Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Navistar/Workhorse/Monaco/Roadmaster/Custom Chassis Products, LLC

Will the bankruptcy of Custom Chassis Products, LLC, a Joint Venture between Navistar and Monaco, formed to produce Monaco Roadmaster Chassis and certain Workhorse Chassis under contract, affect current or future Workhorse Chassis Owners as it has current Monaco Roadmaster Chassis Owners?

Will the Owners of Workhorse Chassis manufactured as part of this joint venture also lose their rights as far as any future recalls and current warranty work?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup!

Mike

Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Will the bankruptcy of Custom Chassis Products, LLC, a Joint Venture between Navistar and Monaco, formed to produce Monaco Roadmaster Chassis and certain Workhorse Chassis under contract, affect current or future Workhorse Chassis Owners as it has current Monaco Roadmaster Chassis Owners?
Is this something new? Navistar just recently purchased the assets of Monaco - are you saying that they have now filed bankruptcy again, or are you referring to the original bankruptcy by Monaco?
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I do not believe that the new Monaco LLC, the surviving entity that was formed from the assets acquired by Navistar after the bankruptcy of Monaco, has gone out of business yet.

I am referring to the original bankruptcy of both Monaco and the Chassis Products, LLC, the Joint Venture between Navistar and Monaco, formed to produce Monaco Roadmaster Chassis and certain Workhorse Chassis under contract. They were two separate companies and each filed bankruptcy.

The Monaco Roadmaster Chassis customers lost support for any previous or potential recalls and any warranty repairs for the Roadmaster Chassis produced prior to the bankruptcies. I was wondering if this was also true for the Workhorse Chassis that were produced by that same Joint Venture when it went bankrupt?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think any Workhorse chassis owners will be affected. Custom Chassis Products LLC was a separate company, a joint venture between Navistar's International Division and Monaco. Workhorse is another wholly owned subsidiary of Navistar/International and is not in bankruptcy.

I've heard that Custom Chassis Products built one of the Workhorse diesel chassis products, but that was likely done under contract to Workhorse. Warranty responsibility for Workhorse brand products still rests with Workhorse, not Custom Chassis Products.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
I've heard that Custom Chassis Products built one of the Workhorse diesel chassis products, but that was likely done under contract to Workhorse. Warranty responsibility for Workhorse brand products still rests with Workhorse, not Custom Chassis Products.
Gary, That's very good!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #7

I've been away from this website for a long time, but picked up on the conversations talked about here at another site, so I'm here again.

This last week I went to the Custom Chassis Auction in Elkhart, Custom Chassis is gone and so is all of the product to make them. It wasn't an auction for the average rv'er, becuase it was mostly heavy duty stuff. The advertisment for the auction made it look like there would be a lot of engines and transmissions, but there were only 3 CAT engines and couple Cummins engines. Maybe a dozen Allison tranys in different sizes. Lots of front end assemblies and rear axle assemblies, and a lot of chassis components. The area I spent the most time in was the tools. Boy, they sure had a lot them, but you couldn't buy just one, you had to buy a Lot. This auction was really set-up for corporate buyers who knew what they needed and what the cost were.

As far as Roadmaster Chassis is concerned, it is an intrical part of Monaco RV and the foundation of their products. It will be intersting to see just how far Navistar extends it's grip on Monaco and how much they bring in the developement of new products. It should be real interesting, because the standards Navistar employes are much higher then then any the RV Industry is know for--- and to that, we should much better products!

Rich
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There was a posting just a couple of days ago from one of our forum members that Monaco in Oregon was back in business building new motorhomes. The member was at the factory while he posted the information on this forum. If memory serves, I think he said they were putting out about five or six new coaches per week.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Rich, thanks for attending the auction...that's helps on insight...maybe someone at the Oregon factory will chime in and let us know exactly what type of front and rear ends are going under RV LLC coaches....we know the 4RR is totally defunked...wonder if Navistar will finally go to a tag with IFS....one reason why I speculate Bob Tiffy is still doing well....
Anyone know if Monaco is offering a buy "factory direct motorhome sales" from RV LLC.....especially since their national dealerships group is far and few?
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyone know if Monaco is offering a buy "factory direct motorhome sales" from RV LLC.....especially since their national dealerships group is far and few?
Far & few? Monaco LLC had over 100 dealers signed up back in early August and I suspect it has grown since. They have never mentioned even considering factory direct sales.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
over 100 dealers
Anyone know if the "dealer finder" tab on the Monaco and/or HR website reflects the "new" Monaco?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
Anyone know if the "dealer finder" tab on the Monaco and/or HR website reflects the "new" Monaco?
I have to assume that it does, since if I do a search out here on the West Coast, it does not show up with DeMartini on the returned dealers.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It does seem to be updated, it also appears that if you list the multiple locations of a single dealer as 1 dealer, there are not that many total dealers in the whole US at this time, less than 20!

Total industry production of Class A in 2004 was over 46,000 units, do not know what share was Moanco. At current rate of 6 to 8 Coaches a week that's 350 a year, once you fill any level of inventory, your down to fewer than the 350. Do you think they can make a living at 300/year!