Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 04:07 AM   #1

Narrowed Down to Fleetwoood Discovery 37R or Tiffin Allegro 37PA

Hello all -

First time motor coach buyer so spending a lot of time researching and trying to make a good decision. I thought if I posted a brief summary of my situation I might get a suggestion or two from those far more educated on diesel pushers.

I live & work in Tampa year round, but also have a second home out west in the Rockies. Coach will be used for traveling back and forth and throughout the country. We especially love the National Parks out West.

My wife and I are 50. Our kids are grown so this will mainly be used just by the two of us.

Budget: $200,000.00 - cash buyer. Looking to buy slightly used to get the most bang for the buck. After much research I really like the 2016 Fleetwood Discovery 37R and the 2016 Tiffin Allegro 37 PA. Both have very good floor plans for a couple traveling without children and seem to have all the comforts we are looking for. I especially like the walk thru bathroom of the Tiffin. They also both seem to have sufficient power to motor through mountain passes.

I don't think being a cash buyer helps me much at a dealership, since they make money on financing, but may help if I buy from a private party.

Any suggestions for a first time buyer appreciated!
Idaho Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 05:55 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't speak to the Discovery, but the Tiffin has been a great coach. I have a similar floorplan except for the walk thru bathroom you have. It's a very practical and usable floorplan. We went back and forth between the 33AA and the 37PA, and finally decided on the 33 since we prefer state/county/federal wooded campgrounds and maneuverability is key. Our 33 'just' fits up our driveway without scraping. Wouldn't have any problem buying another Tiffin if something ever happened to this one, but for us our existing coach is perfect and no reason to change.

We live in NC and typically run both out west to see one daughter, and up the east coast to see our other daughter. Leave for a 3 month trip in two weeks in a meandering big loop thru Nashville, Branson, Denver, SLC, Tetons and Yellowstone, then head east thru Cody, Rushmore, Badlands, and Indiana before heading back south. Both daughters travelling with us for a bit in different sections. Many intermediate parks and stops planned along the way.

Good luck in whichever you decide.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go with the Tiffin.

Great manufacturer support. And you are located and traveling such that you can readily take advantage the excellent and inexpensive support available in Red Bay, AL. Not just at Tiffin factory there, but also the many third party businesses there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:18 AM   #4

I would go with the Fleetwood Discovery. Good factory support and a great owners group that can help you with any questions particular to the Discovery.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Both are excellent coaches. Go with the floor plan that works better for you. I wish I could afford one myself but, well, you know.......
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

Floor plans are quite different. Go with the floor plan that best matches your lifestyle.
Either one is nice and both manufacturers offer good support.
Tiffin is known for a better build quality and is typically more expensive.
If it matters compare all the features in each such as
CCC
Towing capability
Tank sizes
Electrical components and functionality
Appliance packages
Engine model problem history
Resale ease/popularity
Ease of wet bay use/hookup, electrical
Old 05-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #7

I was in the market last year but for a gas coach. Narrowed it down to a Bounder vs. Allegro Open Road. Both nice coaches but on the Bounder I hate the driver window size given my driving position so that finalized the decision for the Tiffin.
You need to drive both and make sure there is not something that makes one or the other a clear no-go. After that, it will come down to the topics mentioned above.
Tiffin is a smaller company and only builds motorized RVs (and up to this year, only Class A). In general they have one of the best reputations in the industry. Also lots of owner forums with great support for all topics. If you have not, check out www.tiffinrvnetwork.com.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

One thing to look at is service. From what I have read here REV and Tiffiin are a bit different in how they handle service. REV has several factory service centers and is adding at least one more also from what I have read. Tiffin is only factory service in AL from my reading.

I think you will find folks in both mfg. camps and most liking what they have exp. with. Then you will probably also have a few who are upset with one or the other of the manufactures.

As above be sure the coach will meet your needs in carrying capacity, storage, and towing.

Buying used you will probably want an inspection and to know how the unit was cared for. Number of threads here on what to look for and they cover things I'd never have thought of.

Also note you may want a cash reserve for additional items and unexpected repairs. For example you may want to add TPMS if the coach does not have it and even if it does you may want to add to the toad.

Tom
Old 05-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions. It is a relief to read that both manufacturers have a good reputation, and not surprised that people do lean a little to Tiffin as being superior.

Although buying an expensive coach is new to me, I do have a history of buying and owning expensive boats and I think a lot of the advice (some mentioned above) I have learned from mistakes. For example:

1. If you have cash in hand, the key is being patient and waiting for the right deal. My best boat experience was buying a Venture 34 with 7 hours on the engines at a boat show for an absolute steal. Used it for 3 years and sold it for same price.

2. Get at least one inspection. Man, I have learned this one the hard way. Once bought a boat sight-unseen without so much as an inspection and that turned out to be junk. Lost my arse on that one.

3. Test drive and make sure it suits you.

Admittedly, I am a somewhat impulsive person. Buying expensive boats and coaches is not the time to be impulsive. Thanks again!
Idaho Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin

Was looking to buy from a dealership in Panama City. They had just acquired the Tiffin dealership and the salesman told me how they were awarded the dealership. The owner of the Tiffin company visited them. When he got there, he walked past all the salesmen/women, past the owner and went directly to the service department. He had a long discussion with the service manager and went back home. A few weeks later, they awarded the Tiffin dealership to this company. The owner was only concerned about how the customers were treated. They believe in return customers and the only way to get them is to treat them right.
RwBullingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #11

Howdy fellow Idaho[emoji137]. We sold our home 4 years ago in UT, bought our first RV and have lived in and loved this lifestyle. Having a reliable coach going back and forth cross country is huge. We bought our 2nd & current coach 6 months after we took to the road, we traded up from a 36' Winnebago to our current 40'TIFFIN Phaeton. Choosing Tiffin was important because of their customer service, it's insanely good. We stop by the factory in the fall going to Florida and again in the spring heading back west. This time we took some newbies to Red Bay with us to get upgrades on their Monaco. Trevor Nichols did the work, he's a former Tiffin employee who does everything! We only got service on the reg things but had fun seeing our many friends there. Just saying. [emoji41]
sgcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will echo what others have said, both Discovery & Allegro are great rigs. We have had zero issues with our Discovery, never once had to call the factory, so can't speak for their service. If I was looking to buy a new rig, would certainly look at both Discovery & Allegro.

One thing that I will bring up, that people do not think about. We have a Spartan Chassis on our Discovery, which is supposed to be better than the Freightliner, but if I was looking for a new rig, would look for one with a Freightliner Chassis if possible. There is a Freightliner repair facility in just about every city in America, there are only 2 Spartan repair facilities. On a trip from Texas to Cali, we had an issue, pulled into 5 different Freightliner shops for help with no luck, but made me realize just how ubiquitous Freightliner shops were. Aside from that problem, our Spartan Chassis has been nice, so certainly not disparaging Spartan.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Cowboy View Post
Hello all -

First time motor coach buyer so spending a lot of time researching and trying to make a good decision. I thought if I posted a brief summary of my situation I might get a suggestion or two from those far more educated on diesel pushers.

I live & work in Tampa year round, but also have a second home out west in the Rockies. Coach will be used for traveling back and forth and throughout the country. We especially love the National Parks out West.

My wife and I are 50. Our kids are grown so this will mainly be used just by the two of us.

Budget: $200,000.00 - cash buyer. Looking to buy slightly used to get the most bang for the buck. After much research I really like the 2016 Fleetwood Discovery 37R and the 2016 Tiffin Allegro 37 PA. Both have very good floor plans for a couple traveling without children and seem to have all the comforts we are looking for. I especially like the walk thru bathroom of the Tiffin. They also both seem to have sufficient power to motor through mountain passes.

I don't think being a cash buyer helps me much at a dealership, since they make money on financing, but may help if I buy from a private party.

Any suggestions for a first time buyer appreciated!
I would definitely go with the Tiffin......you have a much better chance of resolving any future problems with them than Fleetwood...if you go on yahoo Groups and read the problems with the Fleetwoods you'll get a better understanding......fleetwood...in MHO...has no concept ot QUALITY control
Chuck (former one time only Fleetwood-American Owner)
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, allegro, discovery