Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

Nail in Tire - Help!

Parked in campground for last week. A few days ago, noticed this (see pics) in tire - tag axle, passenger side. Have no idea how long it has been there. Don't really feel as though it has gone deeper than tread, but not 100% sure. Tire pressure is same as tires around it. The nail wiggles a little.

Call a tire "professional" and have them remove and evaluate? Will they make house calls? We're not stuck on side of road or anything.

Pull it out and monitor tire pressure? If it starts losing pressure, then look for mobile tire repair? Will any tire repair shop work or only a place that deals with truck tires?

Leave in and drive to our next destination, which just happens to be Spartan?

Still relatively new at this and have not had to try to locate services that can handle motorhome issues. We do have roadside assistance plans but we are not roadside nor in an emergency situation so reluctant to call.

2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 DP - tires are only 2 years old with 25,000 miles on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_103012.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	261206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_103018.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	261207  

DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

Spray soppy water on it. If no bubbles, remove nail and spray again. If no bubbles, your good to go.

Don't look like its in to deep.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

Good news is that it is in the tread and can be patched if needed. If it were in the sidewall, no tire place would patch it.

That nail might not be long enough to have punctured the tire. If it were me I'd pull and monitor pressure; I would not drive with it. I'd rather deal with a flat tire while parked in CG than on the side of the road.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Many truck tire dealers have mobile units. I have used them in my own driveway, I'm just that lazy.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #5

If you have road side assistance from one of the services, i. e. Good sam, AAA give them a call. It makes no difference if on the road, campground or home they will send someone out.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMom View Post
Parked in campground for last week. A few days ago, noticed this (see pics) in tire - tag axle, passenger side. Have no idea how long it has been there. Don't really feel as though it has gone deeper than tread, but not 100% sure. Tire pressure is same as tires around it. The nail wiggles a little.

Call a tire "professional" and have them remove and evaluate? Will they make house calls? We're not stuck on side of road or anything.

Pull it out and monitor tire pressure? If it starts losing pressure, then look for mobile tire repair? Will any tire repair shop work or only a place that deals with truck tires?

Still relatively new at this and have not had to try to locate services that can handle motorhome issues. We do have roadside assistance plans but we are not roadside nor in an emergency situation so reluctant to call.

2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 DP - tires are only 2 years old with 25,000 miles on them.
KISS

Where are you? - Generally there is a tire place close - truck tire place would be great - as you can see by the wear on the nail it just found a Home in your Tire - no/little wear.

Do you have a Plug? I always keep a few for an emergency - if so pull nail, check and if still leaking, plug and go to the truck stop. They will pull the tire off the rim, part way and patch it from inside - If you stay with them they can just have you use the levelers to lift the tire - Block it and repair it right on the rim, yes they do not need to take it off the Coach, they will let the air out and pull it off the rim to get inside, unless it's the inside tire???

Will take a little time but sure beats a blow out on the highway.

Let us know how you do.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #7

Agree with all the others about removing the nail if you intend to move the coach. If so, I will add, mark the nail location on the tire before you remove it so you (if you're keeping an eye on air loss) or the repairman can easily find it. You can mark it on the sidewall with yellow grease pencil, directly in line with the nail location, and you can mark in the grooves between the tread lug to isolate the location.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #8

UPDATE:

Sprayed area with soapy water - no bubbles.

Pulled nail out - no bubbles.

Will check tire pressures again tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed we dodged a bullet...... or nail.
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
NXR

I haven't had to use it yet but I bought a tire and wheel protection plan from Wholesale Warranties. It was less than $600 for seven years. That's about the price of one tire for us.

The exclusions aren't too bad and the biggest gotcha is you need their approval before contracting for a repair. I keep the contract in the same folder where I keep my roadside assistance docs.

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MyTireExpert RV Contract 2, 4, 6 yr terms.pdf (153.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
outstanding PHOTOS, Ask yourself have you LOST AIR? if YES can you add some? Are you on or off the roadway? Meaning are you where it can be repaired?
Understand a low tire is bad NEWS and can blowout causing lots of damage to the RV body.

So ask yourself can you add AIR where you are? if so add more now. If NOT get some roadside repair to have it changed. AAA or roadside service to make the repair.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
UPDATE:

Sprayed area with soapy water - no bubbles.

Pulled nail out - no bubbles.

Will check tire pressures again tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed we dodged a bullet...... or nail.
Might be smart to mark the location and take a picture - never know may be an issue later - send the picture to yourself with a strong title so you can find it if the tire ever needs repair. Will be fixable if you start to lose air in the future.

While it did not penetrate it might have weakened it enough to leak later so kee a close eye on it.

Good luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #12

Get a tire patch kit. They use a long cord type material. Pull the nail with pliers and check to see if there is a leak, you will hear it.

If no leak then you are all set. If you hear the leak then you open the hole with a pointy file then push in the cord with a tool. Rotate the tool half a turn and pull out.

I have done this on my garage and on the side of the road.

Hardest part is finding the leak, you have done that.
Quote:

Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #13

The next time you pass by a Flying J Truck Stop, stop by their tire shop & pick up a few "peter patches". (Not sure of their actual name, but that's what we always called the tire patch, & they knew what we meant. I used to drive an 18-wheeler, years ago.)

Some people swear by a tire patch. Others say that all they need is a tire plug. But, since the people here on our forum are usually pulling or driving something larger than a car, I would not want to trust my tires to hold up with a normal type of tire patch.

These "peter patches" actually combine a tire patch with a tire plug. The best of both worlds. I have successfully used this patch to fix a 3/4" hole.

They cost around $7 a piece from the Flying J. (Of course, that was back then. I have no idea as to how much they cost now.) That's the only place that I have found them, except for on the internet.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #14

Here's what one looks like.

Basically, once the tire is separated from the rim & the inside area has been scuffed up & cleaned, you apply the glue, stick the wire end through the hole (from the inside going out), pulling the wire through with a pair of pliers, press the patch against the inner wall, trim off the excess of the plug, & you're good. You have now installed a combination tire patch and tire plug onto your tire.

It's much safer than either one by themselves, plus, you didn't have to purchase a new tire.