Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY the Rand McNally GPS for RVs. I had one for ONE TRIP and quickly learned it is a useless POS. It routed me down a one-lane dirt road, then took me to a non-existent interstate on ramp at the end of a dead-end street! My Garmins never did that! I returned it and got my money back.

Get the Garmin 760 for RVs.

Exact opposite expereince. The 760 told us to go down the wrong way on different one way roads, not once, not twice, not three time, but four times in it's 2 week trial. It rerouted me down a narrow winding dead end road where I exceeded he weight limitations. Top that off with the Garmin saying to go right on a on-ramp to a freeway that went in the opposite direction of travel and when I didn't it kept wanting me to exit the freeway, get on going the opposite way only to exit at the next off ramp and go the way I was traveling. The lane guidance was a joke. On more 4 separate occasions it's split screens disagreed with each other. One said get in the right two lanes while the other screen showed the route was on the right. It also had no clue that off-ramps on freeways could be on the left.

Luckily I had a Rand McNally FedEX out to us and ran those two units side by side on the way home. Almost two years now and the Rand has never taken me down the wrong side of the one way road, not known which lane to be in on the freeway interchange, or taken me down a road that was illegal for me to go down.

Garmin makes great airplane GPS's, pretty good boat GPS's but their vehicle ones leave a lot to be desired. JMO, YMMV.

StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #16

Whatever blows your hair back.

My Garmin 760 has never - EVER - done anything like that.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the Rand Mcnally, and have been quite happy with it. I have it at the drivers side. I haven't found it that great for route planning. For that I use MS Streets and trips. DW runs that on a laptop while we're driving.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Exact opposite expereince. The 760 told us to go down the wrong way on different one way roads, not once, not twice, not three time, but four times in it's 2 week trial. It rerouted me down a narrow winding dead end road where I exceeded he weight limitations. Top that off with the Garmin saying to go right on a on-ramp to a freeway that went in the opposite direction of travel and when I didn't it kept wanting me to exit the freeway, get on going the opposite way only to exit at the next off ramp and go the way I was traveling. The lane guidance was a joke. On more 4 separate occasions it's split screens disagreed with each other. One said get in the right two lanes while the other screen showed the route was on the right. It also had no clue that off-ramps on freeways could be on the left.

Luckily I had a Rand McNally FedEX out to us and ran those two units side by side on the way home. Almost two years now and the Rand has never taken me down the wrong side of the one way road, not known which lane to be in on the freeway interchange, or taken me down a road that was illegal for me to go down.

Garmin makes great airplane GPS's, pretty good boat GPS's but their vehicle ones leave a lot to be desired. JMO, YMMV.

I could not agree more with SteveNSteph's post! I have a Garmin in dash GPS that came with my coach. Pretty useless I use it to regulate MPH and time of route completion only!! It would take me downtown through every Podunk area in the USA! DW operates the Rand, it points out rest areas, RV accessible fuel stops and only once has it let us down in three years. NMHO, just the facts!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #19

As long as you get one that can be programmed for vehicle size and weight and the kinds of roads you want or do not want it can be used. **One then needs to program it**. Do not assume it knows what your requirements are just because it says motor home or truck on the box...computers need instructions.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
As long as you get one that can be programmed for vehicle size and weight and the kinds of roads you want or do not want it can be used. **One then needs to program it**. Do not assume it knows what your requirements are just because it says motor home or truck on the box...computers need instructions.

Both the Garmin and Rand were programmed for our vehicle size, weight and types of roads we wanted to travel on.

I think the big difference is that Garmin does not produce it's own maps instead they buy them from Navteq (which is owned by Nokia). The other big three all own their own digital mapping companies, for example TeleAtlas (TomTom) are the maps that Google uses. All of the mapping companies are in competition to have accurate maps and update them to the user as quickly as possible.

Garmin OTOH is at the mercy of Navteq and they have to wait until there is a release of new data, then they need to convert that data and then release it to the end user. This takes time, case in point three freeway interchanges that were completed over 2 years ago didn't show up a fully updated Garmin car GPS but were on google maps (TomTom) and my Rand. So there seems to be some serious lag time with Garmin.

BTW, complaints to Garmin about their mapping errors are handled by saying they rely on a third party processor for maps (pass the buck) and they will inform them. Like I said before, they make great airplane GPS's, had a Garmin full glass panel installed in my King Air, their boat ones are good but their vehicle ones do not hold a candle to them competition.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Well quite the discussion I started here. Glad I bought the Garmin on Amazon. Just bought the Rand McNally GS version as well. Will test them both out and return the one that doesn't work out. Will report back with my own observations.

Normally I just use my phone and Google maps as it has never let me down.We have factory in dash navigation in all our vehicles and they just plain suck.
Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgator View Post
Agree on a standalone GaryKD and as big a screen as possible. I looked at the GS unit as well as some at CW. The GS unit on Amazon have a good bit of unhappy buyers.

I was hoping to use a 7 inch Android Tablet and just buy some software, what I find is no better than Google maps.
I use MapFactor Navigator on a Google Nexus 7 and quite like it. Free software and maps. It supports off-line maps so you don't need a live data connection (unlike Google maps). Find it in Google Play.