Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Need advice about Texas inspection?

My registration expires the end of December and a vehicle inspection is required to renew. I need advice on where and how to make that task as smooth and painless as possible. I'm a full timer with a 2015 Fleetwood Bounder 33C, a gas coach on a Ford chassis.

Potential pre-inspection repair issue: My remote tire pressure monitoring system has caused a malfunction in the valve stem of my front passenger side tire. The valve stem remains open when I remove the remote monitor. The tire is a Michelin. Should I look for a Ford commercial repair center or a Michelin dealer?

Recommendations for inspection location: I'm currently outside of Las Vegas, making a leisurely trip east to arrive in Austin for Christmas. I am flexible on routes but hope to find an inspection station that doesn't require a multi-day wait or advance appointment. I am painfully aware that, if I have to go to a dealership, I will need to schedule an appointment well in advance.

Can anyone recommend one or more Texas service centers for the valve stem repair and the inspection? Also, please let me know of any other items I need to check in advance, my fire extinguisher for example, to assure I pass inspection on the first pass.
rguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Itasca 35F on F53 chassis. When I had my inspection done, it was check all the lights, headlights,running, brake and turn signal lights, horn and windshield wipers.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not sure what to say as a place to have the inspection done. If I understand it correctly you are required to have the inspection done in the area where you reside due to some counties and/or City's are under stricter inspection rules than others. I know a few full timers that have their registration done in North East Texas and count that as their permanent residence. I would suggest a phone call to Texas Department of Public Safety and ask your question if you don't get it here on the forum.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #4

Since you're a full-timer how about finding a state with no inspection requirement and perhaps way cheaper registration?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #5

Very Easy Process

I assume your MH is registered in TX or you are going to register in TX. Many service stations and lube businesses offer inspections, just look for the State Inspection sign posted at the location. The items they check are what VSPA indicated. You will also have to show proof of vehicle liability insurance. I have never had to make an appointment, just ask if they can do a state inspection.
Hope this helps.
USAF Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguild View Post
Can anyone recommend one or more Texas service centers for the valve stem repair and the inspection? Also, please let me know of any other items I need to check in advance, my fire extinguisher for example, to assure I pass inspection on the first pass.
Since you're going to Austin, plan a stay at La Hacienda RV Resort on Hudson Bend Rd (lahaciendarvpark.com). Right where Hudson Bend comes off FM 620 is Don Rucker Tire ((512) 266-2640). I had my rig inspected there several times. And I'm sure they can deal with your tire stem issue while you're there. I generally called a day or two ahead.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

Not sure if I completely understand your circumstance, yet if your vehicle is registered in Texas, go to the state of Texas website below and you will be able to check a box indicating your vehicle is currently out of state which will permit you get your license plate renewal without obtaining the required state of Texas motor vehicle inspection until you return to Texas. Here is the link: https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/...hicle_info.jsp
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #8

I usually fill out the (out of Texas waiver) and they will send my sticker to our out of state location. If I get to Texas, I can get the inspection done then. Once I forgot the inspection after spending a month in Dallas, so I skipped that year. I don't think the LEO's check that often unless you attract their attention and you could always claim you were going in for an inspection the next day. The last inspection for my diesel truck, they just check the lights and then told me my brakes were bad. I showed the tech a receipt showing a complete brake job done 3 months earlier. The tech just signed the inspection form and said pay in the front office, I smiled all the way home.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On the valve stem your shraeder valve is bent..5 minute repair (if that). Regarding inspection, if you are currently registered in Tx almost positive you need to get it inspected in your county of registration.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
Itasca 35F on F53 chassis. When I had my inspection done, it was check all the lights, headlights,running, brake and turn signal lights, horn and windshield wipers.
On our little 28 footer, Texas inspection is done just about any place a regular automobile inspection is had. As you said, it's to make sure the lights (head, tail, brake, marker, and license plate) are working. Horn needs to work, windshield wipers have to be in good shape and work, and tires need to have decent tread on them. I'm not positive about this but, emissions may be tested if the inspection is done in Houston, or possibly one of the other larger cities.

The place i usually have ours inspected is a tire shop so it would also be a good place to have the valve stem repaired.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:04 AM   #11

In ElPaso. Stanley Spring and Suspension. A couple of years ago I spent the better part of a day looking for someone in El Paso to inspect our rig. Finally found these guys, they were fast and good.

8800 Castner Dr
El Paso, tx
United States
(915) 593-3737
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:58 AM   #12

I concur with VSPA above. However, call ahead to make sure the inspection place has the space to accept your rig. Some stations are so small, that a big rig will not fit. However, most stations should be able to inspect your rig. Be sure to have an up to date proof of insurance, as that is the first question you will be asked.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

I don;t see why you think you need to go to Ford or Michelin to get the valve stem replaced. Any tire repair place can do it. Save the money, the tire repair place will be less expensive.

Agree on going to TXDPT site to find an inspection place. Again, shouldn't be a problem. Call the CG you plan to dstay at ask them and stop for the inspection before going into camp.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just got ours inspected at a Houston Ford Dealer "Quick Lane". Called to set apt but was told none needed. In and out under three hours - state inspection, lube, oil change and Ford inspection. Total if memory still working total was $65.38. Just call Ford and ask for motorhome capable dealers. They gave us three or four and we just picked the closest one.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, texas