Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #1

Need advice on TPMS, balancing rings

Having a new-to-me MH, I've been thinking about adding a tire-pressure monitoring system and Centramatic balancing rings. Right now, I don't even have dually valve extenders, so the coach is pretty much in a start-from-scratch condition. I don't know which brand of TPMS I should consider, whether balancing rings would cause any physical interference with the TPMS or valve extenders, or if the TPMS precludes using valve extenders at all. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #2

Subscribed. I too am curious on both items or alternatives to ring.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #3

Bump. Does anybody have any advice?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you search on TPMS you'll find a ton of reading material on the topic.

I use the Doran 360 but if I were to do it again I would probably go another direction because I've had 9 of 10 sensors fail within the first 2.5 years of full time service.

Valve extenders are no problem for a TPMS so long as they are metal and not rubber. I'm not familiar with the balancing rings you mention.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a TST tpms that I installed this spring and it has worked perfect since March this year. I have no info on balance rings
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

The Pressure Pro gets good ratings, but I don't like the size of it.
So does Equal and Dyna for balancing. Looks like about $20 per bag for Dyna, including valves and caps.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #7

OK...I am wondering if you are supposed to have your tires rebalanced when you put the TPMS sensors on, or if you just ignore the extra weight? On the rear duallies, I guess you could make sure the sensors are 180 degrees opposite each other to compensate for the extra weight. What do you do?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #8

From what I have read, the external ones are so light you don't need to re-balance. Not sure about the internal ones. I've also read where you should go to metal valve stems with the external sensors. The internal ones I had in my 5er had metal stems on the sensors.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The vast majority of us ignore the impact sensors have on wheel balance.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the Pressure Pro, same as Doran and have had them on for 4 years with no failures. I have them on the Motorhome and the CR-V toad and never re balanced the tires for the sensors. I have the unit attached to the top of my dash and has worked out fine. I love this thing for the peace of mind and ease of checking your tires. Just don't check the pressure while crossing the desert in the summer. You will upset your wife as you scream "HOLY CRAP" and Your breakfast will be in your mouth !
I have the Centramatick (sp) on my Pick up and they work great. The ones to fit my Moterhome were way to pricey so I had my new Yokahama tires spin Balanced although would have gone with the beads if they couldn't spin balance them.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #11

Thread Theft.

I had good success with Yokohama's on my TH. If they make a 19.5 to replace the G670s on Breeze, IYO, would they be as good/same or better than Toyo's?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #12

A friend of mine is running the balancing rings as well as a TPMS (brand unknown), on a 40 Ft Dutch Star with no problems. I've been using the Pressure Pro for over six years and would not run without it. Well worth the money and the peace of mind.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #13

Couple questions about the Pressure Pro. What's an approx price for one for 8-10 tires? What is the frequency of the alarm? Most of the alarms on these type of devices have a frequency that I can't hear. Usually around 2600-2800 Hz. I would like to put it in that recess area on top of the dash and route the power wire between the dash and the backup monitor. Would that be do-able or would it be hard to read at that distance?

Sorry for all the noobie questions. Just want to get it right the first time.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #14

I paid Approx $700 for my system several years ago, that was the receiver and six sensors. I don't know what the frequency of the alarm is, but I have tinitus and can not hear high pitched sounds, but I can hear the alarm on the reciever. I have my receiver mounted on the dash with velcro, right above my rear camera monitor and plug it into the 12V aux plug below that, it can be hardwired, but I just never took the time to do that. I move it back and forth between my MH and pickup. If I had to replace this one for any reason I believe I would go to a system that is now on the market where you can replace the batteries in the sensors. You have to send the Pressure Pro sensors back for battery replacement. Although I've never had to do that in the six years or so I've been running mine.