Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Insurance companies have no Loyalty and neither should you. We shop every policy at renewal it is just what you have to do. All of them change their posturing on what they want to write each year.
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #16

I am shocked so many feel that this little insurance company trying to eek out a living with only 185 BILLION in assets and a net earning in 2015 of 581 MILLION, should be able to raise their rates.
They raised mine $400 and likewise I took a hike
Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have Allied Ins (Nationwide?) and had a claim for body damage due to a truck in front of me throwing 5 highway cones it ran over at 55mph in a single lane construction zone. They came out and did the inspection at my site and a check was cut a few weeks later. $4,000 minus my $800 deductible. Four months later at renewal time my premium went up almost $900. I paid it as I know it is almost impossible to get new insurance in the same year as a paid claim. Next year I will shop it. I can't complain about how quickly they helped me. The increase was hard to swallow but I can see them trying to get their money back over time. I had vanishing deductible too, so the $800 was $1000 the year before. The biggest reason for good insurance is for the really big claim--the one you don't have the cash to pay for.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Nationwide is no longer on your side!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Have Allied Ins (Nationwide?) and had a claim for body damage due to a truck in front of me throwing 5 highway cones it ran over at 55mph in a single lane construction zone. They came out and did the inspection at my site and a check was cut a few weeks later. $4,000 minus my $800 deductible. Four months later at renewal time my premium went up almost $900. I paid it as I know it is almost impossible to get new insurance in the same year as a paid claim. Next year I will shop it. I can't complain about how quickly they helped me. The increase was hard to swallow but I can see them trying to get their money back over time. I had vanishing deductible too, so the $800 was $1000 the year before. The biggest reason for good insurance is for the really big claim--the one you don't have the cash to pay for.

I was told be a ins. guy vanish deductibles are figured in the price. Allied is their RV division.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-14-2017, 03:24 AM   #19

Say it ain't so, insurance companies are crooks? Next thing will be Wells Fargo bank will be ripping people off, or ATT, Verizon, B of A, Sears, Time Warner, Volkswagan, the NFL.

Companies definitely aren't what they used to be. But we must go way back for ethics because Sears was caught ripping people off in the 80's in their auto service sections. If that's progress, we went the wrong way. Has human greed has always been there on such a big scale?
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Say it ain't so, insurance companies are crooks? Next thing will be Wells Fargo bank will be ripping people off, or ATT, Verizon, B of A, Sears, Time Warner, Volkswagan, the NFL.

Companies definitely aren't what they used to be. But we must go way back for ethics because Sears was caught ripping people off in the 80's in their auto service sections. If that's progress, we went the wrong way. Has human greed has always been there on such a big scale?
They write it off as "being responsible to their stockholders".

State Farm went up by 50% on mine this year, with no claims. Unfortunately, they are now parallel with all my other quotes. $1938 for something that is parked at home 11 months out of the year.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think when we are discussing insurance we tend to leave out a lot of information. Full timers pay more than summertime occasional campers. Deductibles can be wildly different. Value of the vehicle, which Progressive goes by, can be different.

I am currently with Progressive and they just started offering a rate decrease if you park the RV by Nov 1 (I believe) and do not drive it before Apr 1. Coverage for trees falling on it, vandalism and so on are still there. I don't have the policy in front of me but for a 2008 thirty foot Winnebago I pay under $500. Not sure of my deductibles. I believe my glass is covered with a zero deductible.

My whole point is that it is impossible to discuss or compare policies and companies without complete info.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #22

Not on my side

Just received my renewal from ALLIED/NATIONWIDE....... Last year went up about $150 to $864, not so bad, stayed with them. This year, up to $1356! +$492! With never a claim or any other changes. Moving on..... Just shows that they don't want to insure a 40' coach as mentioned earlier.
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I understand that rates go up but did you contact them to see why the dramatic increase?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I understand that rates go up but did you contact them to see why the dramatic increase?
I'd be interested too. I have had NW for two years and have not seen that sort of increase. This past year I did have a $2400 claim, so will be interesting to see if the premium is affected on the next renewal.

I found them to be extremely competative when I bought RV and car insurance. I already had NW for Homeowners, and it was really amazing at the discounts I racked up with both cars and RV.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
X2 on Farm Bureau. We used to be loyal USAA customers until they tried to triple our homeowners insurance--not one claim, either. Even sent us a nice waiver form to sign agreeing they could exceed the maximum allowed by our State Insurance Commission. When we told them we would not renew, they warned us we could not get back on with them if we did, as they were not writing new coastal homeowners insurance. Called Farm Bureau and got a policy for about what our prior one had been. They now have the cars and the RV, too! Annual RV premium on our 34' RV is around $900/yr.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Insurance is confusing at best. I can't exactly quote what we are paying but I do know that we've had no significant increases such as this. One thing I do know is that the company I have bases the premium on the value you place on it. Obviously if you have a $15K motorhome they won't insure it for $100K. Ours is insured for what we paid for it and then there are personal choices such as deductable, glass coverage and so on.

Comparing amounts paid is most often fruitless because we all have different coverages and ...... we all live in different places. I'm willing to bet that rates for my bus in the NYC area are far higher than what I pay in rural VT.

The company we are with started backing off coverage from Nov to Apr. I'm sure we could change those dates but for most in this area, camping is done so we end up with a break in our premium. I'm content with what we pay and the coverage we have.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #27

You having a claim may or may not increase your premium at renewal. You NOT having a claim will NOT prevent you from getting a rate increase at renewal. If the insurance company loses money on RV's in general they will raise rates on RV's. Running people off by raising rates is bad business if that's what they are doing. They should simply send non renew letters stating they are exiting the line of business in your state if not totally and thank you for your business.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Regards to Nationwide I too dropped them because of their rate increase back in Jan. My agent told me that they have been too cheap for some yrs and are playing catch up.