Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am glad that you found a resolution on the problem. I am amazed that anyone would fix something in that manner. You might want to go to lowes or Home depot or someplace like that and get an electrical outlet tester then check all of your electrical outlets to see if they are wired correctly. I know that there are posts from a certain individual that will tell you that in a certain condition those testers are not accurate but for the purpose you need it for at this point it will probably be a very inexpensive method of telling you if the receptacles all have power and a good ground. I believe once you have seen the type of electrical engineering performed on your breaker box that everything electrical in the coach is suspect until you check it out.
I have one of those testers actually. I will do that tonight when I get back. Thanks!

Alan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I'm assuming that you have a 50amp plug in use for shore power, but either way, someone has for whatever reason, decided to use only one side or hot wire to supply both sides of the breaker box. Don't know why this was done and maybe because one side was lost from their 50amp supply and they didn't know what else to do about it. If you were to use a 30amp plug and no converter cord, this would be required for energizing both sides of the box as well. Still don't really get it to the whys of this thing, but it should be easily corrected. If your EMS is showing 50amp, then this could just mean that both sides of the breaker box is energized and not necessarily with an opposite potential. The Jumper does this by feeding both sides with the same potential. Story short, it decreases the power available from 100amps @ 120v to 30amp @ 120v.
It is a total mystery to me but I am thinking along your lines that the problem was in the past with a pedestal. It still really makes no sense. It is defintely a head scratcher.

Alan

Old 10-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to join either the Monacoers Yahoo Group where you would have access to manuals and tons of very helpful information from other owners.

You won't find a useful generic diesel pusher manual.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the black/white error..

I happen to be a person who makes that kind of mistake many times.. I am not saying the electrican who posted it simply typed the wrong word.. but I've done that, I think black and type red or something like that.

Now here is the problem. RED can be a few different things depending on who put it there and what it was used for.

So, without eyes on and a meter as well. I'd not say what the red wire is. I notice some up-thread said.. Just that.

In an RV epically. Colors may not mean what you think.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #47

What I thought was kind of strange in the photo was that there was no ground wire with green insulation coming out of the cable. I know that RV cords don't have solid wire in them so that solid 14ga wire close by likely isn't going into the cable but somewhere else that can't be seen. But...where is the ground wire? If there is only a red, black, and white, then that's not an RV cable. If it was cut off, that's not good either.

Then the diameter of the cable looks more like 30A then 50A, but that's hard to tell from the photo.

But OP says that it's working now, and that it has a molded 4 prong head on the pedestal end so I guess I just can't see the ground wire. Maybe it's behind the panel?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ground wire is right behind the blue wire and is terminated in the ground bar. It is a bare conductor.

Someone also asked about Romex. The cable feeding that panel is fed with a piece of Romex (NM-B).
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
What I thought was kind of strange in the photo was that there was no ground wire with green insulation coming out of the cable. I know that RV cords don't have solid wire in them so that solid 14ga wire close by likely isn't going into the cable but somewhere else that can't be seen. But...where is the ground wire? If there is only a red, black, and white, then that's not an RV cable. If it was cut off, that's not good either.

Then the diameter of the cable looks more like 30A then 50A, but that's hard to tell from the photo.

But OP says that it's working now, and that it has a molded 4 prong head on the pedestal end so I guess I just can't see the ground wire. Maybe it's behind the panel?
Keep in mind that this is after the transfer switch so you aren't looking at the cord to the pedestal. The ground can be a separate wire from transfer box to ground buss in breaker box. As long as the bond is intact it could be difficult to see in the photo.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
The ground wire is right behind the blue wire and is terminated in the ground bar. It is a bare conductor.

Someone also asked about Romex. The cable feeding that panel is fed with a piece of Romex (NM-B).
Although the ground does appear to be a solid wire ground, the red wire (and probably the black wire) sure looks stranded to me (not NM-B). A separate solid or stranded ground from the transfer switch to the ground buss in the distribution panel is acceptable.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I happen to be a person who makes that kind of mistake many times.. I am not saying the electrican who posted it simply typed the wrong word.. but I've done that, I think black and type red or something like that.

Now here is the problem. RED can be a few different things depending on who put it there and what it was used for.

So, without eyes on and a meter as well. I'd not say what the red wire is. I notice some up-thread said.. Just that.

I'm more likely to think "red" and type "Killians"
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Although the ground does appear to be a solid wire ground, the red wire (and probably the black wire) sure looks stranded to me (not NM-B). A separate solid or stranded ground from the transfer switch to the ground buss in the distribution panel is acceptable.
All Romex #8 and larger have stranded conductors (black, red, white) and the grounds are ALWAYS bare and a solid conductor. It's obvious to see the black jacket surrounding the cable with the three colored conductors and the bare ground.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
All Romex #8 and larger have stranded conductors (black, red, white) and the grounds are ALWAYS bare and a solid conductor. It's obvious to see the black jacket surrounding the cable with the three colored conductors and the bare ground.
I stand corrected ... it very likely is #6 stranded NM-B.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Take it back to the stealer and have them test the electrical system and reconnect the wire. Is should be but an hour's worth of labor. Pay them to do it and if something gets fried, they were the last to work on it, they should cover their repair. If they don't want to work on it, call the BBB. After all, they sold you the coach and it is a hazard as it currently exists.
You should not have to pay them for the work. The MH should work when you bought it even though it is used.
Have the Stealer fix it, also make sure you check out everything while you can. When you get it back make sure to go through and run everything electrical from the generator and shore power.
Good luck and don't let the Stealer take anymore advantage of you.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

The picture is of the breaker panel in thebedroom not of the cord from the pedestal.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Well, I need to apologize. I over-reacted to the initial "flame". It caught me off guard. I spend more time on marlinowners.com, a gun forum, than I do here and that just doesn't happen there. I've never seen anyone get hammered right off the bat for a typo (complacency I guess). Maybe something along the lines of "I think you meant red to black for 220." Instead of immediately telling you "YOU'RE WRONG".
But hey, I should have known better, from some of the other conversations I've seen here.
I'll probably just avoid any "technical" discussions and just read what others have to allow.
There's some folks out there that lie in wait for someone to screw up so they can immediately correct them, I know, I'm married to one.

Again, please accept my apology.

[moderator edit]

Tags
wiring