Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #1

Need Advice

I need some advice from DP owners, i am looking at a 03 Newmar K Star with a 330 Cat and a freigtliner XC chassis, it has 47K miles on it and has been well taken care of. I have never owned a MH before had a 01 K Star 5th wheel and sold it in 08, the bride and i are wanting to get back into Rving and want a MH.The RV will probably be driven 3 to 5k miles a year. We have looked at gas powered 07/08 model Bounders and Adventurers, but i think i want to go with a DP because of driveability and noise...I see that CAT no longer does engines in MHs should this be a issue with buying a older unit as far as parts and service,or should i find one with a cummins....i like Newmar they have good quality..do you think thats to many miles???? and does anyone have any input on the CAT 330?? Thanks......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome HIOCTANE to irv2.
As far as the CAT engine goes Freightliner would be doing the maintenance on the Cat. 47,000 miles as long as mileage and as long the maintenance was maintained its not even broken in yet.
Here is a brochure and Owners Guide for that year.
Good luck in your hunt and if you need some more answers join us on the Newmar forum people there to help.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum, that sounds like a great coach, you should not be dissappointed.

I bought a bank repro, got a very good deal, but it had some problems, had to work on the generator, replace seals in one of the hyd jacks, and fix the dash ac. But as I am a diy wrencher, I did all the work myself and saved a chunk of money...to put in the fuel tank

You will get better fuel mileage than the average gasser, and will love the ride and the quiet from having the engine and trans in the rear of the coach, at around 745 mph you won't hear a thing at sea level

I must be in a werid mood today, no that's normal

Serious though, that coach's engine isn't even broken in yet, that engine and trans if taken care of will go a million miles before needing a rebuild. You said that it has been taken care of, look at any paper that shows that routine maintenance has been done, oil and filter changes on both the engine and trans, if you can't locate any change them.

You have owned a fifth wheel so you are aware of many of the systems you need to check. Make sure everything works, Jacks, Fridge, water heater and furnace's and Air. Also make sure the generator starts and runs and PRODUCES AC POWER to the coach, make sure the shore power is disconnected when you test the generator, just to make sure. Check the Inverter, that it is working. Check the DOT date on the tires, several thousand to replace those.

Sounds like you have a great coach lined up there, when you get it post some pictures, we all like that.

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIOCTANE View Post
I need some advice from DP owners, i am looking at a 03 Newmar K Star with a 330 Cat and a freigtliner XC chassis, it has 47K miles on it and has been well taken care of. I have never owned a MH before had a 01 K Star 5th wheel and sold it in 08, the bride and i are wanting to get back into Rving and want a MH.The RV will probably be driven 3 to 5k miles a year. We have looked at gas powered 07/08 model Bounders and Adventurers, but i think i want to go with a DP because of driveability and noise...I see that CAT no longer does engines in MHs should this be a issue with buying a older unit as far as parts and service,or should i find one with a cummins....i like Newmar they have good quality..do you think thats to many miles???? and does anyone have any input on the CAT 330?? Thanks......
Hi Hioctane,

I am a retired cross country trucker, my 3406 Cat had 3,145,000 miles when I sold it 2 years ago, it is still working everyday. Yes its been overhauled a couple times. Cat is out of the truck engine business, but that does not mean you will have a parts or service availibility problem. I have a 99 Alpine coach with 330 Cummins, Factory out of business, but no problems.

Love my pusher, but they are much more expensive, but the expense is much more than gas vs diesel. Much more craftsman ship and comfort. Just depends on your wants and the depth of your pocket book. Good travels, old trucker
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the info so far.....getting a pretty good buy on the DP it being a Newmar i think anyway from prices i have been seeing.... he wants 57k for it, been kept inside, new tires, air ride, nav, in motion sat..another thing that has be thinking is the generator is a Kubota and has 1737 hours on it....what is the life of a generator, i know recommended service is a big thing, i feel like it SHOULD be ok as it is owned by helicopter pilots....
Old 06-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #6

Hey Hi Octane, the genset in mine has over 2800 hours on it, I think that all those hours were accumulated running the generator to have the Air conditioners on when on the road.
When I got it the Dash Air wasn't working. Fixed it the other day, see my posts on that in the fleetwood forum, a simple blown fuse that wasn't part of a fuse box only on a wire under the dash. Then a couple of bottles of 134a and we have COLD Air.
My generator runs fine, I would rather see some hours on the generator than one that has set and hardly run. They need to be ran for at least a couple of hours per month under load. If in the summer crank her up (disconnect from shore power first), yes I know the transfer switch should take care of that but I like to make sure. Then after it has ran for a couple of minutes crank up the AC's that will put a load on her.
If in the winter, get a couple of space heaters and use them to load it. Prior to shutdown, take the load off, i.e., turn off everything like the ac's or the heaters, let her run for a couple of minutes then shut it down.
Sounds like you are getting a great buy.

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My opinion is Newmar coaches are above average in quality and features. They have a great reputation. However, the little Cat engines have lots of issues that can be very expensive to repair. Go to the Power Train Garage section of this forum and select Caterpillar and read some of the issues.
Best of luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
My opinion is Newmar coaches are above average in quality and features. They have a great reputation. However, the little Cat engines have lots of issues that can be very expensive to repair. Go to the Power Train Garage section of this forum and select Caterpillar and read some of the issues.
Best of luck!
X2, on Newmar quality. When looking into Cat issues don't forget to check out the Cummins forum, lift pumps and V44 injector pumps can be an issue, JMHO avoid the 5.9 Cummins ( B ) engine . not enough torque for MH weight. Good Luck in your search