Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
need advice re flo jet macerator system

Hello
I am at the rv show in tampa....and of course there is the flo Jet macerator system.
One thing they do not show is a full time hookup for the gray water. When i ask they say they will send me a free T connection. I wonder why they do not keep it at the show to include ..... does it open a can of worms for them.
My concern is that i am full time....so i leave my Gray water valve open. I would like to know that the gray water will gravity feed properly and how do i layout the 20 foot of hose if i am close to the sewer connection and what if there is a uphill grade? do i have to straighten out 20 feet and put supports under it to give it the downhill slant so it can gravity feed.
I am concerned because i would like to get rid of the large dirty slinky. ( i would keep 10ft. of the 3inch slinky stored for backup.
any input is greatly appreciated.....Even if it is stick with the 3inch slinky and then is there a best slinky...thank you all
__________________

__________________
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
WeBeGone2's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 159
I just got my Flo Jet. It works great. On my M/H I need to swing the main discharge outlet up, so discharge is out the bay door, not the round hole in bottom of bay. Can't close bay door with Flo Jet attached. No biggie. I want fluids in the grey tank so when I dump black tank I can 'rinse' the hose out with grey water. Grey tank lasts about 8 days and the black lasts about 20 days. I travel with a small dog and she prefers to go outside. When I had a travel partner, she could not get the concept of 'Navy' showers so grey lasted about 4 days. So every 4 days hook up the Flo Jet and whoosh it is done in 5 minutes.
__________________

__________________
2004 H/R Endeavor PDQ
2005 PT Cruiser
1982 Yamaha 185 Exciter
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
thank you....however i am full time...and my concern is that i want to keep the gray water valve open. When i am getting close to black water dump out i then close the gray water valve to let the water build up for the clean out. But when staying in a place for a while i do not want to keep the gray water closed. I do not mind waiting 5 minutes for the black water to pump out although i understand that really can be a long time....especially if i would be at a station with people waiting....the 3 inch is fast. ( however my concern goes back to the gravity feed of the gray water and the 20 foot hose )
__________________
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Mike Canter's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Freeport, ME
Posts: 4,707
If you have to leave the bay door open then how do you stop critters from getting in and what do you do if the temps fall below freezing?
__________________
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vegasdan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
thank you....however i am full time...and my concern is that i want to keep the gray water valve open. When i am getting close to black water dump out i then close the gray water valve to let the water build up for the clean out. But when staying in a place for a while i do not want to keep the gray water closed. I do not mind waiting 5 minutes for the black water to pump out although i understand that really can be a long time....especially if i would be at a station with people waiting....the 3 inch is fast. ( however my concern goes back to the gravity feed of the gray water and the 20 foot hose )
If it's an up hill run forget about gravity feed. We full time with a Sanicon portable that does not have a gray water bypass. I only connect it when I am ready to dump the black followed by some gray. In between I use a cap adapter that has a male hose thread built into it and put that on my sewer outlet, then thread on my 3/4" hose and run that to a septic tank. I leave my gray valve open and drain that way. When my black is getting close to full, I close the gray valve and let some gray build up. As far as the factory 20' macerator small slinky, I took mine off and put 1' of 1" clear tubing on with fittings for hose. Then I screw 3/4" hose on and pump through that. The factory slinky does not work well as it wants to squirm all over and create tight bends when you are pumping. After I had put up with it for a dozen pumps it even sprung a leak so another reason to convert over to 3/4" hose. Do not use 5/8" hose or fittings!
__________________
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
WeBeGone2's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If you have to leave the bay door open then how do you stop critters from getting in and what do you do if the temps fall below freezing?

My Flo Jet is not permanently connected. I use it when I need to send my 'stuff' a long way. At campground dump station I go back to the ol'slinky.
__________________
2004 H/R Endeavor PDQ
2005 PT Cruiser
1982 Yamaha 185 Exciter
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeGone2 View Post
I just got my Flo Jet. It works great. On my M/H I need to swing the main discharge outlet up, so discharge is out the bay door, not the round hole in bottom of bay. Can't close bay door with Flo Jet attached. No biggie. I want fluids in the grey tank so when I dump black tank I can 'rinse' the hose out with grey water. Grey tank lasts about 8 days and the black lasts about 20 days. I travel with a small dog and she prefers to go outside. When I had a travel partner, she could not get the concept of 'Navy' showers so grey lasted about 4 days. So every 4 days hook up the Flo Jet and whoosh it is done in 5 minutes.
thank you for the info.....I do not see why the flo jet would not go through the large hole in the bottom of the the bay like the slinky does now. I do expect to allow the gray to fill so the hose will be cleaner after dumping the black water. ( the gray will remain open for gravity feed most of the time )
__________________
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeGone2 View Post
My Flo Jet is not permanently connected. I use it when I need to send my 'stuff' a long way. At campground dump station I go back to the ol'slinky.
i purchased the permanent setup. I am hoping i do not have to go back to the slinky. I will keep a 10" clean slinky stored in case of a Flo Jet breakdown.
__________________
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
If it's an up hill run forget about gravity feed. We full time with a Sanicon portable that does not have a gray water bypass. I only connect it when I am ready to dump the black followed by some gray. In between I use a cap adapter that has a male hose thread built into it and put that on my sewer outlet, then thread on my 3/4" hose and run that to a septic tank. I leave my gray valve open and drain that way. When my black is getting close to full, I close the gray valve and let some gray build up. As far as the factory 20' macerator small slinky, I took mine off and put 1' of 1" clear tubing on with fittings for hose. Then I screw 3/4" hose on and pump through that. The factory slinky does not work well as it wants to squirm all over and create tight bends when you are pumping. After I had put up with it for a dozen pumps it even sprung a leak so another reason to convert over to 3/4" hose. Do not use 5/8" hose or fittings!
judging by your description it does not sound like the sani con is like the flo jet....other than the method of dumping with a pump. The flo jet does not use a slinky type of hose. It is a strong smooth wall 1" inside diameter hose. I hope it works the way i want it to. thanks
__________________
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,726
Gadget I have a Clean Dump system with out a bypass but plan on adding piping to be able to do the bypass.
Your Gray tank is up high in your coach and will drain up a slight grade but will be slow depending on the grade. You have a 50 or 45 gal tank so should not cause a problem if taking a shower or using washer.
All my hoses go through the hole in bottom of compartment floor and I store in flip down tray for sewer hose and tray will close with 1" hose for travel.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Vegasdan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
judging by your description it does not sound like the sani con is like the flo jet....other than the method of dumping with a pump. The flo jet does not use a slinky type of hose. It is a strong smooth wall 1" inside diameter hose. I hope it works the way i want it to. thanks
It'll work. The sani con hose is a joke but the pump is good. I've pumped over 120ft though 3/4" garden hose.
__________________
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in the west
Posts: 1,168
A very good info site is at Macerators and Other Sewage Stuff by phred

The macerator head needed for the type of installation is this ITT Jabsco -18590-2092 MACERATOR - RUN DRY 12 VOLT - eBay (item 390279410380 end time Jan-15-11 09:25:42 PST)


Ed
__________________
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Triker56's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,945
Your gray water will go uphill if the bottom of the gray tank is above the discharge connection height.

I use a Sewer Solution and it does with my run 25-30' away.

Quote:
If you have to leave the bay door open then how do you stop critters from getting in and what do you do if the temps fall below freezing?
You can't keep critters out using the bottom hole either. The OP said he was a full timer. And it he full times like I do.
I haven't been in below temps for over 11 years now.
I'm not even sure the MH's rear mirrors, heating part even works.
__________________

__________________
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to everything, looking for advice! Melrose Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion 17 05-01-2011 09:55 PM
Chassis Advice Please danbjr Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 24 01-13-2011 10:43 PM
cross country trip need advice ninos Navigation, Routes & Roads 15 12-14-2010 01:27 PM
Flo Jet RV waste pump Ron & Dee Gear and Product Discussions 19 11-14-2010 07:37 AM
EZ Jet Water Cannon Gadget Man Gear and Product Discussions 7 06-14-2010 08:01 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.