Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
need a new roof

Ok so this is my first post / question my 97 newmar needs a new roof what are my options ? what kind of budget should I be planning for. The rest of the unit is sound. The original roof is rubber but looks to me that water has gotten to the under wood and maybe delaminated. Was putting unit up for sale but I can't in good faith pass this problem on to someone else.

pipefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
What length? Rotted wood underneath?

Figure $6,000 to $10,000 if the wood is good and it's 40' long.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced the TPO roof with EPDM on our 43' 5er as well as replaced the roof sheating with plywood for about 2000. Did the work myself.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the full roof replaced on my 40 ft DS when I bought it in 2012. All new plywood decking and EPDM. $4G
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Originally Posted by pipefitter View Post
Ok so this is my first post / question my 97 newmar needs a new roof what are my options ? what kind of budget should I be planning for. The rest of the unit is sound. The original roof is rubber but looks to me that water has gotten to the under wood and maybe delaminated. Was putting unit up for sale but I can't in good faith pass this problem on to someone else.
Well Sir,
Long story short. I did an "Oops" on our coach way back a year or so ago and, I had to take it to a body shop for repairs. This was just in the outskirts of San Diego. It's called San Diego RV Center. I'm supplying a link to it. While our coach was in for repairs, I noticed quite a few that were having new roofs put on. The style/type of roof was/is the same almost exact product that is sprayed into pickup beds. It's a Rhino Lining of sorts. This roof is like steel. You can get up there and dance around on it, with any shoes you want, should you decide to.

I talked extensively with the shop foreman and, he said he's getting so many requests for it, he's lining them up. They mainly do SILVER on the color because it's determined that, that color is the most sun/heat reflective and, most durable. For a slight optional cost, they will color match the radius's to match your full body paint, should you desire.

I climbed up on some of the rear ladders of some nice coaches and, it looks outstanding. Basically, when their all done, the entire roof IS ONE PIECE. It's guaranteed for quite some time and, it not only reflects more heat than the original one did but, also it's considerably quieter. There were some high-end coaches being done while mine was in for repairs.

If I were in a situation whereas I really liked the coach and, needed a roof, I'd not hesitate for a minute. With that one, you're done FOREEVER and, with absolutely ZERO maintenance too. IT was not very expensive for a 36' coach so, it might be worth a call.

San Diego RV Center - Service, Parts, Paint, Body, Warranty, Consignment
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:32 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What Fire Up said is exactly along the lines I was thinking, and I've heard others rave about the process as well.

As long as the roof is structurally sound enough to walk on and hold up a/'s, etc., this is exactly the route I'd take. Even if there is some delamination, a few screws, pop rivets and/or epoxy injections would take care of it (it's the roof... who cares what it looks like?) and then they could simply mop the new coating right over the repairs and problem solved.

It's not that I'm against spending that much money on an older rig, but why spend it if you don't have to? It's definitely an option worth investigating.

Good luck!
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:56 AM   #7
There are a number of places that are now using a spray on material that no longer requires caulking. Some even come with a lifetime warranty. That's the way I'd go. I wouldn't even consider replacing my EPDM roof with the same. I've seen a Rhino Liner roof and it looked great, and as mentioned the radius's were color matched. The guy even had the front of his coach done, and from a distance you couldn't tell it was Rhino, the color match was that good. But besides Rhino there's others using different materials. The names escape me, but one is in Florida, the other actually comes to wherever you are to put it on. I was quoted $3800 for our Dutch Star. And at my age I like the idea of no longer having to climb up on the roof to caulk.

2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote