Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

NC residents and RV taxes

Looking for some help from RV'ers in NC. I have done some reading and can't seem to find out or fully understand the tax implications of an 80K mh purchase. I know nc has their sales tax on purchase, highway use tax and property tax? I think that is it other than the usual tag and other fees…

I'm concerned with the property tax and estimating what to expect. Can anyone help me understand roughly what i'm up against?

Sorry for the remedial questions but in reading all the numbers I'm not making sense of it much.

Thanks all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Here in my state I called the court house and got those same questions answered and got a few surprises in the process. Since we bought our coach out of state we have to get it inspected by a representative of the state fire marshal's office, as well as the sheriff before we can even get the title changed.

I guess what i am saying, I'm glad I called the court house with my questions because I would have never known about the two other inspections and by knowing, I will save time and frustration getting the title switched to my name.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

yes i'm in the process of asking them..just not sure how responsive they will be

I would be purchasing in state and I know NC loves their taxes! Thanks.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #4

I know what you mean. It all depends on how busy they are at the time, and who you get. My experience was a good one.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought ours last year in Michigan and drove it back We paid a 3% sales tax and lic fee came to around 800.00 on 24000 that was about it here in nc No personal property tax you can pm me if you need more info
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschuh53 View Post
We bought ours last year in Michigan and drove it back We paid a 3% sales tax and lic fee came to around 800.00 on 24000 that was about it here in nc No personal property tax you can pm me if you need more info
Thanks…from what I can gather…

3% highway use tax (capped at 1500 for class a under 26k weight), and then property tax to NC (wake county) at about a .614 rate per 100 of 'value'. Plus the other reg fees etc. Not sure how you got away without or I'm reading this all wrong? asked for info from wakegov but still very confusing…and I'm a programmer!

thnx
Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

NC personnel property taxes are handled by each county based on their percentage of the present vehicle value. This year the NCDMV has came on board to collect the tax at the time of tag purchase. On our recently purchased Winnegabe One Towable, we paid $173 in taxes for a 32K TT.

I would recommend calling the tax department for the county in which you plan on tagging the MH in and they will be able to answer your question.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

Jseltman,
You have the correct info. I also live in Wake. One word of advice, watch the assessed value. Wake county likes to assess higher than actual market value.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Jseltman,
You have the correct info. I also live in Wake. One word of advice, watch the assessed value. Wake county likes to assess higher than actual market value.
Thank you…I read that also in a few posts. I read on the wakegov site that you can appeal and I will certainly do that once the 'purchase price' has been reached. Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Jseltman,
2nd'ed.

They tried to stick the MSRP from the bill of sale in as the actual market value.

Uh, no. The sale price is fine.

Youll be taxed at $1500 HUT as previously mentioned and for a motorhome with 80k purchase price, expect to add around $900 property tax on top of that. Dont forget the tag fee, license fee, raping fee (ok, that ones not true...), but yeah. Dont let it surprise you at the counter.

P.S. You know its bad when your fellow "patrons" hear the number, look at you and wince for you.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
2nd'ed.

They tried to stick the MSRP from the bill of sale in as the actual market value.

Uh, no. The sale price is fine.

Youll be taxed at $1500 HUT as previously mentioned and for a motorhome with 80k purchase price, expect to add around $900 property tax on top of that. Dont forget the tag fee, license fee, raping fee (ok, that ones not true...), but yeah. Dont let it surprise you at the counter.

P.S. You know its bad when your fellow "patrons" hear the number, look at you and wince for you.
I got confirmation from wakegov that the two taxes add up to about 850 or so…for an 80K purchase. She validated they do use the sale price not MRSP…still one question though..

Is the HUT an annual tax? 1500/year owned?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
I got confirmation from wakegov that the two taxes add up to about 850 or so…for an 80K purchase. She validated they do use the sale price not MRSP…still one question though..

Is the HUT an annual tax? 1500/year owned?
The 3% HUT is a one-time only fee, assessed at time of sale, or if you bought out of state, will be assessed when you register it. Think of it as a Sales Tax!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgso View Post
The 3% HUT is a one-time only fee, assessed at time of sale, or if you bought out of state, will be assessed when you register it. Think of it as a Sales Tax!
That is what I thought but I needed that confirmation! Thanks!