Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Need Advice on Used Diesel Pusher

I have been looking for a used DP for about a month now. I am pretty casual and look at them as I find them (not in a great hurry, in other words).

I saw one today that has me intrigued. 2001 Fleetwood Discovery 28D.

Low retail (as equipped minus the broken stuff) $34,280, Avg Retail $41,320.

This coach is a little bit of an enigma, partly because the lot owner comes off as a bit of a con man. The engine is the 330HP 7.2L cat with 860 ftlbs of torque. It started right up with no black smoke from the tail pipe. The generator wouldn't start because (I hope) it was less than 1/3 full of fuel. (Funny, the lot owner told me if I had made an appointment with him he would have had it all ready to go, but I did make an appointment...). The unit has 79k miles and the generator ~450 hours. Both good numbers.

The roof membrane (TPO) was pristine, like it had just been cleaned. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a replacement. All the sealant on the roof was darkened and cracked. Would have to totally replace the sealant. There was some staining of the ceiling in the bathroom area, but all the wood was solid. Nothing spongy about the entire coach as far as i could tell.

Slides operated smoothly with no apparent signs of leaks. The awnings on top of both slides are missing. The main awning seems to be serviceable (couldn't pull it out because it was too close to another unit, but saw a picture with it extended).

Lots of broken stuff, light lenses, side view mirror, vent cover over the fridge vent...

Couldn't test some of the stuff because the house batteries were "dead".

Tires dryrotted, would have to be replace immediately.

One thing that set off bells and whistles was the fact that only two of the four house batteries were hooked up. I have no idea what is going on there.

The lot owner says the way he usually works is he goes through everything after the unit is purchased. He strongly discouraged me from having an outside inspection.

His asking price is $37000, but would come down to $35000 for me.

So do I insist on having an inspection and then try to bargain him down a few thousand, or just keep looking? Wife and I really like the floor plan. Would spend many many weekends fixing broken stuff.

One part of me says that he may not be willing to come down enough even after I have an inspection and demonstrate the $6000-$7000 worth of work the coach needs (including tires). The other part of me says this coach could be a fun, reliable second home (maybe a first home when retire) and with a little TLC could hold its value quite well if we decide to sell.

So what do you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
I have been looking for a used DP for about a month now. I am pretty casual and look at them as I find them (not in a great hurry, in other words).

This coach is a little bit of an enigma, partly because the lot owner comes off as a bit of a con man. The engine is the 330HP 7.2L cat with 860 ftlbs of torque. It started right up with no black smoke from the tail pipe. The generator wouldn't start because (I hope) it was less than 1/3 full of fuel. (Funny, the lot owner told me if I had made an appointment with him he would have had it all ready to go, but I did make an appointment...). The unit has 79k miles and the generator ~450 hours. Both good numbers.

The roof membrane (TPO) was pristine, like it had just been cleaned. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a replacement. All the sealant on the roof was darkened and cracked. Would have to totally replace the sealant. There was some staining of the ceiling in the bathroom area, but all the wood was solid. Nothing spongy about the entire coach as far as i could tell.

Slides operated smoothly with no apparent signs of leaks. The awnings on top of both slides are missing. The main awning seems to be serviceable (couldn't pull it out because it was too close to another unit, but saw a picture with it extended).

Lots of broken stuff, light lenses, side view mirror, vent cover over the fridge vent...

One thing that set off bells and whistles was the fact that only two of the four house batteries were hooked up. I have no idea what is going on there.

The lot owner says the way he usually works is he goes through everything after the unit is purchased. He strongly discouraged me from having an outside inspection.

So do I insist on having an inspection and then try to bargain him down a few thousand, or just keep looking? Wife and I really like the floor plan. Would spend many many weekends fixing broken stuff.

One part of me says that he may not be willing to come down enough even after I have an inspection and demonstrate the $6000-$7000 worth of work the coach needs (including tires). The other part of me says this coach could be a fun, reliable second home (maybe a first home when retire) and with a little TLC could hold its value quite well if we decide to sell.

So what do you think?
you sure its not a 38d???

Old 09-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #3

This really sent up flags for me:

"The lot owner says the way he usually works is he goes through everything after the unit is purchased. He strongly discouraged me from having an outside inspection."

What does this mean? He is going to replace everything that is bad or broken? I wouldn't trust this guy as far as I can throw him. And then he discouraged you from an outside inspector? Some parts may not be found on a unit this old. If he wants to sell this for that price, he needs to fix it now.

Run don't walk!
Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

I agree with Bob of FreedomDream above. Just doesn't sound right and the vibes are wrong. Just my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

It must be a 38d and according to NADA, low retail is $30,950 and high retail is $37,300. With the coach being 14 years old, any optional toot or whistle it may have had when new is worth nothing now, so don't get hooked into paying for anything more than the base unit. It probably has 22.5" tires on it and that alone will set you back about $3500 mounted and balanced for all 6.

The fact that the dealer doesn't want an 3rd party inspection says something(s) is(are) in need of attention or repair which would significantly add to the cost of ownership. Get the serial number and run a Carfax report. Among the info from that report you will see if it was ever in an accident, bank owned (repo) or auctioned. Also ask for all the maintenance records to insure the coach was properly cared for by its previous owner(s).
Dan
Old 09-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Keep looking. This deal sounds fishy to me. Especially since the lot owner is discouraging you from getting an independent inspection.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
you sure its not a 38d???
lol yes 38d
Old 09-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks all, moving on.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post

So what do you think?
Sounds to me like your heart (emotions) are telling you to buy and your head is telling you to run. I always try to listen to my head because it's usually right. You sound like you already know what to do. Good luck with your decision.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't get discouraged too easily, is it a consignment lot, sorry not a lot of good salesmen out there, trust your instincts, get the inspection, check the vehicle history, then, if your still interested, you can make on educated offer,
The repairs depend on how handy you are, it's all bargaining chips, he can't make you buy it,as you can't make him take an offer he doesn't like, but there's no harm in trying, if you like the coach
Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Need Advice on Used Diesel Pusher

"Lots of broken stuff..."

That alone says no way to me. If the previous owner couldn't even fix broken taillight lenses and vent covers, I seriously doubt it was maintained properly.

Walk away, IMO.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Sounds to me like your heart (emotions) are telling you to buy and your head is telling you to run. I always try to listen to my head because it's usually right. You sound like you already know what to do. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, Really just don't want to let a diamond in the rough get away. Would like to find something that I can maintain and will last. Hate the thought of paying top dollar (have seen the same year/model go for mid $50ks, way above blue book).
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Don't get discouraged too easily, is it a consignment lot, sorry not a lot of good salesmen out there, trust your instincts, get the inspection, check the vehicle history, then, if your still interested, you can make on educated offer,
The repairs depend on how handy you are, it's all bargaining chips, he can't make you buy it,as you can't make him take an offer he doesn't like, but there's no harm in trying, if you like the coach
I am pretty handy around the house, but not so handy with vehicles. I think I could do any of the remodeling/repairs, AC replacement, appliance replacement, cleaning in the house portion, but I am not a diesel mechanic, so would be looking for a reliable chassis.

The problem with this particular deal is I think the lot owner won't come down enough ($29k or so) to make me happy, in the mean time I have paid an inspector several hundred dollars...

I think I will wait a month or so and see if it is still on the lot.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, walk away. No maintenance= big troubles ahead.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, diesel