Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Need advice

I'm a newbie and we are looking at a 2000 bounder 39Z diesel pusher. My concern is that it is 13 years old. The layout is what we want and the price is right. The unit looks clean with little rust in the bays.

The question is. - is it to old to consider. It has 59,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the advice.

A novice in Michigan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No it is not too old, as long as it was taking care of. I personally have own to different MH's that were similar in years and one had over 90K on it. I am sure many can attest to this also.

Check for roof damage for previous water leaks, test all appliances, plumbing, AC etc. so you have NO surprises.

Also check the Fleetwood forum for Bounder info.

Good luck!

cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
KIX

A good mechanical inspection as well as operating (successfully) all systems would be in order. Other than that a 13 year old, well maintained, rig can be a good rig. IMO one of that vintage is better made than a comparable current model. The one thing I should mention is that virtually all motorhomes require maintenance and repair of the many systems. If you're not good at DIY you may prefer a newer rig with a warranty.
Check tire age too. Good luck........bounders are pretty popular rigs.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=KIX;1609706]A good mechanical inspection as well as operating (successfully) all systems would be in order. Other than that a 13 year old, well maintained, rig can be a good rig. IMO one of that vintage is better made than a comparable current model.

XX2! But....do your homework and due diligent inspections!!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Our Tradewinds was 13 when we bought it last year. We checked it over carefully (tires included) and have put over 5000 trouble free miles on it in a little over a year.

JoAnn
Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
HHg

I've always said a good deal wasn't just what is paid for something. It is the fact that both parties walk away happy after the transaction.

Hhg
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #7

Well I just bought a 1999 Ultimate and love it. Checked it all out and everything major worked fine. Needed some small things replaced like the dump valves and awning pulls. Did a complete maintenance on it and ready to roll. All filters ,oil change, air dryer filter,air filter, new door cylinders for storage compartment.
Cost me about a grand to do it all. Biggest was repair of rusted windshield frame and 2 new windshields that was $2600. But the RV was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. New tires in a few weeks and it'll be all done
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought our 82 last season 44,000 miles and 250 on the gennie from a guy we had bought a 64 caddie from and the 82 has been problem free (except for 2 fuel filters) I wish I could have said that about the caddie although both are in almost perfect condition. I have put more monies in the caddie than the MH and I think the MH gets better gas mileage... We have put almost 5,000 miles on the MH and love it. Go for it and enjoy it
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	40922  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If it has been properly maintained then 59000 miles is barely broke in! I would be sure to see the maintenance records before buying.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've been living in a 2002 Monaco Windsor since December 2003. The coach was delivered to the original owner in September 2001 which makes it almost 12 years old. It now has 76,000 miles on it and if it is taken care of properly it will last for one million miles or more.

I plan to use it and live in it for another 10 years or more.

Age is not the concern, it's the care an maintenance and whether it is used often or in storage more than it is used.

I have very few problems with the systems in the coach because they are used all the time. If they sit without use, that's when they go south.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think the secret to having a good MH is using it. If not traveling you need to exercise the generator and all appliances regularly. (every 4 weeks) No use of those things cause problems. They are made to use. Especially the generator. Fire it up and run ac units for about an hour. Run refrigerator also. I religiously exercise mine and have had no problems. Exercise generator and furnace in winter also.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Fan View Post
I think the secret to having a good MH is using it. If not traveling you need to exercise the generator and all appliances regularly. (every 4 weeks) No use of those things cause problems. They are made to use. Especially the generator. Fire it up and run ac units for about an hour. Run refrigerator also. I religiously exercise mine and have had no problems. Exercise generator and furnace in winter also.
All that's good advice. ONe addition and it's my opinion.....let the RV refrigerator run all the time to get the most life out of it. Whether running on electric or gas it still keeps the refrigerant circulating. The same refrigeration technology has been used for many, many years in Servel house gas refrigerators. The Servels would operate for years without any issues.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #13

Yep to the above. It's not too old, but make sure you don't pay too much for it...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #14

I owned a 2000 Bounder 39Z for about 9 years. So what can I share. It was my 2nd RV and my first diesel. At that time I was married and had 4 kids. We upgraded from a 96 Tropical while returning from a long cross country vacation. I needed more storage and mostly I needed better AC. The best thing was the ride and the large fuel tank. We could go about 700 miles in between fill ups. So that was a plus for us. The larger shower in bathroom for my 3 girls and ex-wife. That was huge selling point. At that time it had everything we wanted. The 7.5 kw generator was large enough to handle the microwave and AC's. Please note that the production model we had only had 30 amps for shore power. I should of done a little more research and got something with 50 amps. Between the dinette and the pull out bed the kids at that time slept well. Our family dog was a mail German Shepard. He was uncomfortable anytime he was in the RV while it was moving. He finally found a spot close to me near the drivers seat floor that he could sleep. I think it was the air brakes. He could hear high pitch noises which sometimes bothered me also. But any way there were a lot of positives when we traveled. Everything was fine while we traveled around the country to different sporting events for my kids. Baseball, softball and cheer leading. I even took it up to Burning Man many times. We boon-docked alot while camping but it was our home away from home. I guess the kids missed staying in hotels but I didn't miss the hotels and eating bills. LOL! Anyway here are the problems I had. 30 amp vs 50 amp. While on shore power the EMS would shed one of the AC so the microwave could run. In hot areas of the country both air conditioners are must. The rear AC should of been mounted more towards the front of the couch. The front AC struggled and the rear AC kept the bedroom too cold. I had a problem going up 6% grades. The engine light and buzzer would come on indicating an over temp. I kept taking it back in to Freight liner and nothing was found until we were in Oklahoma City and I just had enough and it turns out there was a crack in the thermostat. Grrrr Also there was a maintaince bulletin that needed to be performed. There is an oil blow back tube that needed to be lengthen below the coach. They had to clean the radiator. This was done first which didn't solve the over heating problem. Until the thermostat was replaced. The front windshield popped out up at the upper part of the windshield. I hit a bump and then the whistling started. I finally figured it out and taped it from the outside. This happened twice while on the road. My RV repair shop finally used some type of epoxy and solved the problem. The basement door do not center. There is a plastic tab which breaks and as the doors close they move to the right or to the left. If I had to say which of the problems where worse. The basement doors caused me more gray hairs. While towing a boat I lost all rear lights. The fuses were hidden behind a panel in a right rear cabinet. It took me a while to find them. While in the Midwest the RV park had a lightning strike some where just outside the park. I had to leave and fly to Chicago on business and left instructions to disconnect the shore power if there were any thunderstorms with my ex. So when I returned the following day the transfer relay and the inverter had taken the brunt of it. I fixed every thing that week. I had all of the part numbers for the relay and the inverter I fixed via a phone call to a gentleman in Richmond,CA. He actually walked me through to locate the fuse. I had to pull the inverter apart but I got it to work. I do miss my Condo On Wheels. Thus cowrv39 for my name. I did have a problem withe washer/dryer. I ended up repalcing a board. I learned a lot form my first diesel pusher. As every major toy that I have had I look forward to finally getting another diesel pusher with all of the bells and whistle installed. 59,000 miles is low. Keep the up the maintenance and change the oil and filters. It was a joy to drive the Bounder 39Z after having a gas rig that I had to have the pedal to the medal to climb hills. I miss the old rig but I do look forward to the future with a Newmar Essex some day soon. I hope this helps and good luck in your decision.