Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #1

Need a Pair of 6 Volt Chassis Batteries

Guys:

Any recommendations for purchasing a pair of 6 volt batteries for the Freightliner? I have not pulled them out yet so I don't have a size code.

As a side note, Arod just got drilled by Dempster. I am outraged!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

That was an excellant pitch.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

My 2010 Freightliner XCS chassis uses 2 group 31 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. Are you sure yours are 6 volt?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my question is a follow up to the Are you sure they are 12V?

Are you sure they are the chassis battery. Most of the diesel engines I have seen whether they are diesel pickup, Rv, Semi Truck they have at least two 12 volt batteries in parralel for the starting batteries.

A lot of Rv's use 6 volt batteries in series for the coach batteries to run the 12 volt items in the motorhome itself ( for example interior lighting)

If you replace them make sure to hook them up the same. 12 volt starting batteries are hooked in parralel ( plus to plus , negative to negative) hooking them up in series ( chassis ground to neg on battery 1, positive terminal of battery 1 to negative terminal of battery 2, Positive terminal of battery 2 to plus wire going to engine) if you hook the 12 volt batteries in series bad things happen because it now becomes 24 volts and you start frying engine computers, dash computers, gauges, sensors etc.

6 volt batteries hooked up for the coach are in series to get 12volts. Basically the rule to follow all 12 volt batteries are hooked up in parallel if you are hooking up 6v batteries there will be two batteries hooked in series no matter how many batteries you have. if you have more than two 6 volt batteries they will be hooked as two in series and those two will be hooked in parallel with 2 other 6 volt batteries. so 4 6 volt batteries will be hooked up as battery 1 and battery 2 will be in series, battery 3 and battery 4 will be in series. there will be cables hooking battery 1 for example in parallel with battery 3. If you did not understand what I just wrote have someone hook them up for you.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Battery Update

Fellas:

I just pulled the two chassis batteries out of the battery compartment and they are indeed 12 volt. ChasA they are group 31 CCA 950 as in your Freightliner.

I tested them with my hydrometer and all cells read 1.50 SG or less after full charging and a cool down period.

Glad they desulfated now and not on my trip this Winter.

Thank you all for your input and gemeni for taking the time to respond. My inquiry was for a source to buy new batteries in the event you guys might know of a discount supplier. I'll just go to NAPA.

Thanks again and Best Regards,

60Vette
Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
Fellas:

I just pulled the two chassis batteries out of the battery compartment and they are indeed 12 volt. ChasA they are group 31 CCA 950 as in your Freightliner.

I tested them with my hydrometer and all cells read 1.50 SG or less after full charging and a cool down period.

Thank you all for your input and gemeni for taking the time to respond. My inquiry was for a source to buy new batteries in the event you guys might know of a discount supplier. I'll just go to NAPA.

60Vette
Have you tried Sams Club not sure of price difference but I bought my 6 volt golf cart batteries there and they were the cheapest I found. Also bought the battery for my Porsche there for the same reason and also because they were the only ones that had the right configuration for the drain hose.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
Fellas:

60Vette
Do price shop I have found BatteriesPlus to have the best prices and better batteries.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Freightliner has a good price for them also. Even better if you belong to the Freightliner club.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

O'Reilly Auto Parts have some pretty good prices in Group 31's as well. 900-950 CCA. Shop around - a cranking battery, even a 950 CCA one, is a commodity and you can shop for price.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis