Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #1

NADA value of motorhome

still looking for used motorhome... have found based on mike's recommendation 2 winnebago sightseer 30b ,workhorse chassis and chevy engine, 2004 with 15,000miles and one slide for $38,000.00, 2nd one 2003 with w.bago 30b with 25,000miles, workhorse chassis, chevy engine, one slide, generator has 1,100 hours for 37,500.00 a 3rd 2004 national seabreeze, supposedly 30 ft. although could only find 32ft in nada with 4,000 miles. for those of you who know how to use rv nada guides, if these are in very good condition...what do you think of these prices... when i looksed a national i used base price plus mileage and got 34,705 low retail and 41,181 for average..i did not put any options in per someone's suggestion here. please help us with offering price on these rvs.. we'd like an idea before viewing as to honest price...and question is about generator hours, what is the most hours on generator that we should be looking for . thanks for all the replys and info we've gotten and would appreciate your input on this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
In today's market I would think that a good buying price would be around 20-30% less than low retail in NADA price guides. As far as the generator hours go, I would be more concerned about one with too little of hours as to one that looks like it has been used regularly. Now a gasoline generator with over 2000 hrs might be something I would want to discount the price even more. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Mike. I friend who was a salesman at an RV place told me that the price should be negotiated to halfway between retail and wholsale value. Now with the economy I would try for a lot lower. Some sales are desparate and you can probably go below wholsale.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I usually recommend that people try to deal at Low Retail. I see lots of reports of people trying to buy nice RVs at distress prices and their offers get turned down. And reports of used rigs priced over NADA average retail. Used RV prices really don't seem to be depressed, despite the economy. Sure there are some dealers who absolutely need to raise money and you might hit one of those, but I don't think you can expect every used Rv to be priced ultra low. An RV salesman friend told me thet used prices are actually running a bit higher than previous at his dealership. The boss used to be willing to sell used rigs at breakeven prices just to get them off the lot, but now he insists that each deal contribute some profit to the bottom line. Has to, because new rigs are not selling well and the used sales are what pays the bills every month.

New is a bit different - there is a greater margin to deal with and greater pressure to turn over inventory (floor plan costs, etc).

There ARE bargains out there, but just like before you are going to have to shop widely and diligently to get them before someone else does. One thing to look for is bank repos, but beware. The dealer will be selling them on consignment for a bank and it is the bank, not the dealer, that has to ok repairs and prep costs. And most repos are sold "as is", which is part of the reason the price is low.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
In today's market I would think that a good buying price would be around 20-30% less than low retail in NADA price guides. As far as the generator hours go, I would be more concerned about one with too little of hours as to one that looks like it has been used regularly. Now a gasoline generator with over 2000 hrs might be something I would want to discount the price even more. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
20-30% less than Low Retail would be an exceptional deal on a used vehicle. And I believe highly unlikely.

20-30% less than Low Retail would be below wholesale. Not may dealers I have negotiated with are willing to go that low.

I have made offers that are 10% below Low Retail and the other party laughed in my face. I have been looking for a while and I would be real lucky to find a DP that is 4-5 years old for Low Retail.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The NADA RV Average and Low Retail values are calculated average depreciations and not actual market values, either nationally or locally. Popular brands such as Country Coach and Monaco DPs often sell well above their Average NADA retail, let alone Low Retail. You must shop around to know the market for the makes and models you are interested in.

That said, do NOT be afraid to make low offers. You can always raise your price if you want.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #7

NADA value of motorhome

I looked at PPL motorhomes at their list of used diesel motorhomes SOLD in the last 12 mos. As a Tiffin owner, Tiffin coaches were the ones in which I compared the NADA wholesale and retail prices. In the model years 2005-2008, all "sold" at about midway between wholesale and retail with some a few thousand above the midway point. There was an exception. A 2005 Allegro Bus sold for nearly $10,000 MORE than RETAIL just last month.

Beverly
Old 07-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like many things, a Motorhome for sale is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of any "expert opinion" type listing. In a lousy economy, the challenge is greater. I've found the best method to be to list my item at more than what I want to get out of it with any offer considered. This leaves room for give and take between buyer and seller. That said, listings such as NADA can provide some guidance as to what ballpark pricing should be.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #9

The NADA prices change every three months and the dealer's books are by location. When looking at sold motorhome prices you have to use the location's NADA book for the time of the sale. I personally know the sales people at a large dealer and they sell used motorhomes that have been on their lot a long time to a wholeseller for 80% of wholesale or trade-in price. The problem is their wholeseller was having trouble unloading those motorhomes so they stopped buying. The dealer was happy to sell their long term used motorhomes to anyone for 80% of wholesell.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know for a fact, since I just went thru it, that dealers in our area are allowing book wholesale as trade-in value. Three different dealers quoted same trade allowance. That would indicate they intend to sell above wholesale book price.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Unlike the car version, the NADA RV Appraisal Guide is NOT issued by region - just one book nationwide. And it is updated 3 times a year rather than quarterly like the car price book.

The dealer version gives the same price for wholesale and trade-in and that value is typically about 75% of the retail price shown in the book.

If you are offered more than that for a trade-in value, its because you are getting a discount on the MSRP. But if you negotiate a discount price before mentioning a trade-in, you will only get wholesale for the trade.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #12

Nada Pricing ????

This is very confusing. My wife has fallen in love with an 1976 Argosy 20'. Ebay prices, and general public prices place the value around 7,500-9,000. Nada pricing place it at 700.00-900.00!!! This has held true in every single case i have looked up there...My Credit Union and my bank both say they use the NADA book for RV's, and say the 7-900 figure is correct. You guys are saying the Nada book is useful, but i have yet to find a RV that is within 75% if the lowest price nada gives....Campers within the 10,000-12,000 range are consistantly valued bewtween 2,00-3000... not even close. What gives?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Unlike cars, NADA RV prices are based on estimated average depreciation, not actual market prices. For old RVs in good condition and certain highly sought aftermodels, the NADA book price will be well off the market value, usually low. With the Argosy, you are almost talking about a collectible, so I'm not surprised the value is off. But no way would I pay $7500 for a 76 Argosy, based on any rationale measure of actual value. But $7500 to make the wife hapy, that's another story...

I do not consider the NADA RV book to be useful for anything over 20 years old. Depreciation is no longer meaningful and condition and the market is everything.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #14

Hell I don't find it useful on anything. Try and sell, not buy a used MH for anything near their average retail price. It is off by at least 20%. The low retail price is not even close even when the coach is in near mint condition. Don't know about diesels but here in Atlanta they are way down too. It would appear that someone would compile a listing of recent sales and post them to establish some sort of value system.