Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
My search for a new class A

My experience with two of the biggest in RV sales:
Dealer #1 We drove to the dealer, two day trip. You want to "test drive" well you need to agree to this deal "XXX" first!
Dealer #2. I am getting smarter now, so all email or phone before we travel. Question - How big is the frig (two times) - no answer - ignored question, Question - what is the ccc (one time) and the answer was - when can you come look at it?. Email to sales manager for dealer #2 - "give me a salesman that will answer my questions" Sales mgr had orig. salesman answer!
Ok I guess I expect more than I deserve when it comes to buying a new RV. We shopped for a new toad last fall and dealers from two states were falling all over each other trying to get our business - and for a whole lot less money.
Can somebody explain?

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Go to an rv show. We went to FMCA in Indio a few weeks back and there were LOTS! Of very cooperative dealers there.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #3

That has not been our experience. All of the dealerships that we have dealt with have been more than cooperative.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Great experience and none of what you had - Lazy Days, Tampa and RV One, Orlando.
Saltydog44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

It's very disappointing that such a large purchase still comes with a cheesy used car sales approach. If these dealers were smart, they would find some of us old retired guys to man the lot, only have us work 1 day per week ( we're retired, we don't want to work that hard, but we like talking about RV's) so different old retired guys on the lot every day. just split the commissions amongst all of us who work 1 day a week ( customers would talk to several of us between first look at a coach and the final delivery and we're generally not that greedy)

Then as a buyer, you would get an honest look at both the RV and the RV lifestyle AND you would be dealing with some folks that would tell the dealer to "pound sand" before we would tell you any lies!!
JMHO, YMMV
Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

Not our experience either. I did do most of my homework on the internet in regards to the capacities and available options on the top 4-5 coaches we were considering at all. The information I culled from that process got us down to the final three coaches.
Visiting the dealers that sold those three; where we could actually walk through, touch and feel each coach, discover a few other considerations, have a salesman point out what he considered the strong points of each coach, and any negatives of those coaches, narrowed it down to the final two coaches.
The final decision process was just the two of us each prioritizing the pros and cons separately, then comparing and discussing together.
For the two of us, this process took the better part of a year. The final actual decision was made easier when the 2014 model year coaches came out and the one we were leading towards added the items that were previously lacking.

I really suggests you make your 'Got to have list', your 'would really like to have list', and then a separate list of negatives. Things you really don't want on your coach. Make sure 'price you want to spend' is included. Make sure floor plan is on the got to have list also, because that and price, are your two biggest considerations. This should get you to your final two coaches.
All the information you need is available to you on the internet. Ask questions that can't be found anywhere else here or on similar forums. Only then should you involve a dealer.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #7

You were fortunate to have not entered into an agreement with Dealer 1 or 2. Post sale the problems would have become worse. There are good dealers out there, continue your search.

Note: I sold MHs at a very large dealership. They did not want sales people with RV experience. They wanted a salesforce that had sharp talons that would entrap a customer. That was the reason I left the job after a short time and making an obscene amount of money. No, I do not wish to reveal which dealer it was.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
It's very disappointing that such a large purchase still comes with a cheesy used car sales approach. If these dealers were smart, they would find some of us old retired guys to man the lot, only have us work 1 day per week ( we're retired, we don't want to work that hard, but we like talking about RV's) so different old retired guys on the lot every day. just split the commissions amongst all of us who work 1 day a week ( customers would talk to several of us between first look at a coach and the final delivery and we're generally not that greedy)

Then as a buyer, you would get an honest look at both the RV and the RV lifestyle AND you would be dealing with some folks that would tell the dealer to "pound sand" before we would tell you any lies!!
JMHO, YMMV

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP Here: Follow up info. Went to Tampa show and looked at a bunch. End result confirming our choice which was not at the show. Liked a lot of them but not better than our choice. DW is on the fence with this purchase and I am ready. Figure I can pass on driving it but I promise DW will never agree to a deal without seeing and driving our choice first. Did do research on www and have our coach picked out. Challenger 37KT. Preferred paint and interior - done and the minimum options list done. That means list of dealers to pick from very short. I suspect in the end we will be forced to order or deal with Dealer #1. I just am amazed at the sales tactics involved in such a high dollar purchase. To bad for us that some of the well liked dealers - such as Lazy Days don't carry the Challenger. Some days I look at our coach and think "why bother."
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #10

Ctpres the buying process for you is certainly not the best given the dealers in your area you have to deal with. My DH did not enjoy the buying process for our last coach much at all. We both researched together what we each wanted, narrowed to three coaches and then combined and talked it through until we came to our final coach. We actually bought it without driving it and in fact having never even driven a Class A coach at all. I drove our Class C often, both with my DH and without. I have no doubt that after a time or two, I will be comfortable driving our new coach.
Try not to let the acquisition process spoil the wonderfully fun experience of owning an RV. We have had so much fun RVing!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
OP Here: Follow up info. Went to Tampa show and looked at a bunch. End result confirming our choice which was not at the show. Liked a lot of them but not better than our choice. DW is on the fence with this purchase and I am ready. Figure I can pass on driving it but I promise DW will never agree to a deal without seeing and driving our choice first. Did do research on www and have our coach picked out. Challenger 37KT. Preferred paint and interior - done and the minimum options list done. That means list of dealers to pick from very short. I suspect in the end we will be forced to order or deal with Dealer #1. I just am amazed at the sales tactics involved in such a high dollar purchase. To bad for us that some of the well liked dealers - such as Lazy Days don't carry the Challenger. Some days I look at our coach and think "why bother."
Glad everything worked out for you, You might want to check the ROCCC on that coach. Thor for some reason uses the 22,000 lb chasis, a little light for a 37ft MOHO.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We researched many DPs over several years of planning. Got it down to 2 manufacturers. As we live in a small town remote in the mountains, we flew to Tucson to look/drive the 2 brands. We were also assessing the dealers as we expect great treatment if we are writing a $300k+ check!

Dealer 1 was great, answered all our questions, did an extensive test drive with both of us driving, and even got the regional factory rep on the phone for clarification of new feature. Even offered a tour of all their facilities. They ended up quoting a better price than what I've seen on the internet.

Dealer 2 started on the wrong track after the 1st couple of lines out of the salesman's mouth. Even after giving the dealer time to recover, I could see they were not going to be much more than a "used car" dealer. They could have been $50k under dealer 1 and wouldn't have got our business.

From our signature line its not hard to figure out who got our order!
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
You have got to be kidding me You can pass on driving it before you buy it. LISTEN to the DW. You are not spending monopoly money and there is not ia "f you don't like it we will give you your money back policy" usually. Take it out for a test drive see how you like it in the wind, on the freeway, narrow 2 lane roads. If the dealer wont let you test drive it without a deal call the factory and ask them for the name of a dealer that will. For the kind of money you are spending an airplane ticket to a better dealer is literally a drop in the bucket. If the factory cannot find a dealer you can deal with maybe time to rethink the one you like.

A few years ago the wife and I wanted a Mercedes sports car. We drove to a couple of dealers that had what we wanted but since the car was a two seater they refused to let the both of us take it out. Wanted me to test drive with a salesman and then the wife test drive with a salesman we said no and left. Had two dealerships do that. We went to a dealer in Tulsa, Ok and the salesman said they did not have that model in but was getting some next week. He asked us if we had considered a Porsche instead. We really liked the Mercedes but decided to look at the Porsche. We both drove it again two seater but not a problem for this dealer. We went back a week later and they had the Mercedes we wanted we test drove it. Test drove the Porsche again. Drove the Mercedes a second time then bought the Porsche. Sometimes there is a better choice than your first one and you have to drive it to find that out.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #14

I have been a used car dealer for over 45 years and I always I insisted the customer drive the car before they purchased it.. Motor Homes are much more expensive Don't even think about buying without an extensive test drive even two new coaches sometimes handle differently. Enjoy the hunt for your perfect RV..!! Happy Travels

Tags
class a