Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Need advice for TV reception

Just bought a new RV and looking for some advice about best way to get, installand and what service to use?
Any Advice?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We thought we would be able to "live" on digital OTA alone. At the time, "The Jack" was leading-edge technology and that is what we went with. It was not very expensive and easy to install; the reception is great when we are near a major town.

Turns out that we are more addicted to TV than we wanted to admit. Many of the places we stay are often in-the-middle-of-nowhere and The Jack wouldn't/couldn't cough up any TV stations. We convinced ourselves to buy a satellite dish. Based on the recommendations in this forum, we went with The Trav'ler. In spite of it's 53 pound massiveness, it was quite easy to install -- a couple hours at most. Am very impressed with the reception, too (knock on wood).

As far as the provider goes, I am sure both Dish and DirecTV are great. We chose DirecTV because of their Mobile Package and Distant Network Service ("DNS") offering (you have to sign a waiver, tho). DNS enables you to receive network programming (ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC) when you are outside your home "zone." It feeds you channels from New York and Los Angeles, instead, wherever you are. It's a great solution for travelers who want to enjoy shows on these channels while on-the-road in their RV. Not sure how Dish works in this regard.

\ken

https://support.directv.com/app/answ...rvice-(dns)%3F

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #3

I would go with Dish. Only because AT&T now owns Direct TV. I don't do business with AT&T.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

We have Dish at home and had the Dish Trav'ler 1000 installed in the MH. I picked up my own receiver and for $7.00 a month I add it to my bill plus we can turn it off when not in use. I just leave it on because there is always something to do in the MH plus that's where the beer is
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have 3.3 plus 1 (sometimes) optionsThey are:
1: Over the air using your roof mounted antenna. Of the antennas I have seen tested which include the JACK nothing beats a Winegard Batwing (Sensar II III or IV) with Wingman (The IV comes with it. NOTHING, And frankly I do not think anything ever will. IN addition. you can add the SENSAR PRO indoor moduel. That makes even better.. I have that. It routinely out performs The Jack.

Your optional option (Only some RV parks) is "Park Cable" Where I"m stuck, I have that as well.

Next comes two somewhat alike options. Dish network and DirecTV or DirecHDTV (I did say .3)

As to which to choose.. Well.. I think they are both overpriced which is why I do not use 'em. Have in the past though (Both) so I have some observations.

DishNetwork uses 3 satellites
DirecTV uses one satellite
DirecHDTV uses 3 satellites and TWO of them are in a different frequency band from the ones DirecTV and Dish use.

What does this mean?
A Dome, be it a rooftop or a portable (one and 1/2 of the 3 points) can see only one sat at a time and that only in the band shared by both Dish (All 3 birds) and DirecTV (non-HD) so if you have a SINGLE receiver (I do) it works well, but if you have multiple Receivers or a "Dual Receiver/DVR", you can run into issues with Dish with wanting to see two satellites at one time. And of course you can not get DirecHDTV at all.

With a DISH type antenna, roof or ground mounted, matched to the service you use.. IT WORKS.. period. End of discussion on that HOWEVER

Roof mounted antennas.. Work great when you are parked someplace like where I am (no trees to interfear) but if you are parked under or beside the Evil Signal Eating Tree.. NO JOY

Ground mounts (ALways manual so far) work well, you can set them up (usually) out from under the aforementioned tree.

And that covers it:

Which service (Dish or Direct) do I recommend???? I do not.. They both have advantages over the other.. There is, for example ONE sat TV channel I'd like to watch (I may set it up so I can some day) It's on Dish Network satellite 119. Thus If I have Sat I'll get Dish.

But some folks.. For example my son-in-law.. Well they prefer the offerings on DirecTV over those on Dish.. And thus that is the better service for them..

in both cases you review the program packages and choose the one you liek the best.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

I have Dish service at home and on the road. I purchased a Winegard Pathway X2 automatic portable antenna and I have been very pleased with it. I do not worry about tree issues since I can place the antenna anywhere that works. I purchased a low loss coax cable so I can put it 100 feet away if needed. It can feed 2 receivers but I only use 1. It is really nice having the same channels at home and on the road.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did forget to mention that when I said ground Mounts were only manual I was speaking of DISH.
Domes, be they roof or ground moujnt (Ilike the X2) are automatic or semi-automatic.

And yes you need a ground mount due to the trees.. Roof mount is optional.. A/B switches can make antenna selection easier
A=Above
B=Below
on my coach the B input is mounted on the Brake Bell crank Bracket down Below the hood (a plethora of "B"s don't you know)
Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 AM   #8

I'm still stymied and "Cornfused" on which system to get, but there is nothing like watching tv news and other programs while out camping late at night. Guess we're all addicted. Old habits die hard. I've been using my cell phone for my shows although there are times when there is no reception. And its tough watching the small screen of a cell phone regardless of the screen size. Guess that's why I have and need "Cheater" glasses. I don't camp in the summer time, its just to damn hot this summer on the road, but I also don't park under any trees when I'm parked. Hurry and get here fall and winter. I guess my next trip out I'm taking dvd's or continue to listen to IHeartRadio.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 AM   #9

We went with Dish due to the pay as you go service...it's OK but with all the trees here in the Pac NW it can be problematic. Nice when it works.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the wineguard traveler in motion system with dish network and the 99 dollar box from camping world. I think it's a vip 211. Love it! A couple of times we had to take a spot where the signal was blocked by trees but rarely. I understand wineguard makes a portable dome type system and I was thinking I would carry that as well so when we are in the trees I could hook that through my park cable port in the wet bay and use the portable
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yea, the in motion works great and the HD is great as well
Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

I have Direct Tv at home and use a King Flex in the rv which is fully automatic but no HD. This portable satellite dome only works with non SVM satellite receivers. I have an H-21 satellite receiver that I switch between the house and the rv because it can be used with or without an SVM switch.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Golferdave78 - congrats on your new purchase. We have a Class A and just recently replaced the older Kingdome with the new Kingdome tailgater. This unit can either be used as a portable or mounted on the roof (we mounted ours). We use it with Dish which we have at home and use the VIP211 receiver. It works great except as others have noted, when you luck out and get a spot with a lot of trees. I hooked the Winegard over the air antennae into it and scan for local channels which are combined in the Dish on screen guide. As you see above, there are a lot of good choices. Enjoy the road and the journey.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I have the wineguard traveler in motion system with dish network and the 99 dollar box from camping world. I think it's a vip 211. Love it! A couple of times we had to take a spot where the signal was blocked by trees but rarely. I understand wineguard makes a portable dome type system and I was thinking I would carry that as well so when we are in the trees I could hook that through my park cable port in the wet bay and use the portable
Are you sure you have a winegard traveler in motion. As far as I know there is no such animal. You sure you do not mean wineguard dome in motion ?

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice