Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Need advice on a used Class A (don't want typical looking fiberglass sidewalls)

Hey folks. I'm in the market for a higher quality 2002-2007ish Class A (V10 gas preferred, diesel considered) in the 36ish+ foot range that has full body paint. I want either aluminum or high quality glass-smooth fiberglass sidewalls, and not the normal fiberglass you see on MHs (that have that distinctive "Fiberglass" look). My 01 Damon Intruder has glass-smooth walls...no ripples, no slight orange peel texture. Just a perfect mirror smooth finish. Newer Intruders aren't made the same, have that slight "fiberglass" texture, and are more prone to delamination

Now, although I'm one of those guys that can name off almost every class A model made in the last 20 yrs, I don't know everything about every single model, simply because there are some I've never had the chance to see and touch up close.

I realize often more expensive rigs are better built, but not always.

36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Basically I want something less prone to delamination

Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
There was an "outbreak" of delamination issues in the early 2000s caused by a supplier issue. Haven't been too many since then. Use the search tool on this and other forums and see if you can find examples in the last half of the 2000s.

Your "smooth" finish was just a good paint job. Have what ever you buy repainted and specify 4 or more coats of clear coat. It will look real smooth and your pocket will be empty but it will look great.
Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Prevost: Marathon or Liberty??
Grand Cherokee Toad
Oldkarphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
You already mentioned Newmar, but our 2005 KSDP has mirror smooth walls. It's full body paint over FG.

No help, but still..............
Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Yeah, from what I have seen, Newmar is about the only coach company that has high quality side walls.

And the finish on mine actually isn't smooth because it has a good paint job....mine doesn't have full body paint. High-quality finish in this case is due to the production process and the quality of fiberglass. Panels are double walled, vacuum bonded, then a fine top layer put on before being finished. If you don't have a high quality glass-like surface, paint finishes won't look good, no matter what you do.
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Old 06-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
look at both country coach and beaver in the era you are looking. both will not disappoint you
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Price range?
Jayco makes some large Class-C and super-C that fit that bill. Having owned two class-As, I like the C better, but that's not what you're asking for.

As mentioned above, the fiberglass issue of 2000-2005 is gone. You'll still need to watch for delamination on some rigs and make sure they're well cared for.. If really clean, you're likely looking for stored inside.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Don't discount a little older. We recently purchased a 2001 Dutch Star by Newmar, glass smooth finish.
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
As you can see from the attached photo our 15-yr-old Beaver Patriot Thunder still has beautiful full-body paint with multiple clearcoat layers. Quality manufacturers can make coaches that retain their looks. Unfortunately, most don't take the time or $$ to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflections2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	98248  

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, class a