Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Question Narrowing search and need advice

Hi all you experts! We are narrowing our search for our first MH and are looking for opinions. Here's what we are looking at:

1. 2003 Monaco Executive, 40', 500 Cummins, 3 slides, 76K miles, $129k

2. 2002 Fleetwood Expedition, 36', 300 Cummins, 2 slides. 37k miles, $51k

The Monaco is gorgeous; the Fleetwood is nice. Obviously huge difference in price!

Your opinions really matter! Thanks for all!
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #2

Those are not comparable.
2 different thoughts. If you have money get the Monaco. Better quality also.

Size matters. You need to know what you are looking for in a coach. 40' can restrict access to certain camp sites. Of course though a lot more room.

Look at floor plan that works for you.

Maintainace records how each was take care of. Need tires? Any leaks.
Roof in good shape.

Need a lot more thought.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

I would go for the "nice Fleetwood" for my first MH. The price difference is huge and I think that would make a nice "starter" to see how you like the lifestyle. Do a good inspection and check all records. My 2 cents. (I bought a 01 Newmar Mountain Aire for my first...and I think it will be my last MH a couple of years ago).
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #4

I posted this yesterday for someone else:

In my short search for coaches I've found a few things that are almost always true:
1. Go with a floorplan you and the other half can live with.
2. Get the most space, storage and amenities you can afford.
3. Always get the coach checked out by a knowledgable tech prior to purchase so you know what you're getting into.

Just take your time and don't rush your decision. Good luck in your search and have fun doing it, I know the misses and I are having a great time in our searches.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I am thinking that too. Why will yours be your "last"? Don't you like RVing as much as you thought younwould, or you like yours just fine and don't want to upgrade?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have been looking for a while. Any thoughts on the Cummins 300 towing capacity? We will be towing an extended cab pickup.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
I am thinking that too. Why will yours be your "last"? Don't you like RVing as much as you thought younwould, or you like yours just fine and don't want to upgrade?
I know the misses and I are doing the "1 and done" because we are making a fairly large investment and want to get it right the 1st time. We plan on retiring to ours and hopefully have most of it paid for by then. That we don't have to worry about anything except were we are spending the next month.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner
Hi all you experts! We are narrowing our search for our first MH and are looking for opinions. Here's what we are looking at:

1. 2003 Monaco Executive, 40', 500 Cummins, 3 slides, 76K miles, $129k

2. 2002 Fleetwood Expedition, 36', 300 Cummins, 2 slides. 37k miles, $51k

The Monaco is gorgeous; the Fleetwood is nice. Obviously huge difference in price!

Your opinions really matter! Thanks for all!
My wife and I have lived full time in an '03 Monaco Signature which is very close to being a twin to the Executive. We can not imagine a better coach home. If you want to buy a coach for the long haul then the Exec is the ticket. The chassis is a S Series semi monocoque and is still one on the strongest in the motorhome business. We lived in ours for 4 years and then did an interior remodel which we have lived in for 2 years now. With a well built chassis then this becomes a very economical way to up grade.

Based on experience, I can recommend the Executive with no reservations. As with any used vehicle, previous maintenance is critical so research this as much as possible.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
We love RV'ing and were full time for the first year. We were just very fortunate and now that we are in our mid 60's I'm thinking this MH will take us to the end!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We went RV shopping trying to get our last one first so that we would NOT be paying more for several coaches over time.
That being said as you can tell by the signature area after seeing a lot of floor plans we finally went with a Monaco. Granted it is a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40 ft DP. So I am probably a little biased cause I would tell you to go with the one that you like more which sounds like the Monaco.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trying for that perfect fit the first time is tricky. DW and I had found the perfect Dp, made the deal only either on purpose or by mistake some important issues were left off the contract. Short story, disappointment, greaf and us back on market for another coach. We ran across a floorplan we hadn't seen before and now own it. DON'T get in a hurry. We were almost stuck with a rig we surly would have liked but now have one we love.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We have been looking for a while. Any thoughts on the Cummins 300 towing capacity? We will be towing an extended cab pickup.
Assuming both coaches are in equal condition...that's a $78,000 question????? The Cummins 300 is a very good engine and should be able to tow an extended cab pickup. What kind of truck....small or full size 4X4? Remember, one has a much higher GVW than the other that's why the larger engine. Neither will be able to keep up with autos on an incline! Are you comfortable with both floor plans? Is the larger coach worth $78,000 more in amenities to you? Are you going to full time this adventure or use it a couple months out of the year? Only you can answer those questions because it's going to be you writing the check!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #13

Just my thoughts on ones first motorhome. Bought my first mh new in 06 and thought it wat the perfect floor plan and engine size and everything else. Mostly the coach DW was happy with. Well in 2010 bought another new one. Point is, Do you know really what you want or need until you hit the road a year or two? and should one consider resale if need be? One learns so much in a couple of years and it can be a very expensive learning curve. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #14

For $129k I would look more toward a 1-2 yr old Tiffin Allegro RED or Newmar Ventana with less than 15-20k miles. Both very nice. Cummins 340. We love our allegro RED.
Sniperchad is offline   Reply With Quote