Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #15

I live in NC and I am looking to purchase a diesel pusher how much tax are you talking on a 70K motorhome a year?
Saw you mentioned it was just on the chassis but if they value your chassis at 40K and they hit you for 7% a year, that's $2800 a year, is that correct?

Thought they stopped a certain amount?

If I have to pay $2800 a year just to own a motorhome in NC that sums up that I won't be getting one.

thanks in advance
hammmitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #16

Greetings from your neighbors in Georgia.

Georgia made a change two years ago in how vehicles (Motorhomes included) are taxed. You do not pay sales tax when you purchase the vehicle but pay a Transfer Ad Volurum Tax of 7.5%.

Given that sale taxes were 7% not a bad deal. Once you pay the tavt you never pay taxes on the motorhome again. Tag cost me about $25.00 per year.

Georgia has a 6% income tax but exempts $65,000 of unearned (Social Security, Pensions, interest, dividends) income per year, per individual, at age 65.

Come on down!!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
Greetings from your neighbors in Georgia.

Georgia made a change two years ago in how vehicles (Motorhomes included) are taxed. You do not pay sales tax when you purchase the vehicle but pay a Transfer Ad Volurum Tax of 7.5%.

Given that sale taxes were 7% not a bad deal. Once you pay the tavt you never pay taxes on the motorhome again. Tag cost me about $25.00 per year.

Georgia has a 6% income tax but exempts $65,000 of unearned (Social Security, Pensions, interest, dividends) income per year, per individual, at age 65.

Come on down!!!!
That's true but only if you bought in 2012 or later in GA. I'm paying about $800 per year on my 2011 Winnie. The state income tax on retired pay, dividends, interest is also slated to be fully eliminated by 2016. I was planning on moving to FL, but after many calculations GA is now more tax friendly than FL or NC. I still own property in Iredell County, NC but have it up for sale.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have leaved here in NC (no change just keep paying) for 10 years this state will taxes you to death.I live in richmond county was in moore Get the name ( more)county cant seem to get away from this tax thing they say move here if you retire then you find out about all the taxes they dont want you to know about This state has really nothing to offer but taxes you any way the can No wonder people here cant afford anything Its all about the big corperations And the wages here are low That is why most people here are on some goverment program to just get by
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a follow up. If moving to FL and you've owned your RV for over six months you do NOT pay sales tax on the vehicle again. There is a fee but not 6.5 or even close. We lived in FL before moving to NC so there were records of DMV tags that reduced the tax on our MH to nothing! We pay no income tax, period, sales tax 6.5 for our county Brevard, very low homeowners and after six months you claim homeowners deduction of an additional $25,000.00. So our new home were building in Willow Lakes Golf and RV Community for a pad and lot is $825.00, once our home is built the total tax is less than $2000.00 yearly. The coach, 44 ft, and toad total $150.00, yearly. Were fifteen minutes either north or south to the beach and 35 minutes away from OIA. However, we don't fly but our family and friends do fly in so easy pic up and return. For the record our PPT on our new coach in NC the first year was $2800,00+ car! boat! utility trailer! truck and boat trailer! coupled with city tax and county tax. Wonder why we left??
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammmitc View Post
I live in NC and I am looking to purchase a diesel pusher how much tax are you talking on a 70K motorhome a year?
Saw you mentioned it was just on the chassis but if they value your chassis at 40K and they hit you for 7% a year, that's $2800 a year, is that correct?

Thought they stopped a certain amount?

If I have to pay $2800 a year just to own a motorhome in NC that sums up that I won't be getting one.

thanks in advance
Here is what will happen in NC. I do think there are some differences county to county so I can only speak to Wake county and Morrisville as the city for the MH. Craven county and New Bern for my boat.

Th MH is taxed at 3% with a $1,500 max cap. So if you pay $50k or higher you will pay a onetime $1,500. Buy the same in a boat, document it with the USCG and you will pay nothing, no limit as to the cost of the boat, 0% sales tax.

Now for phase two. To get a license plate for the MH you will be billed according to the county and city you live in every year to get the sticker for the plate. So a $78k purchase on a MH will generate a Personal Property Tax of $894 in Wake county and the city of Morrisville. It will fall a small amount yearly but no where near the reduction in price of the MH.

The boat is a little different. No tax on purchase but if you have the boat in a county on Jan 1st of the year you are responsible for the tax liability for that year, even if you sale the boat on the 5th of Jan. The rate is about the same as the MH. As an example my boat had a value according to the tax office of $170k. So the tax bill is about $780 for Craven county and the same amount for the city of New Bern. So just shy of $1,600 a year. Now the work around is if you have the time you take the boat on a cruise to GA and get a fuel receipt on the 31st of Dec and another on the 2nd of Jan to prove the boat was not in NC. You also do not pay a slip fee for December and January. All as proof that you were not here and the bill goes away. One more thing folks learn the hard way is if you are from some other state and your boat is here in NC on the 1st of the year and you pay a slip fee here in NC for December or January you will receive that same tax bill and will have to pay it. There is no way out. They will put a lien on the boat. Nice huh?

So some move their boat to a friends house or anchor out for three or four weeks to avoid the tax. Or they move the boat to another county that has a lesser rate. I have suggested that the county and city collect a surtax on the slip fees. In that manner everyboat would pay something every month. The boat owner would not feel the small cost each month and be happy and the county and city would be better off. But they aren't smart enough to figure it out.

Hope that helps.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Just a follow up. If moving to FL and you've owned your RV for over six months you do NOT pay sales tax on the vehicle again. There is a fee but not 6.5 or even close. We lived in FL before moving to NC so there were records of DMV tags that reduced the tax on our MH to nothing! We pay no income tax, period, sales tax 6.5 for our county Brevard, very low homeowners and after six months you claim homeowners deduction of an additional $25,000.00. So our new home were building in Willow Lakes Golf and RV Community for a pad and lot is $825.00, once our home is built the total tax is less than $2000.00 yearly. The coach, 44 ft, and toad total $150.00, yearly. Were fifteen minutes either north or south to the beach and 35 minutes away from OIA. However, we don't fly but our family and friends do fly in so easy pic up and return. For the record our PPT on our new coach in NC the first year was $2800,00+ car! boat! utility trailer! truck and boat trailer! coupled with city tax and county tax. Wonder why we left??
Exactly. I think most folks don't mind paying something. Yes I know some do but thats just them. The problem is the services I'm paying for such as police and fire are the same costs for a $50k boat as a $5.5mil boat. Chances are the $50k boat will cause a fire long before the $5mil boat will.

So make the rates reasonable and we all pay, but that again is all to simple.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
When we moved from NH to NC in '08 we owned a 47ft sloop. After investigating tax liabilities in NC we left the boat in MA where believe it or not the annual personal property taxes where far less than in NC. Going back to sail the NE coast in the summers was a great escape the Carolina heat.

In 2014 we purchase a 40ft. Newmar Diesel pusher. NC does not have a sales tax on vehicle purchases. Instead NC charges a Highway Use Tax of 3% of the net price paid for the vehicle. For commercial trucks the a maximum tax is $1000 and for RVs the maximum amount is increased to $1500, (I guess NC figures an RV owner should have more for taxes even thought we will use the highways far less than commercial trucks. This Highway Use Tax is collected at vehicle registration by the NCDVM and not repeated.

A separate Personal Property Tax is levied by your resident county based on a tax rate and property valve set by the county. This county and in some cases a town tax on Personal Property is collected annually. The RV valuations by most counties was based on the value of the chassis and not the entire RV. The county collected the tax separate from your annual tag renewal. Since the take over of the NC legislator by the so called, "LESS TAXES" party we now have to pay our county vehicle personal property taxes at the time we renew our tags. As a result some counties are reevaluating the value of RVs and thus increasing the personal property tax.
wingrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider07 View Post
A separate Personal Property Tax is levied by your resident county based on a tax rate and property valve set by the county. This county and in some cases a town tax on Personal Property is collected annually. The RV valuations by most counties was based on the value of the chassis and not the entire RV. The county collected the tax separate from your annual tag renewal. Since the take over of the NC legislator by the so called, "LESS TAXES" party we now have to pay our county vehicle personal property taxes at the time we renew our tags. As a result some counties are reevaluating the value of RVs and thus increasing the personal property tax.
Mine was levied on the purchase amount. It was sighted on the tax bill as such. So the chassis value ship has sailed.

You misunderstand the "Less Tax" folks. It is less taxes for them and the rest of us pay more. The problem is that no one I know makes enough to be one of them.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #24

Carolina Campers
NC Motorhome Property Taxes

I am looking into selling my house and moving out of NC. What was a bad tax state will only get significantly worse with the current environment.... I guess people will have to see the results of what they have asked for before they will realize what they have given up in what they had.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #25

Vinny, Sandy

As Clayobx mentioned, Florida requires six months of ownership in a different state before the title registration is tax free. You indicated that you thought it was 90 days. I think you can still do it, but they pro-rate the sales tax on the selling price and charge Florida's six percent for the time in Florida.

Once that is done, there is no personal property tax on vehicles.

Just a note, though, the DMV will want to see the coach and have an agent check the VIN, etc. You can pay a deputy or police officer to do it, but it may still have to be a Florida cop.

There is method to the madness, but definitely madness to the method as well.

Anyway, good luck,

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #26

To all who have moved to NC and are not happy contact me and I will happy to help you move for a one time fee. Our taxes would not be so high if not for the flood of people moving here and over paying for property thinking it is such a deal compared to where they came from. NC Native
55stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #27

Carolina Campers
NC Motorhome Property Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55stude View Post
To all who have moved to NC and are not happy contact me and I will happy to help you move for a one time fee. Our taxes would not be so high if not for the flood of people moving here and over paying for property thinking it is such a deal compared to where they came from. NC Native

I could simply move ~5 miles from Winston Salem city, Forsyth County, to Walburg, Davidson County, and save over $1,000 a year (more like $2,000, in property and RV taxes) in taxes.... Moving to Wilksboro or Ash County and I could save even more. NC is not a retirement friendly state in regard to taxes. If your a mega corporation, or very wealthy individual, you can move here and pay nothing in taxes. That is because the state taxes everyone else to the extreme.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55stude View Post
I guess I'm not sure of how you figure this.

The tax rate is the tax rate. So over paying doesn't effect the rate of tax it just effects how much you pay in total dollars. As in buying an item at $70k or the same item for $140k. The rate is x% so the taxes are then calculated at that percent.

Now if you are saying that someone from Norfolk came down, bought a farm in your area and they overpaid which in turn drove up the value of your property then thats a different story.

Over in New Bern that story went on for 10 years. I watched a home that was built on a water front lot by the owner from the "whats on sale at Lowes" bin. He went as far as toe buy s set of windows that Lowes had discounted 50% for what ever reason and then framed the house to match the windows. He bought everything in the house that way. It took him a year to build the house that a builder would have had done in 90 days. Not because he didn't have the time but because he was waiting for sheetrock to go on sale. Anyway when he was done he had a $20k lot and less than $80 in the house. Lived there for a couple of years and sold it to a guy from Kinston for about $250. This guy lived there for about a year, had to move back to Kinston for his business and he sold it to a guy from CT for $340. The crash came seven or eight years ago and it is now a rental on the river. He can't get out of it for anything over $200k. So he is stuck.

But that same thing happens in FL housing as well. So why do they not have the taxes we do? In FL everyone pays for a boat license, USCG documented or not but not property tax. Until two years ago we didn't do that here in NC. Documented boats didn't have to have a state sticker. Now we have both, property tax and the state sticker. No sales tax on a boat here. FL charges a sales tax on a boat. So we elect to not pay sales tax so that we can pay property taxes. Sales tax no matter what the rate, is a one time expense, property tax is a gift that just keeps on giving.

Yet we have school systems here that are miserable failures. The state ranks 23rd in the nation on one survey and has a grade of C in education in another. NC ranks as a low spending with poor systems in yet another survey. On the bright side the medical care is is second to none, or at least here in the RDU Triangle. Between DUKE and UNC hospitals and med schools you have two of the premier medical schools in the country. Our Vet school at NC State is excellent as well.

Tags
motorhome