Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

National Tropi-Cal

I have been on before and got some help. Will try it again, this time my Tropi-Cal 460 engine
RUNS VERY SMOOTH ON THE FLAT roads but as you start climbing just wee little hills it bogs down and if you give it more gas . THAT makes it worse. And as you arrive at the crest of the hill it backfires. It feels like the linkage on the transmission is not set right. I just spent close to $8,000 dollars on some transmission work, THE FRONT SEAL BLEW out after they rebuilt the first time and then it blew out again after a couple of hundred miles Back into the shop , This is the third time its been in and I'M AFRAID TO DRIVE IT NOW. I DROVE IT FOR 6 YEARS WITH NO TROUBLE AND ALL OF A SUDDEN this happens.

I have replaced the MAP SENSOR, THE SPARKPLUGS, THE OXYGEN SENSOR. FUEL FILTER UNDER THE motorhome on the frame . To day I put a can of Sea foam in, I drove it around for about an hour. It did seem to help a bit. But A STRANGE THING, it didn't blow out any black smoke at all. I used Sea Foam about 4 years ago on Vanguard that I also have and there was a ton of smoke for many miles.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Where to go next.
Patrick
lytton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

I'd bet you've got a plugged catalitic converter. For the engine problem.

When the trans work was done ;
Did the shop install a new torque converter ?
Replace the transmission pump ?
A problem with either of these could result in , repeat front seal failures.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 AM   #3

96 tropi-cal

Hi Skip, no the Tropi-cal dosn't have a catalitic converter. I don't know why, but thats how I got it. It was a California vehicle and it only had 34,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles on it.
No they didn't put a torque converter in. And they didn't replace the pump the first 2 times but when I picked it up this 3rd time he told me they had put a pump in. That should have been done the first time, because it was supposed to be a newly rebuilt and was over $5.000. I think that pump not being replaced was the problem with the seals going. WHEN I would jockey it back and forth to get it into my narrow drive it would blow the seal . But it was in the late fall and I WASN'T SURE WHAT HAD HAPPENED so I JUST LEFT IT sit until next spring and put more fluid in it and took it on a trip to Kamloops which is 300 miles away from where I live near Vancouver. LOTS OF VERY STEEP CLIMBS and it went all the way up there and back down with no problems. But the moment that I start jockeying it back and forward to get it into my drive way. I blew out the seal again. So I think your right ABOUT THE PUMP. Now THIS LAST TIME , the third time THEY PUT A NEW PUMP IN and I have had no trouble with jockeying it into the drive way, and I have done it many times.
I thank you Skip for bringing up that idea , I think you solved what that problem was.
Now I have to find out whats slowing / bogging it down on the hills, Its not the Cat because it doesn't have one.
Any more good idea's ?
Patrick
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #4

Did you test the fuel pump pressure ? Run a flow test?
I'm still stuck on exhaust system restriction, any way you could drop the muffler off and go for a quick drive.
Or just slide under the coach and follow the pipes down and look for an area that looks like it's been hotter that the rest of the system; blistering rust can be a giveaway.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What year and what engine/transmission?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:47 AM   #6

1996 national tropi-cal, 460 engine

Thank you Skip for more information.
I can't seem to find the Shrader Valve to hookup the fuel pressure tester. But I WILL SPEND SOME MORE TIME AT that tomorrow. And you may be right about the muffler system, I found an article on the internet about Squirrels and other animals plugging up the exhaust system, and my pipe is lots big enough for that. I DID FIND AN ACORN on top of the motor and when I WAS JOCKING out of the drive way a couple of days ago , I GLANCED at my rear view mirror and here was a squirrel running back parallel to the motorhome and he went up the telephone post that I always have to avoid. But it seemed like he may have bailed from under the motorhome because why would he be so close to the motorhome and running beside it. Sorry for the long winded story, but it just may just explain everything. There are lots of squirrels around here.
So I will take your advice and disconnect the muffler and take it for a run. THE front muffler is clamped on with clamps I noticed , so it may not be to big a problem. I will have So thanks again and I will let you know the results , it may take a couple of days.
Patrick

Tags
national