Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Need advice on purchase

Got out of rving for awhile and miss it so much that we are looking to buy and get back in it.
Considering a '04 Coachman Cross Country 38' dp with 34k on it. I am not familiar with this coach and am seeking advice on it.
It is 800 miles from me and I know no one in that area of PA. to go inspect it for me so am relying on advice from here on the unit and how reliable it might be.
What questions should I ask and what do I need to be aware of?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Jim and Carol
2005 Monaco Windsor
2010 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome back to the fold Abrasv, I am not familiar with the coach but I would suggest good old Google. I am sure you could get many opinions with a little searching. With enough digging you probably could find brochures and specs on the coach. Questions to ask on the phone could be endless. What type of motor? How was it maintained? ( service records available? ) Did they have any issues? Why are they selling it? Has it ever been in an accident, How old are the tires? TV system, Sat / Digital ready? Condition of roof? What type of roof? Last time roof was serviced? Ever had water leaks, roof, windows, plumbing. The list can go on and on. I would not be hesitant to ask anything. I would not put off the image that I do not trust. I would just ask what I honestly hoped to get an answer to. I sold my previous coach out right. I really appreciated persons who asked a lot of good questions. Made me feel like they would take care of the coach. I could distinguish between the silly ones and the legit ones pretty quickly. Good luck and welcome back!

Chuck and Tammy
2009 Phaeton 40' QTH
1982 CJ7 "The Bucket"
Joshua 24:15
ChucknTammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Jim, I have used appraisal/RV inspection services to have a look at coaches before makeing a long drive for nothing. The last time was a while back, I think it was around $300.00 they sent a very detailed report with photos, and checked all systems for proper operation as well. You should be able to find one on the internet that is close to the coach to be looked at. I have used several and have been satisfied with all of them. Good luck
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can not tell you about that unit other than the company rep is good, or at least good far as i know.

You can google RV service and the zip code where it's located,, You may be able to find an "ON-Site" type service tech who will, for a fee, go do an inspection of the rig for you.

The other choices are, In order of personal prefernece, Train, Bus, Airplane, 32 hour round trip by car. NOTE Train, now days, often does not go there. (But it may get you close enough to rent a car for the last say fifty miles). I happen to like trains. Like planes too, do not like airports and The Stupid Agency (TSA) however, which is why planes get next to last billing.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote