Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 04:51 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
National RV

Can anyone give me their opinion on National RV's in the 2002 vintage? I'm assuming they are not in production anymore.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:12 AM   #2

You are correct they are out of business. I am sure some owners will chime in. If you do a thread search on here you will see some posts from some happy owners . We were looking at a few 1999 models a while back. Seemed like decent RV's for their current price point, but we didn't have the cash to make a deal. Good luck

Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We've had our 2003 Tradewinds w 330 Cat on a Spartan Chassis now for three years and are very satisfied. Great quality and have had no problems. Don't let the fact that they are out of business deter you. Most of the manufacturers have changed names, ownership or experienced some sort of turmoil since 2008. However, most all used the same suppliers and parts are pretty much readily available for any unit you need. Check out the National Owners forum on this site to address any concerns you may have. Happy motoring!
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We own a 2005 and completely agree. High quality, great price point. They did have a range of coaches from basic gas to mid-range diesel. They all have a good reputation and are still on the road.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecan1 View Post
We own a 2005 and completely agree. High quality, great price point. They did have a range of coaches from basic gas to mid-range diesel. They all have a good reputation and are still on the road.
I also have a 2005 National. We love it. Far above the Winnie We had. In fairness, the Winnie was a Brave. Their entry level, I think. I would not consider trading my National for anything.
Grey Ghost I is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've had our 2004 gasser for about 6 months and really like it. Not perfect, but NO motor home is perfect.

Ours is on the Workhorse chassis and handles well without any aftermarket mods. The 8.1L engine is strong and easily powers our 35ft coach with towed car. We get 7+MPG but mpg varies with driving speed and style.

We did a LOT of research before buying and the Dolphin kept rising to the top in it's price range.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought a 2000 34 National Seabreeze 1340 in August 2013. We are very satisfied with the build and quality of it. Have spent a lot of time and $$ to upgrade it and make it our own but I do enjoy puttering with it.
At this point I am looking at possibly selling it and buying another National (2004 Dolphin) that a friend of mine owns, but then I have to spend all that time to make THAT one our own. ( I am kind of anal about the things I own ) Since I have mine in such perfect shape and running order, I have reservations about changing but would rather have a National than almost anything else in that price range. As soon as the weather breaks, I am going to have to make a decision.

I would recommend that you go with the National if everything seems right on it and the price is right.I don't think you will regret buying a National.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought a 2001 National Marlin 390 DP (Diesel Pusher) almost 40' about 2 years ago with less than 30K miles on it. It now has over 30K and a lot of updating that I did. Pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zzjea/sets

I got it at a good price and it looks almost as good as a new now that I have made it my own. I enjoy having projects and this older MH gave me a few to keep me busy as I have been retired since the year it was made. You would be hard pressed not to think it was a much newer model.

As others have said, National made a very good MH with good options from entry level to luxury. If you like the floor plan and all the mechanicals are in good shape and the price is right for you, I would not hesitate to buy a National.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
We bought our 2006 National Seabreeze 1350 in 2013 and sold it late last year only because it was too much motorhome for us. The rig was in great shape and we really enjoyed it for the year or so we actively camped in it. No complaints. A few little problems here and there as there will be on any almost ten year old rig but nothing major. If we'd been happy with the size of the A we'd still be driving it right now.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
We bought our 2006 National Seabreeze 1350 in 2013 and sold it late last year only because it was too much motorhome for us. The rig was in great shape and we really enjoyed it for the year or so we actively camped in it. No complaints. A few little problems here and there as there will be on any almost ten year old rig but nothing major. If we'd been happy with the size of the A we'd still be driving it right now.
If you like the amenities of a Class A but you're not comfortable with the size, I highly recommend you look at Safari (Monaco) Treks. Our first class A was a 28ft Trek, and it was great! The only reason we changed is that we are now fulltiming and I wanted a separate bedroom. LOVE those Treks!
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are most of the National's powered by Cats?:-(
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Are most of the National's powered by Cats?:-(
No. Mine is a Cummins ISB 300HP.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

National RV

We have a 1998 Tradewinds by National purchased in late 1997. 17 years old with 133,000 miles and 48 states visited and still doing great. Regular service on the Cat engine and due for the 4th set of tires. Only drawback is the quiet diesel wasn't available. On second Generac propane generator. Nothing else has been replaced except windshield. Love the quality and layout. No plans to trade.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk City View Post
We have a 1998 Tradewinds by National purchased in late 1997. 17 years old with 133,000 miles and 48 states visited and still doing great. Regular service on the Cat engine and due for the 4th set of tires. Only drawback is the quiet diesel wasn't available. On second Generac propane generator. Nothing else has been replaced except windshield. Love the quality and layout. No plans to trade.

Do you find that Cat more expensive to have worked on? I'm told to stay away from the Cats.

Tags
national