Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Need advice to repair holes on exterior slide wall

Had a company come out to install window shades on the rig and they mounted the wrong hardware and didn't center the shade. They'll need to remove the hardware and reinstall however, there will now be extra drill holes that need to be repaired/filled. Believe the slide wall is metal on the Winnebago. They said they'll put rivets in the extra holes but I'm not agreeing to that because it is not the proper way to correct their mistake. Wondering if the best repair will be to take it to a body shop or what method is commonly used.
mpasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
What year & model Winnebago do you have? Slide wall would be the same fiberglass & Styrofoam sandwich as the coach walls on those models I am aware of.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
It's a 2011 Winnebago Vista. The exterior side walls are fiberglass but when the installer drilled the holes it looked like metal shavings came out so not sure.
mpasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
rivets would be fine structurally. As long as they look okay to you or are not visible, I would not worry about it.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #5

If metal shavings came out when he drilled into the fiberglass siding it is because the drill bit penetrated the metal framing behind the fiberglass siding.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
WGO replaced one of the shades on our coach. They took it back to the paint shop and a couple hours later I can not find the old holes even though I know where to look.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Man oh man....would I be pissed. Heck, I'm pissed just reading this post.

Ok, so you finally get excited to order these shades. You pick out fabric, the hardware and then wait for probably 2-4 weeks to have them made then shipped. Now ready for the install and they send out these bozo's. They've obviously made this mistake before because they readily knew what the fix was. Rivets!

Seriously, they're not centered over the windows and used the wrong hardware? Who are these bozo's. What company is this so none of us every use them? I keep a list of both good companies I read here about and a black list of one's to never use.

Yep, another company that does an install and does this crap. And then, and then.....want to stick a rivet in the holes. Let me guess CW right? Hopefully they'll have enough sense to use a sealant when they install the rivets. Hey, maybe they can use those gray bullet hole looking decals to cover up their stupidity. You know the ones. They look like someone did a drive by and sprayed your coach with bullets? This is EXACTLY why I don't let anyone work on our coach. Oh god this post just gets me.

Let me ask all of you here a question:
Our MH doesn't have full body paint (FBP) but I have spent countless hours getting the outside looking brand new since we bought it a year ago. I have spent countless hours and materials getting the outside to look this way. Those of you who have paid a whole lot more than us for FBP what would your reaction be to this nonsense?

Now the OP is between a rock & hard spot because of these idiots.

To get it fixed right, with properly filled holes, matching paint, time spent and inconvenience, yada, yada, yada, is not only a PIA but.......oh jeeze I just can't take this post anymore.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #8

rivets, really? Take it to a good body shop and send your 'installer' the bill. That's the only way to get it fixed correctly.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I definitely would not pay the install bill until the hole is repaired to you liking and rivet is not the answer.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #10

OK guys, take a deep breath here as no one has died ... yet.

I stopped the installer on the first awning as DW stated, it was not centered over the window and the top rail stuck out several inches on the right side as compared to the left, the hardware was correct however.
The supervisor showed up with the young installer later this afternoon and gave us several options to make things right, long story short, a mobile body shop repair guy will assess and maybe fill the holes or we take the rig to a body shop.
The kid felt really bad about his workmanship and I think most of us ole farts can relate to making mistakes in our youth on the job ... learn from your mistakes was one point I made to the young man and that as long as nobody died mistakes can be fixed.

And as far as the bullet hole stickers go, which caliber would you recommend? I'm sort of limited these days on what I may or may not have ... I can not confirm or deny the presence of any weapons or ammo that may or may not be onboard.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTC3 View Post
OK guys, take a deep breath here as no one has died ... yet.

I stopped the installer on the first awning as DW stated, it was not centered over the window and the top rail stuck out several inches on the right side as compared to the left, the hardware was correct however.
The supervisor showed up with the young installer later this afternoon and gave us several options to make things right, long story short, a mobile body shop repair guy will assess and maybe fill the holes or we take the rig to a body shop.
The kid felt really bad about his workmanship and I think most of us ole farts can relate to making mistakes in our youth on the job ... learn from your mistakes was one point I made to the young man and that as long as nobody died mistakes can be fixed.

And as far as the bullet hole stickers go, which caliber would you recommend? I'm sort of limited these days on what I may or may not have ... I can not confirm or deny the presence of any weapons or ammo that may or may not be onboard.
So true, it's just stuff. Glad to hear they are willing to fix it right.
Feel sorry for the young guy, if we think back, we have all made mistakes, admit it or not.
If by some chance the repair can still be seen after it's done, look at it and smile at some mistake you have made in the past. Your blood pressure will thank you.
Happy Glamping
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I"d choose the rivets over the Bondo and paint that will get used. At least that way in 10 years the bondo won't shrink, crack and fall out. RV's get scratched, just the nature of the beast. Rivets are unaffected, patch jobs are. just my experience....
Old 11-26-2017, 10:58 PM   #13

TAKE BACK AMERICA!

Bumper Sticker??

I know. Maybe that IS a little too RED NECK
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, repair, slide, air