Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #1

Need advice on motorhome purchase please

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about buying a 1999 Fleetwood bounder 32ft for $13,000. I have never owned a rv before and have no experience at all with them. Are fleetwoods any good?
leslie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Wether or not the manufacturer is good is somewhat offset by how well the coach has been maintained at this point. Fleetwood has been in business for several years and their products are well built, but are a sum of the parts used, but make good entry level units. Lots of things can be, or go wrong with a unit that’s 21 years old. You might get a good deal, or you might get someone else’s problems. Inspect the coach and by all means take it for a test drive. One last thought. Don’t expect to not need to fix something sometime after purchasing any 21 year old unit, so leave room in your budget for the unexpected.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.

That vintage Fleetwood is very good. HOWEVER, its 20 years old.. Anticipate spending several thousand to bring up to speed on maintenance. (i.e. if tires are over about 7 years old, thats at least $2500 right there.

If its on a Ford F53 chassis, here is a checklist that will apply to the chassis:

F53 inspection / maintenance checklist – 1999 Southwind 35S

Here is a somewhat generic checklist that covers most of the motorhome stuff, including some F53 stuff.You can print this one out..

PRE-Purchase Inspection

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

Don't forget, motorhome tires age out at 10 years. Check the date code on the tires. We bought a 1999 Georgie Boy 35 footer. It had 15000 miles! I did all maintenance, performed some upgrades, and replaced all 6 tires. It has been a fantastic coach! Check for leaks and test everything to make sure it works. Get a pre purchase inspection. Don't be afraid of the age, just condition. Good luck!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #5

make sure you check inside and out for delamenation !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #6

Actually, it's 21+ years old which means there are probably a lot of things that can be close to ageing out. So much depends on how much the unit was used, how it was treated, and how well the maintenance and repairs were handled over the years.

Doing a good inspection, looking at wear and tear, checking operation of appliances, and going over the maintenance records are things that can help you make the decision.

There are a couple of things I'd look at first before getting too involved with the rest of the inspection. Tires, checked not only for wear, but for age. If too old, say around 7 years or more, then it's probably about time to replace which will cost a bunch.

The other thing important to me is the checking for water leaks in the ceiling and anywhere else inside the coach. I'd want to look closely at the ceiling, inside cabinets, and along walls for any sign of a water leak. There's a decent chance bigger, maybe hidden, problems exist if evidence of water intrusion is spotted.

The Fleetwood Bounder model has been around a long time. The one you're looking at could be a good rig but you'll most likely find problems here and there. You just gotta keep in mind that the initial $13,000 is just the beginning of the outgoing cash flow.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:01 PM   #7

I highly recommend hiring a NRVIA level 2 inspector to go through that Bounder and give you a condition report to minimize any surprises and if you want, renegotiate the price. An analysis of the engine, transmission and coolant fluids is a good idea as well - something the inspector can help you with.
You can find inspectors on the NRVIA site:
https://nrvia.org/locate/
Old 01-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with Bill's recommendation! I would not buy one without a thorough inspection by a qualified inspector!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #9

We have a Monaco of about that age. We have replaced the cooler unit in the fridge, repaired the furnace, replaced air bags, shocks and suspension bushings, new roof, water heater repairs, new faucets, tires, etc. Lots of little stuff too - smoke detectors, AC thermostat, reading lights, cabinet latches. switches, dash radio...

We have no regrets, and our repair list is probably typical for an RV of that age. But be aware that you can spend several thousand in a day.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various forums and ask questions as they come up or add info when you can.

All good advice above and i agree that a 20 year old coach will have problems and systems that will need work or repair. A lot will depend on how it has been taken care of so far by the previous owner/owners. DO have have an independent inspection done (0ne you pay for) and this will cost several hundred dollars but it will give you an idea on what you are going to need to get things in top working order. Sometimes a great deal is not such a great deal.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie1988 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about buying a 1999 Fleetwood bounder 32ft for $13,000. I have never owned a rv before and have no experience at all with them. Are fleetwoods any good?
A couple was looking to buy our older Class C right before I asked the husband if he was handy. Immediately, the wife said nope. I never saw them again. I think they made the right decision...…

Of course, if 13k isn't that big of a deal and you have plenty of time for a new hobby than you could give it a try.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #12

As mentioned above, inspect, inspect, inspect. Also ask for service history, there are a lot of components what will age out in well under 20 years. For the most part anything made from rubber should have been replaced at least once by now, this includes tires (every 7 years), as well as belts, hoses and bushings, there are a lot of these. I had a guy with the same brand and model coach as mine, but a 97 model stop by my place last year, and while looking over things on his, new to him coach we found numerous rubber items which had dry rotted to nothing, including the front sway bar bushings which were simply gone with the sway bar being held in only by the metal bracket straps.

In addition to this check the condition and function of all the appliances, and also very importantly check the roof, RV's roofs should be checked annually if not more often, and sealant around vents etc, should be replaced about ever 5 years depending on the climate.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie1988 View Post
Hello everyone,

We love our Bounder that we've been traveling in for over a year. Get an inspection. You're buying a house.
https://nrvia.org/locate/
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwoods of that vintage were as good as any in that price class and better than some others. As far as brand goes, it's a decent choice. However, condition is all that really matters in a 20+ year old motorhome. It's an older house on an older vehicle, so state of maintenance is critical and normal aging has to be considered on just about everything.

$13,000 is a decent price if everything is in working condition. The Bounder was an entry level model but quite popular at the time. The Southwind and Pace Arrow were the more upscale Fleetwood gas-powered coaches, with nicer interiors and cabinetry but pretty much the same mechanically.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, motorhome, purchase