Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #1

Nationwide Class A Diesel Service/Repair Shops

After going fulltime over 4 years ago, I thought we had the right idea about repairs and service on our 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus. As we are only in 1 area for 2-3 months at a time, we agreeded to go with a Nationwide company for repairs/service. We choose Freightliner service centers knowing they are from Coast to Coast and North to South, even though the cost is more then others.
After years of routine maintenance and a couple repairs all done through Freightliner, we have found ourselves in a hotel now almost a month...waiting.

Diagnostics were complete in 3 day.
Parts ordered, arrived, and told in the shop bay for replacement Day 11 be ready in 2 days.
Additional work needed notice on Day 14.
Parts ordered, arrived, and ready to pick up approx Day 20.

Called today for a follow up, I was politely told "The mechanic working on your RV has been in Training all week. He will be back on Monday and get started on it then".
At an estimated 40 hrs in labor at $185 per hr ($7400) plus parts, we are in for over $15,500. You would think that Chunck of Change would warrant some small bit of consideration. Guess I'm wrong.

I'm angry our RV was not Completely Diagnosed in the beginning. If the engine compartment was originally Opened and Looked at with Eyes...instead of relying souly on the diagnostic equipment, I am sure a mechanic would have noticed the exuast laying on the fuel lines which then melted shut. Also, why wasn't another Tech put on our Repair?

After this terrible experience with this particular Freightliner we are looking for a change.
What other Diesel RV repair shops are out there for Fulltimers traveling frequently?? Mom n Pop shops are great, but difficult to get back to if any warranty work might arise.

Any thoughts or advise is Greatly Appreciated!!
chicaleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

Cummins Coach Care is nationwide, they do not work on the coach, only the chassis and drivetrain to the best of my knowledge.
This is the best resource for locating a CCC service center: Cummins Service Network | Motor Coach Industries
or, https://salesandservice.cummins.com/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #3

Wow, sorry to hear of your horror story, best of luck getting out of there.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 PM   #4

Was the Freightliner shop you used 1) in the Oasis network and/or 2) was it an "Elite Support Dealer" --??

In our travels as full-timers, if I did use a Freightliner shop, I'd almost always choose an Oasis Dealer. Now Freightliner has Elite Support dealers too and I'd probably would want both if possible. Like you, I often would use a Freightliner shop if possible even though, as you pointed out, they generally are more expensive. But when you're traveling in an unknown area, it's the most logical place to use.

As you know, an Oasis service center caters to motorhome owners. I've been to several Freightliner shops that do not like working on motorhomes and are not shy about letting you know. At least you'll know that Oasis dealers will be motorhome-friendly or at least will not express overt disdain on servicing a motorhome. However, as discussed on this forum in the past, not all Oasis dealers are good or friendly either ...and some have flat-out had pretty bad experiences at Oasis dealers too.

An Elite Support Dealer is not FCCC or motorhome exclusive but is a general upgraded service that some Freightliner shops get certified for in order to give exceptional service to all their customers (not just motorhomes). And ..."All Elite Support Certified locations participate in Express Assessment, a commitment to provide a preliminary diagnosis and communication to the customer within 2 hours of arrival."

Further explanation on Elite Support

Also, that's another reason I started keeping a log about 15 years ago whenever I'd discuss with another RVer in different parts of the country, where they had good and bad experiences at various independent shops no matter if they were large places or mom-and-pop hole-in-the-wall -type places. If you notice, I often post responses to other's questions about service recommendations from the notes I made in the log I kept.

Be sure to voice your dissatisfaction to FCCC. A good place to start is to use their "Service Survey" that you can fill-out online:

FCCC Service Survey

Then maybe follow up with somebody at Gaffney so they know you were treated badly.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:59 AM   #5

I had seen this location was in the Oasis network and an "Elite Support Dealer" but I never researched what it all really meant.. Thank you theroc of for a great lesson in what to look for in a Freightliner service center!!

This particular location has 4 service bays devoted to RVs only. When we arrived we were 2nd in line to get in, not bad I thought. They never once batted an eye at our repairs needed. Maybe somewhat disorganized and possibly understaffed. Spending an extra 2 wks off the road and in a hotel, seems a bit extreeme for a diagnostic oversite. Not to mention the additional costs that go along with no being in our home on wheels.
I am guessing that Gaffney SC is the headquarters?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Gafney, SC, is the FCCC factory service center and HQ. The factory is down the road a few miles further. Really excellent service and rarely longer than a day or two.

