watch this thread and hope someone has the answer.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #9

I would love to see an example of this condition. I have a 2000 Brave but do not have it, at least as far as I know.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to Home Depot and buy 8 things.
1. Bar Keeper's Friend (BKF)
2. Several packs of blue 3M scotchbrite pads
3. A couple of sponges
4. 3-4 Zep spray bottles
5. A bucket of Awesome powder
6. A gallon of Zep Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
7. A gallon of Zep Wet-Look Floor Polish
8. A package of white rags or face cloths

Mix the Awesome in a bucket of water and wash the MH, starting with the roof. Next, pour some mold and mildew remover in a spray bottle. Spray the sides of the MH in small areas and wash with the sponge or scotchbrite. Rinse and repeat in a new area. Use a scotchbrite and sprinkle with the BKF. Scour the side of the MH. Yes, it will turn it scary dull! Rinse as you go. Rewash the MH with the Awesome. Wait for it to completely dry. Finally, pour some Wet-Look into a spray bottle. Spray some Wet-Look on a white (don't use color) rag. Wipe it on the MH with one stroke only...don't rub. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes. Repeat the Wet-Look application 4 or 5 more times until the streaking is gone. Your done for at least 2-3 years. Stand on the side of your MH and smile! You will see your reflection deep down into the surface!

I had similar black spots on my Itasca and all the rubbing and scouring wouldn't remove them. A quick application of the mold and mildew remover made them disappear in seconds.

Search for Zep wet look ...there are lots of great threads about its use and application.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

those blister ccan be chiped off and filled and sanded smooth.. of course you will need some paint..but to start with you could get the color match or paint code and have it put in spray cans and blend in and ive seen some nice jobs ...at 2 feet you can see it but what the eck,,
Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same problem. I get most of my black spots with a buffer and a good cleaner wax.
Someday I might try the Zep approach but no rush on getting into all that work. Maybe when I have nothing more important to do like golf, camping, traveling, watching grandkids, church, etc etc etc.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #13

I use bon Ami cleaner ( it's non scratching ) and simple green and a soft brush and wash mitt.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Poppy View Post
Thanks to all for your responses and I will start trying them all until something works out. I just hope it is something I do not have to live with. Bought it used with low miles and everything works fine so will deal with ugly if I must. It is a 2003 Adventurer and I am attaching a couple pics as asked. Still new to this forum thing and the RV world but seems like a lot of great info here.

By the way. Not sure if pictures will show properly but there are no indents, peeling or flaking. Just seems like dirt embedded in surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160930_154755.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	140388   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160930_154800.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	140389  

RV Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote