Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by sickoldman View Post
This is very confusing. My wife has fallen in love with an 1976 Argosy 20'. Ebay prices, and general public prices place the value around 7,500-9,000. Nada pricing place it at 700.00-900.00!!! This has held true in every single case i have looked up there...My Credit Union and my bank both say they use the NADA book for RV's, and say the 7-900 figure is correct. You guys are saying the Nada book is useful, but i have yet to find a RV that is within 75% if the lowest price nada gives....Campers within the 10,000-12,000 range are consistantly valued bewtween 2,00-3000... not even close. What gives?

Once you get into the vintage trailers, that is another ball game. It depends on the condition and how much work has been done with updates and replacements. You start adding a new frig ($1100.00), new A/C ($700.00), new carpet/vinyl ($500.00 and up), new furnace ($350.00, repairs to roof and flooring...the sky is the limit. When you start adding the new equipment, you can sink $4000.00 in an older RV in a heart beat.

The older trailers are built better than a lot of the stuff offered today. The Argosy is a desirable unit, especially if you have done some up date work. Look at some of the restored Air Streams...$40,000.00 or more.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #16
Thanks- i thought that was a lot for a 1976 anything, but as we agree--" to make the wife happy"..

sickoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #17
Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
An interesting thread for those of us not in the good old US of A. I just purchased a 1999 Coachmen Mirada for $155,000 NZ (about $110,000 US). It is about $20,000 below similar vehicles advertised on our version of ebay, so I am happy, but secondhand RV's are not really selling over here at all. I have been looking for 18 months, and based my offer on the prices that other units (few and far between) were selling for, and what I was getting for my buck. I am happy with the layout, and the V10 engine, but the electrics need a lot of work. We run 240V over here and our regulations require us to rewire our RV's with multicore wiring before running 240V through the system. Considering we must run at half the amperage of a 120V system for the same wattage, I cannot understand why.

Anyway, more to the point, an RV is worth what you want to pay for it. If you intend keeping it for personal use for ten years or more, the extra cost of the purchase is minimal compared to the joy you will get from running around in it. I suspect that no-one buys an RV as an investment, so you are simply dividing the cost by the years you want to run it, and hoping it will be worth something when you have finished with it. My two cents worth (or three cents in NZ$)

Graham Gracie in a 1999 Mirada, V10 Petrol. New Zealand, Suzuki Escudo 2001 2.5L V6. Mini poodle, Pierre and mini schnauzer, Maddie.
GSGracie is offline   Reply With Quote