As for the Freightliner dealer service network, some are better than others.

Cummins Coach Care is the other national service network but I've only been to one.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaleana View Post
After going fulltime over 4 years ago, I thought we had the right idea about repairs and service on our 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus. As we are only in 1 area for 2-3 months at a time, we agreeded to go with a Nationwide company for repairs/service. We choose Freightliner service centers knowing they are from Coast to Coast and North to South, even though the cost is more then others.
After years of routine maintenance and a couple repairs all done through Freightliner, we have found ourselves in a hotel now almost a month...waiting.

Diagnostics were complete in 3 day.
Parts ordered, arrived, and told in the shop bay for replacement Day 11 be ready in 2 days.
Additional work needed notice on Day 14.
Parts ordered, arrived, and ready to pick up approx Day 20.

Called today for a follow up, I was politely told "The mechanic working on your RV has been in Training all week. He will be back on Monday and get started on it then".
At an estimated 40 hrs in labor at $185 per hr ($7400) plus parts, we are in for over $15,500. You would think that Chunck of Change would warrant some small bit of consideration. Guess I'm wrong.

I'm angry our RV was not Completely Diagnosed in the beginning. If the engine compartment was originally Opened and Looked at with Eyes...instead of relying souly on the diagnostic equipment, I am sure a mechanic would have noticed the exuast laying on the fuel lines which then melted shut. Also, why wasn't another Tech put on our Repair?

After this terrible experience with this particular Freightliner we are looking for a change.
What other Diesel RV repair shops are out there for Fulltimers traveling frequently?? Mom n Pop shops are great, but difficult to get back to if any warranty work might arise.

Any thoughts or advise is Greatly Appreciated!!

WOW! You did not say what the problem was so it is harder to judge, but I would definitely call Freightliner and complain. I would think Fifteen Grand would buy you a new motor if you needed it.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if you are being taken advantage of.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

I've been to two Cummins Coach Care shops and both experiences were efficient and first-class.

One Freightliner shop, not so much.

I've had good luck finding independent shops on rvservicereviews.com
Old 03-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

Can you share with us what they are doing ? Repairing ?
Yes
$15,000. Is a good start on an overall overhaul.

We had a Detrot diesel totaly re uilt for $15,000.
A cat for $25,000.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CC with Cummins ISX 650 is in Coburg OR right now at the Coach Care center there for a new head (it's third in 55,000 miles) and now pistons and liners that were found to be bad when they pulled the head. Original estimate was $22,000 to $28,000 and three weeks. Probably $5,000 more for the liners and pistons and another week in the shop.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #11

HJLowell....
The original diagnostic was the CAPS System went bad. With small shards of metal shavings throughout, it was best to replace the rest of the fuel system because of the possability of metal shards affecting the Lift Pump, Fuel pump, and filters.

On day 11 we were informed the CAPS system/entire fuel system failed due to an Exhaust Clamp breaking, which allowed the Exhaust to set across all the Fuel Lines. Of Coarse over a bit of time - melted the fuel lines, crimping the lines closed, and cutoff the fuel supply.
So now the complete replacement of the fuel lines and new exhaust clamps is $685 in parts & over $3600 in labor (20 hours).

I understand parts give out and this part caused a chain reaction. My biggest compliant is, if the Tech would have just just opened engine compartment and looked undernearth, the exhaust should've been seen as the culperate. Instead, they connected the diagnostic scanner to the computer, which only showed the CAPS bad, and walked away doing no further investgation.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaleana View Post
HJLowell....
The original diagnostic was the CAPS System went bad. With small shards of metal shavings throughout, it was best to replace the rest of the fuel system because of the possability of metal shards affecting the Lift Pump, Fuel pump, and filters.

On day 11 we were informed the CAPS system/entire fuel system failed due to an Exhaust Clamp breaking, which allowed the Exhaust to set across all the Fuel Lines. Of Coarse over a bit of time - melted the fuel lines, crimping the lines closed, and cutoff the fuel supply.
So now the complete replacement of the fuel lines and new exhaust clamps is $685 in parts & over $3600 in labor (20 hours).

I understand parts give out and this part caused a chain reaction. My biggest compliant is, if the Tech would have just just opened engine compartment and looked undernearth, the exhaust should've been seen as the culperate. Instead, they connected the diagnostic scanner to the computer, which only showed the CAPS bad, and walked away doing no further investgation.
Thank you
Bummer
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, class a, diesel, repair, service