RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mystery Leak and Major Damage

My `99 HR Vacationer came with carpet in the living area and bedroom. The bathroom and kitchen had wood look vinyl plank flooring. I knew going in that I had leak damage below the dinette. There were the telltale signs of wrinkled wallpaper near the floor.

Another damaged area that was hidden until I pulled carpet was in the bedroom wall nearest the bathroom. There was mold on the subfloor but it was dry. It looked like the source might have been a bathroom leak. Today we went in to replace the rotted sections of subfloor and to remove the vinyl plank flooring so we can put down new vinyl plank throughout the rig.

The rotten subfloor you see in the pic is wet. That's the mystery. The RV has been in a covered storage area since June. The freshwater tanks are empty and have been since I parked it. The toilet has been used a few times with water poured in after. The indicators show both tanks as empty.

The leak doesn't seem to originate at the toilet. It looks like it's coming from under the cabinet below the sink. It now looks like the damage is all from one leak that runs from the edge of the bedroom, through the bath, under the kitchen cabinets and into the space under the dinette.

What could cause this? Could it be something like a broken grey tank? There is a blue l-shaped pipe that goes into the base of the toilet that seems loose. My friend is holding it in the pic. You can move it around freely.

We're going to have to pull the lower kitchen cabinets and the cabinets in the bathroom and do repairs but I need to figure out the source of the problem.

The only other possible source I can think of is the AC which I've run while working on it. I've seen a little water come down the driver's side of the rig at times and think the drains are clogged. Seems unlikely but it's the only other source of water in the rig that's been used. Refrigerator isn't running, is on the opposite wall from the leak and shows no signs of leaks underneath it.

Anyone experienced something similar or have an idea where the culprit might be?

Gigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #2

The blue pex line is the water supply line to the toilet and the sprayer which is mounted on the wall. Carefully examine these when there is water pressure for slow leakage.

Do you have a kitchen slideout on the same side as the toilet? On our 1999 Diiplomat, the coupling connecting the flex hose from the sink to the gray-water tank was never properly glued. The slow leak whenever the sink was drained, eventually caused water damage to the particleboard flooring and popping the ceramic tile off.

Once wet, the wood remained saturated for a long time as it was trapped under the flooring.

Good luck.

Dave

kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would agree with Dave but I also would suggest that since it has been stored out of the weather but you have run the AC it might be good to check the roof near the side wall above the leak area, not a easy fix good luck.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidz_driver View Post
,,, Once wet, the wood remained saturated for a long time as it was trapped under the flooring ,,,
I concur. Had a water leak and delamination at the range hood exterior vent. Found the damage in early August and couldn't effect repairs until January. I seal exterior side of the vent to prevent further rain water ingress in August and when I opened the wall up in January it was still very wet. Ever with the 100 degree heat of summer wasn't enough to dry out the wall cavity

As far as what's leaking, I would start but pressurizing the potable side with 40 psi of air as if you were winterizing and start spraying the suspected plumbing with soapy water (I use Windex) looking for bubbles.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidz_driver View Post

Do you have a kitchen slideout on the same side as the toilet? On our 1999 Diiplomat, the coupling connecting the flex hose from the sink to the gray-water tank was never properly glued. The slow leak whenever the sink was drained, eventually caused water damage to the particleboard flooring and popping the ceramic tile off.

Once wet, the wood remained saturated for a long time as it was trapped under the flooring.

Good luck.

Dave
I don't have a slideout. Someone on Facebook mentioned they had the same Thetford toilet in their Rambler and an internal gasket hadn't been properly installed which led to leaks. We'll go through everything. None of the damaged wood covered by carpet was still wet but perhaps the water trapped beneath the vinyl didn't dry out because the vinyl doesn't 'breathe'.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I would agree with Dave but I also would suggest that since it has been stored out of the weather but you have run the AC it might be good to check the roof near the side wall above the leak area, not a easy fix good luck.
Thanks, I will. The damaged walls we removed around where the dinette was looked like water moving up instead of coming down. We're starting to remove the lower kitchen cabinet tonight. If the damage looks similar, I'm going to guess this is from plumbing rather than AC. I'm hoping that's the case because we've already got the floor exposed.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
As far as what's leaking, I would start but pressurizing the potable side with 40 psi of air as if you were winterizing and start spraying the suspected plumbing with soapy water (I use Windex) looking for bubbles.
Thank's, that's a great idea.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

I don't think the Vacationer models will have internal AC condensate drains. Just dumps onto the roof, then down the side(s).
Old 11-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I don't think the Vacationer models will have internal AC condensate drains. Just dumps onto the roof, then down the side(s).
Well, then I guess it's working the way it's supposed to.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #10

See ....... Things are looking up !
Old 11-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Gary Bunzer (RV DR) has a nifty little tool you can make to test your fresh water plumbing for leaks without water.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:39 AM   #12

Thanks Reacher. I ordered one and we'll be testing everything out as soon as we finish repairing the damage.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigtime View Post
Thanks Reacher. I ordered one and we'll be testing everything out as soon as we finish repairing the damage.
Watched the above video and it was very informative. However, the store at FMCA has no such blue plug adapter that I could find.

Could you supply the link to the part that you ordered please?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #14

Joree, if you search on Amazon for ďWinterize your RVĒ one will come up. Itís not blue on the end but otherwise looks the same
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80DE4FA3-2022-4ECF-A8E1-E4FB617E4A7A.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	267349  

Tags
leak