Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
My Tank Overfloweth

When I am connected to a water supply my fresh water tank continues to fill and overflow even though the valve is set to city water. I can open and close the valve and hear it work so I am baffled as to what is happening. Probably related is the fact that my water pump has started making a loud noise when pumping water and runs for a few minutes after turning off an open faucet, but it does go off indicating that I do not have an open faucet or leak.
Suggestions and solutions greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

What does it do when you put valve a water tank fill? Does it fill the tank? Maybe the knob on the valve slipped and when on city water you are on water tank fill.

The problem with the water pump sounds like you have air in the line someplace causing it to take a while to shutdown.

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
That's a pretty basic connection. Sounds like the valve is failing to me. /ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The one way check valve at the water pump is bad and alowing the water to go back through the pump to the tank. On mine I instaled a check valve on the tank side of the water pump.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Cat, your water pump has built in check valves that are supposed to prevent what you have going on. If you are sure that city water fill valve is off, that's the only thing I know of that might cause your problem.

Note many pumps have rebuild kits available that would include new check valves. If you're up for a little do it yourself service, these are a great plan.

Second thought, still on the pump. Many coaches do not have a filter or anything preventing something like a plastic shaving from entering the pump and causing a check valve to hang open/malfunction....
Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had that happen to mine and I replace the water pump and problem was gone.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

Mine did the same thing. Closed the manual valve that had been installed between the FW tank and the pump which solved the problem, for awhile. Few weeks later had a major leak at the pump strainer fitting. Seems the pump valves couldn't hold the city water pressure and cracked the strainer housing. Called Aqua Tech and got the instructions for rebuilding it. Several bolts snapped off during disassembly and I gave up when diapham holding the one way discs refused to come out. Ordered a new pump, ten years of service was good enough.
I am thinking about putting a check valve between the pump and the coach water system just to relieve the constant pressure on the pump head when under city pressure.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
First thanks for all of the input. Yes, when I open the tank fill switch the fresh water tank fills ok. When I close the valve I can feel and hear it close so I think that narrows it down to the water pump.
I will try to take a hard look at it this Saturday and decide if I need to rebuild or replace.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #9

Most RV water pumps are designed such that they work as a check valve when the pump is not running. Most likely yours is in need of rebuilding and depending upon what make/model you have, rebuild kits should be readily available and most of them come with instructions. You can probably find a kit on Amazon as well.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THere are two suspects:

1: ON board water pump check valves leaking

2: the valve you said was set to City Water... may be leaking as well

(2b: if you have a self-winteriizing system. one of those valves serves the same purpose as the city-fill valve so it's also a suspect)
Old 10-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Update, Pulled the old pump, it is a Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 manufactured in June of 2011, which means the warranty expired 5 months ago. Search of the internet didn't provide any leads to a "rebuild kit" but lots of conversation about how faulty these pumps have been and that Shurflo no longer makes them. Many spoke about the " jackhammer noise" which is a pretty fair description of what mine sounded like. My neighbor thought O had a big dog in my coach.
So I am looking for everybody's thoughts and recommendations on what pump to replace this one with. I like the idea of the high volume flow the 5.7 provided but didn't find anything like that on the internet.
Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and help.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Update, Pulled the old pump, it is a Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 manufactured in June of 2011, which means the warranty expired 5 months ago. Search of the internet didn't provide any leads to a "rebuild kit" but lots of conversation about how faulty these pumps have been and that Shurflo no longer makes them. Many spoke about the " jackhammer noise" which is a pretty fair description of what mine sounded like. My neighbor thought O had a big dog in my coach.
So I am looking for everybody's thoughts and recommendations on what pump to replace this one with. I like the idea of the high volume flow the 5.7 provided but didn't find anything like that on the internet.
Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and help.

These are a little pricy but the quality & reliability is top notch. You won't be sorry.

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Corpo...?f=Aquajet.php

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #13

Here you go. At the bottom of the first page you can see the diagram with part numbers. If the pump seems to be working OK otherwise, part #2 is you're most likely headache. Each of those 5 round "ports" is a check valve - the ones that must seal to prevent water from backing up into the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water.

If this were mine, I'd pull the pump down (you can see that's not going to take much) and inspect those valves to see if something isn't lodged under one of them, preventing it from sealing. If not a piece of crud holding one open, you'll most likely see one of them is cracked or deformed somehow, possibly the result of connecting up to a city water system with excessive water pressure, without a regulator?

http://www.shurflo.com/images/files/...-0201%2011.pdf
Old 10-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #14

We're replacing our 10 year old Aquajet with another of the same brand. It's manufactured by Aquatech in Irvine, Ca and also sold under the Remco brand. There are several variations.The one we're replacing is a variable speed 5.3 GPM but there are others that have a lower 3.5 GPM with and without variable speed.

falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank