Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Just my thoughts on ones first motorhome. Bought my first mh new in 06 and thought it wat the perfect floor plan and engine size and everything else. Mostly the coach DW was happy with. Well in 2010 bought another new one. Point is, Do you know really what you want or need until you hit the road a year or two? and should one consider resale if need be? One learns so much in a couple of years and it can be a very expensive learning curve. Good luck.
I agree, unless you already know if you will be a weekender, ft, or long vacations and long trips, will be traveling in mountains, etc you will not know what you need. One thing for sure, if you buy the larger, higher quality MH you will address most of those questions up front. But you may be paying too much if you don't need it.

Hope you get my point.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #16

I'm curious what these coaches have in common that has put them on your short list. They are VERY different in size, wieght carrying capacity, and build quality. This is reflected in the price difference. What you hope to use the thing for, full time or weekending, will have a lot of bearing on whether the smaller, lighter coach would suffice. Can you determine what attracts you to these coaches, apply that knowledge to a further search, and find something in between?
Good luck, and good hunting!
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFLY2 View Post
I would go for the "nice Fleetwood" for my first MH. The price difference is huge and I think that would make a nice "starter" to see how you like the lifestyle. Do a good inspection and check all records. My 2 cents. (I bought a 01 Newmar Mountain Aire for my first...and I think it will be my last MH a couple of years ago).
Jeesh, you're where we were, three years ago. We chose the Fleetwood and have the larger bus now.

You're certainly better off cutting your teeth on the Fleetwood, but pick the floorplan that makes you happiest.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #18

Your first coach is allot like becoming a homeowner for the first time. Looking back now, I can honestly say that we have learned so much it's hard to compare anything between our first purchase and our second. We went from a super C ( Jayco Seneca), we thought we'd keep forever, to a dp (Fleetwood Discovery). There's so much we learned living with our first coach that we did not even have a concept of prior to the miles and years. Things like: how the floor plan actually works for us, the driving characteristics on a long drive, what problems surface after you've been in it for a year, how it actually tows in different situations and loads, etc.

I think the biggest item for us was a chance to learn what we ACTUALLY liked and wanted vs what we imagined we would.

Maybe you will get it right the first time but don't count on it. I can say now that, as our stages in life change, our MH will probably change as well.

Good luck with your decision. Either way you choose your going to learn a whole lot. My opinion, for what it's worth , go with the one that's fits your financial situation comfortably and plan on moving into, a more "perfect" coach in a couple of years if you find the lifestyle is for you.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
All such good advice. As to why the huge difference, it's because the one we fell in love with is the Monaco. It has gorgeous rich purple trim in the Ralph Lauren designed interior and a lighternpurple stripe on the outside. We are going to be tailgating in it at the TCU games (colors are purple and white!). The big drawback it that it does not have a king bed. We also looked at a Tiffin Phaeton 2012 but new that really has everything, but a price to go with it. It even has a deep blue, almost purple!, stripe on the outside. You'd think the price would go down dramatically because it's a 2012, but it has not. Anyway, the Expedition was purchased yesterday, so it's no longer an option. I liked it because of the neutral colors that I could a essorize with purple. It had a lot of seating too.

If we got one on the $50K range, we would probably pay cash, which is attractive; if we got one more than that, we would finance half. At least the interest charges are deductions. Any thoughts on that? I guess I'd not like to get something just because it was cheaper and then be unhappy with it. Thanks to everyone for the helpful discussion!
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
We bought our last motorhome first eleven years ago and have not been disappointed.

Today, that Executive at DeMartini's would be on our short list.

Newer rigs have no essential features that the Executive would not provide.

Search for Executives for sale on Oodle to get some price and condition comparisons.

The dealer will have trade-in values added to the asking price. If you have no trade vehicle, be aggressive on the initial offer. Your offer can always be increased.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I didn't know their price had a built-in trade-in factor. Good to know! What about financing? Don't they make more money if we finance some of it, so they should lower the price?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What's "Dimartini's"?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
What's "Dimartini's"?

DeMartini R.V. Sales, Recreational vehicles (RVs), Holiday* Rambler** Motorhomes, Monaco Motorhomes, Monaco Coach Corporation, Endeavor, Scepter,** Imperial, Dynasty,* Windsor, Camelot, Navigator, Vacationer, Admiral,** Ambassador, trailers, campers,

Click on "used diesels" button and look for the 2003 Executive for $119,000.

the dealer will make a commission on financing they arrange, but may not get you the most competitive rate on the financing. I doubt they would reduce the price for that factor, but who knows.

When we purchased a 7 year old rig, we offered 65% of the asking price and settled for 72% of the asking price. You are working in different times and with a different dealer. So you need to learn somehow what the market value of the target rig is. NADA RV's online will give you some guidance. EBAY closed transactions may also be helpful.

Also, you are targeting a rig that is now 10 model years old. Financing will be more difficult to find, so the dealer may be helpful in that regard.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom, Dean! I looked at the one at DiMartini (funny because the one we are looking at is at DiMontrond in north Houston!), and it is a 43'. The one down here is 40', plus it has more miles. It is also missing 3 of 4 throw pillows and all of the original bedding, which is too bad because it was Ralph Lauren and gorgeous. It also does not have any maintenance records. If the independent inspection doesn't uncover anything major, what do you think we should be able to get it for? Also what are your thoughts on purchasing a warranty? Thank you SO MUCH!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oops that's DeMontrond.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom, Dean! I looked at the one at DiMartini (funny because the one we are looking at is at DiMontrond in north Houston!), and it is a 43'. The one down here is 40', plus it has more miles. It is also missing 3 of 4 throw pillows and all of the original bedding, which is too bad because it was Ralph Lauren and gorgeous. It also does not have any maintenance records. If the independent inspection doesn't uncover anything major, what do you think we should be able to get it for? Also what are your thoughts on purchasing a warranty? Thank you SO MUCH!
I do not think I can give you an quality estimate on a purchase price since I have done no market research on your target rig and I have only bought one rig in my lifetime so am no expert.

But, for $10,000 less starting price point on the bigger lower mileage rig, you should give the folks a Demartini a call if the 43' fits your needs and desires. They are accustomed to phone calls from afar. $10,000 buys a few airplane trips for inspection and delivery.

The Demartini folks have earned a fairly sterling reputation for performance and low pressure sales with care for their customers. They also are accustomed to dealing long distance with buyers in the past. Do a google search on them to form your own opinion as I have not purchased from them.

I bought a 4 year repairs insurance program for $4,000. Because I had a injection pump failure within the four years I broke even on the deal and had no hassel with the insurance company over repairs. I would have been just as well off to put the money in the bank and paid for the repairs myself.

But if the transmission or engine had failed, the policy would have been worth its weight in gold. Such a policy depends on your personal tolerance for risk.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dean, that's all very helpful. Will take all under advisement and keep looking at DiMartini! That Monaco Executive they have does not have the purple Ralph Lauren trim that I love, but I can at least use it as a bargaining tool! Thank you again!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner
Dean, that's all very helpful. Will take all under advisement and keep looking at DiMartini! That Monaco Executive they have does not have the purple Ralph Lauren trim that I love, but I can at least use it as a bargaining tool! Thank you again!
I just looked at the '03 Executive that you've been looking at. I agree that it's very nice looking coach. We are currently living in that floor plan in an '03 Signature. A few differences but largely the same. If the maintenance has been kept up then it's truly a great coach. I'm not really any help on the value but i just saw a post on another forum that the wholesale pricing on used coaches has gone up substantially since the first of the year. Notice this guys personal coach is an '03 Executive.

Here is the post:

Hi all,

"Important"

Joe Bruno Here. I am known as the RV Buyers Advocate and write Blogs as well as broker coaches for the wholesale market. I had a surprise in the past week when I was checking the value of a 2007 Dynasty that I had on EBay for $145k about a month ago. I pulled up the wholesale numbers and noticed about a 10 percent increase in dollar value. This is a historic as well as a very important event in modern luxury coach market. IMHO, the value to a luxury Motorhome buyer is not the price paid, but what the buyer gets as a return for the investment!

What can this mean to the pre-owned coach buyer who has a trade in is that you can get more for your trade until the dealers figure out that their inventory went up. The new book is out in a couple of weeks.

For the new coach buyer, you better think twice about it. New coach prices keep going up and the value doesn't! It doesn't take much research to figure out that a 2007 Dynasty for $145k or even $245k has more of a return than a New Dynasty! I actually looked at my coach for the first time in years as an investment. Congrats to all of my fellow investors!

Joe Bruno

2003 Executive DS2 (worth $8,000 more than on Jan 1st)
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote