Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

Mystery Line Draining Water Pressure

Hi, all, newbie here. So here's the deal: I came back a few days ago to find that a little clear pipe behind the rear wheel was spraying water all over. It seems to be directly tied into the main line, since it runs constantly even when no faucets are on. I checked, and none of the appliances are connected to it. It's right below the shower pan, but not connected to it either. I get no water pressure to anything else...it pirates everything.
Here's a picture: it's the line on the right. http://imgur.com/i6ALIe4
Anyone know what it is? I can't use any water until it's fixed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
low point drains?? They should have valves somewhere to shut them off.

TinCanTee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Please provide your make, model and year of your RV. That will be very helpful in giving those with experience in RVs similar to yours some ideas to assist you.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally low point drains are different than what I saw in the photos and I've never experienced shut offs on them. Generally they are just capped off. You'd put the covers back on once the unit has been completely drained.

All that said my guess is low point drain but as was already noted .... year make and model will get you a lot more info.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OH...and some questions and thoughts.

1. Are you on city water? Does turning city water on and off change anything.
2. Make sure that if you are connected to city water that the valve that fills your fresh water tank turned off. That will normally cause you to loose water to the rest of your coach and if those are overflow tube would explain why they are spraying water. You should also see your fresh water tank is full if that is the case.
3. If you aren't on city water, does the water flow from the tube change when turning your water pump on or off?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Normally low point drains are different than what I saw in the photos and I've never experienced shut offs on them. Generally they are just capped off. You'd put the covers back on once the unit has been completely drained.

All that said my guess is low point drain but as was already noted .... year make and model will get you a lot more info.
FWIW, my low point drains do have valves. Still, I don't think they are low point. I would think that low point drains would normally be closer to the water bay and water heater. But...I'm not sure I can tell from the picture whether or not this is near the water bay.

OTOH, the tube seems a little small for a fresh water tank overflow port.

If it is the fresh water overflow the good news is that if the OP has a pressure restrictor on the city water then it shouldn't "over pressure" the system if he has the fill valve open. At least that is my thought.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
the electrical wiring just dangling there is scary.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

Wow, quick response from everyone! OK, I'll try to answer everything:
1. It's a 1983 Fleetwood Southwind 30'.
2. I was on city water at the time. Turning it off caused the flow to eventually peter out, but as soon as it's turned back on it resumes.
3. Fresh water tank has a separate fill cap from city water, so there's no cross-play between the two.
4. I did fill fresh water and try using it instead. As soon as the water pump kicks in, it drains to that pipe and will do so until the tank is empty.

I'd been using water without incident for about a week before this happened. It dipped below freezing the night before; I have a hunch that's related but can't really figure out how. Again, really appreciate the quick responses!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
the electrical wiring just dangling there is scary.
A wee bit. The old mechanical fuel pump was replaced with an electric one by the previous owner. He did it himself, I think. Anyhow he wired it oddly; end result being that you can't use the dash heater. I'd like to redo that.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely look like low point drains. Usually there is a valve on the inside but you said that it is connected directly to the main line. With the freeze you mentioned could there have been a plug or valve on the outside that came off because of the freeze? Check the ground nearby. If it was I would suggest putting a valve on the inside unless that space is not heated. Would rather have the water blow off on the outside instead of making a mess on the inside.

HerbZilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may want to try posting your question in the Fleetwood forum also. Mine is a Fleetwood but my low point drains are completely different, but mine is a bit newer than yours.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Low point drains is the only reasonable explanation for a pair of open water lines. In older Fleetwoods, they are typically closed with a valve at floor level, on the inside. The bath area is a common location. Might be under a cover or trim molding of some sort.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

Solved! So it was indeed low point drains. They're just a tiny section of pipe with a pull ring...not at all what I expected a drain valve to look like. I feel pretty dumb for not noticing them sooner. Anyhow appreciate all the quick advice!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the world of on the job training!!! Glad it all worked out. Now back to the fun!

HerbZilla is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure