Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
NC Motorhome Property Taxes

Please.... only NC members who have their motorhomes registered in NC respond to this post.

Did your motorhome property tax bill increase significantly this year due to NC now contracting out to a private company the work of determining the value of your motorhome? My property tax bill for my 2011 Class A gas Newmar was valued at $12K for tax years 2012 & 2013 and this year it is valued at $40K, increasing the tax significantly. Big ouch.

The notice says to call the county tax office if you have questions on the valuation. My county tax office states when the state decided to combine the property tax notice with the registration, the state contracted with a private company to determine the value of all vehicles registered in NC and it is no longer done by the county where you reside.

I assumed in previous tax years they only assessed the value of the Ford chassis, not the entire motorhome since they knew the motorhome value when I registered it, so I did not question the $12K valuation. Now I'm told the increase represents the value of the entire motorhome. That makes no sense either as the motorhome is worth more than $40K, but I didn't want to argue the point further and wind up with an even larger tax bill. I was told I could appeal the value by having the motorhome appraised by my own expense. Nicely played by NC. That should cut down on any appeals.

So...did your property tax bill on your motorhome significantly increase? Did you call your county tax office and if so, what were you told? Have you figured out any rhyme or reason to the valuation?
Maggie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I think it's county by county

I'm in Iredell county and our units have always been the entire mh. My parents are in Forsyth and I think there's was just the chassis based on the low valuation and taxes. I'm sure they're trying to standardize it as the new taxes and tags went into effect.

You could always find a county that still does it by chassis and register it there.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Maggie,
We live in Wake County and they have been using contractors for decades. We have not received our tax bill for this year yet. But I doubt it will go up because our tax is based on our purchase price and depreciated each year. If you've been getting away with a $12K valuation, I don't think you should complain. Be glad your coach is only taxed on $40K as it is worth much more.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

Have you considered buying a yacht, your governor is giving special deals on them.
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
I have not received this years tax bill yet, but it seems to me that all my NC taxes have gone way up significantly... I would not be surprised that the tax on the RV will go as well. The changes in deductions that were just implemented this year resulted in my personal income taxes for NC going up, the gas tax has gone up, and just about everything else. I guess when the current governor ran on the platform that he was for lower taxes, that he only meant the taxes charged on large corporations, not for all the personal taxes that we pay... Just saying....

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 AM   #6

We moved last year from Rockingham County to Randolph County. The tax bill on our MH lowered quite a bit. Not sure why and don't think there is any rhyme or reason to explain it.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We lived in NC for over eight years. Two different counties, one west NC. The other east OBX. YOU COULD SEE THE HAND WRITING ON THE WALL. bought our new coach in 2012. When we received the PPT we sold and moved. Incredible!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Agreed...

Thanks to all who responded to the questions. I have been checking with friends with motorhomes registered in NC. I live in Davidson County. The answer seems to be ... there is no rhyme or reason to the taxing of recreation vehicles from county to county. The state is now involved because of the new law that combined the registration with the property tax bill. The NCDMV statement says to call the local county clerk if you have questions about the value. The county tax clerk tells you NCDMV tells the county how to classify the vehicle for tax purposes. Oh well...

I have to agree that NC is getting less friendly tax-wise to retirees but friends in other states complain about that also. The states are all going to get their $$ from us, we just have to figure out based on our unique situations, which states do the least damage to our retired income. If you can dream it, NC can tax it. Happy trails.
Maggie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #9

Yep, I'm expecting them to mandate nostril meters so they can tax the air we breathe.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We moved to NC in 2008. We purchased our 2006 Newmar DSDP in 2013 and paid the sales and property taxes due at vehicle registration. As I recall Brunswick's valuation was $20k and tax on two cars and an RV were affordable on a fixed income.

As retired individuals from NH we are seriously considering selling our home and relocating to a more retiree friendly state as fair as taxes. It is becoming crystal clear that the current political "servants" are only interested in serving the business entities that pay them the most. We can no longer afford the retirement income and other tax increases experienced over the past two years. I am not surprised to now find my RV and vehicle property taxes are going to increase as well. Bring back the peoples' representatives! I'm getting the ---- out of this TAX state as soon as we can sell our home to the next uninformed retiree relocating to NC.
Q-Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #11

Being a Florida resident and owning a lot in an RV Resort in NC, we just considered purchasing a home in NC. After weeks of comparing the costs of owning in NC we cannot justify the increase of almost $4000 per year in NC Tax's over Florida. The bulk of the increase is our 2014 Phaeton ppt, and NC State income tax.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NC Taxes

Well I'm a little late to this party but here is my take.

First to the poster that said by a yacht, let me explain that one. I just sold a 40' Trawler and the tax bill for that was $980 to the county and $980 more to the city where it was docked on Jan 1st. So I'm not sure who the governor is giving the money to but he missed me. That ad was in reference to the fact that on boats here in NC there are no sales taxes paid. That is due to Hatteras building boats in New Bern NC and selling $2.5 mil boats sales tax free as a business incentive.

Now to the MH. I just bought a new to me used MH and the plates came with the gift of a $895 bill so I can get the permanent red sticker instead of the one with the T for temporary yellow sticker. I have until the end of Jan to pay the fee. Well my plan is to move the MH to FL, use a mail service there as my permanent address, register both cars there and stop paying any taxes to the clowns here in NC including income tax. I will put the house for sale here and be done with these folks. After 90 days from purchase FL recognizes the sales tax as being paid in NC so there will be no additional taxes or fees other than a $60 plate. So I have to wait until the second week of Jan to put the plan into effect.

It is all legal and I have nothing but time on my hands to jump though the hoops to get it done. So with a savings of about $20k+ in taxes per year I'll live with a FL mailing address as my permanent address. Who cares. With the MH I'm not going to be there all year nor here in NC either so why give the clowns here the money when I can spend it on fuel and be on the road.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #13

Vinny, you may want to read this:

https://www.myrvmail.com/florida#vehicle

Also be careful where you decide to have your domicile, insurance rates in South Florida are extremely high.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Come to Md. You can help pay the rain tax....:(

Tags
motorhome