Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #29

If you can't get over to exit don't go on a suicide mission There are other exits and u turns. Probably doesn't sound that appealing when driving a motorhome but I've seen people do some crazy stuff trying to make an exit. It's not worth it. Once your full timing also remember you have days, weeks months years lol to get to your next destination. Enjoy the ride. Take your time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
If you are on a ford chassis check out the CHF (cheap handling fix) and a rear track bar. Both may be candidate to provide much improved handling. But first ensure tire pressures, weights, etc are correct. And nothing worn or damaged in suspension and steering systems.
Great advice here, almost always a requirement on a Ford chassis.

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Anything you can do to identify the lane you need to be in - and give yourself more time to get there - the better.
Good point - reminds me...

I have a GPS that does a really great job displaying a picture of what is coming up (when a turn or being in a specific lane is needed). It provides this warning well in advance and this is a HUGE help in a big city/heavy traffic. I attempted to write about it once (Garmin Dezl 760LMT GPS - JdFinley.com) but not sure I explained it very well.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slow down. Take your time and leave as much space in front of you as you can. I also try to avoid big city traffic at rush hour. L.A. can be a beast and so can Denver and the DFW Metroplex. I try to also stay in the lane next to the slow lane whenever I have to transition a big city to give drivers that lane to merge and exit the freeway. My biggest pet peeve is people that don't know how to merge on to the freeway at the speed that the traffic is moving and we've all seen that. They're are doing 30 mph coming on and don't speed up till they actually get on the freeway. That my friends is what causes traffic jambs and the reason I stay out of the slow lanes in cities. I also don't plan any exits either. Example: If there are 3 lanes I stay in the #2 lane through any town and if there are 4 lanes even better, I'll still get in the #2 lane. That's my .02 worth on the subject.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #33

It will get Better??

Sorry folks but this is not OJT! If you feel uncomfortable and feel you can not control your vehicle you need professional help. The story you told is scary, I would not want to be on the road with you under those situations. Most people don't realize that the posted 50mph sign is a guide not a fact. If the "S curves that you encountered" were taken at that speed and you felt like you were leaning its not a equipment failure, you were going too fast. You are not alone. A huge percentage of MH owners are NOT qualified to drive their own coaches. Driving a car or pickup truck for 25 years does not qualify you to drive a 25000 + pound vehicle. The average car weighs about 3500lbs. Most MH owners with air brakes have NO knowledge of the system, do you know how to do a bleed down test, a safety braking check or understand how to utilize your engine brake properly. I was a professional truck driver for more than 15 years and it was the hardest job I ever had. The driving knowledge you need is both taught and acquired. I believe if every new MH owner were required to take some driver education on your new very heavy and complex machine we could lower not only the accident percentages but the insurance rates also. I'm not saying that all MH drivers are bad, but if you had some training before you started your adventure how much safer and less "white knuckle driving" you would have had. I'm positive I will hear from a ton of critics out there, but if you are honest with yourself, you will agree. Safe travels...
Old 04-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #34

^^^
Kudos to the above.
Study the darn CDL manual.
Be able to do this correctly and safely
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461710289.715576.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	125321

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
X marks the spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Sounds like you've gotten some good advice here. Especially the part about don't let traffic determine how fast you go during turns. If you feel like you're leaning too far you probably are going too fast. When you take exits you'll usually see a max speed of 35 or 45 MPH and a sign showing a truck tipping over. That sign is for you. It should give you an idea how fast you can take curves.

I know exactly how you feel. We went to Topsail State Park in Florida last summer. It was supposed to be a 6.5 hour drive from our house in Orlando. But a shooting incident on the I75 caused us a 7 hour delay and I had to get in to the park after dark. The highway leading to Topsail was all under construction with narrow lanes, angry drivers and occasional rain. This was my first long trip and I was tired and white knuckling the drive like you were. I was also towing a car. I found the best thing was to look in my rear view mirrors and see exactly where my rear wheels were with respect to the lane lines. I think picked a spot on the front windshield looking towards the passenger's side lane line on the road. I made a mental X on that spot and just kept the coach right there. If I'd had a grease pencil with me I'd have had my wife put an actual mark there.

It does get easier. I'm in my second, larger coach now and I actually enjoy driving it. Get used to your mirrors. Use your rear view monitor to help judge things behind you. I'm not suggesting you get overly aggressive, but if you have to merge, especially when a lane ends or something, drivers in the other lanes are required to let you merge in. You are bigger, much bigger. Use your directional and start squeezing in. You'll break the line.

These are big vehicles and there's lots to know. Experience is great, but if you have a chance to attend an RV driving course I'd say go for it. My schedule has prevented me from making the ones that are close to me (and when I say close, I mean like in Tampa from Orlando). But I've gotten very comfortable in my coach. The danger then is getting complacent and driving like you are in your car. And that's dangerous.
On my first trip out in the DP I accidentally put an X on my windshield.
White knuckling it through the rocky mountains scared to death of the drop offs on the right side for some reason I threw my hat onto the dash and it gave me a perfect X as to where the center line was. That seamed to help me keep it off the guardrails.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #36

A trick I learned early on is if I have any doubt, I pay close attention to the semi's. They've showed me what lane works best in heavy traffic, given me an idea of how fast I should be going in all kinds of weather, conditions and down hill runs, etc.

Just run with those guys. They'll show you what's going on if you pay any attention at all...
Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #37

Wow! Thanks, folks. This forum is a course in itself.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #38

I agree with runinonempty professional training is a great idea. If you don't have that opportunity then reading the CDL manual will help. Experience will help too. No matter how much training you have experience adds to your abilities. I drove 14,000 miles my first year in a Class A and my comfort level improved immensely but never let your awareness level decrease! Also, I don't ever think I will get used to those steep cliff, minimal shoulder roads. Not everything is in your control (other drivers, big gusts of wind, road defects) and in those situations there is little margin of safety. I avoid some of those roads, like the "Million Dollar Highway" from Ouray to Silverton. Big truckers do it daily, I chose not to. Find your own comfort zone.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. My first year with the MH I found myself driving north from the FL keys, I missed my turn to the interstate and ended up going through Miami at rush hour on a 3 lane and I swear the lanes felt like they were only 10 feet wide. I actually hit mirrors with a produce truck and we both kept going as there was no other choice. Yea, those construction zones with narrow lanes with a concrete barrier on one side and semis on the other are a bear. Just keep your eyes on a spot about 6 or 8 car lengths ahead and 4 feet from the left lane marking and drive toward it. Don't ever look to the right to see how close you are to a vehicle or you will tend to pull in that direction.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:00 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by runinonempty View Post
Sorry folks but this is not OJT! If you feel uncomfortable and feel you can not control your vehicle you need professional help.

...... but if you had some training before you started your adventure how much safer and less "white knuckle driving" you would have had.

...... but if you are honest with yourself, you will agree. Safe travels...
While your post makes perfect on one level - it ignores a couple of things. First and foremost - the very best driver on the road today started somewhere and had countless "first experiences" as they accumulated their driver experience. My bet is that they too felt a little uncomfortable early on in the game as well.

Second, I can't imagine anybody's first driving experience was in their coach. Virtually all of us brought years of driving experience to our first time behind the wheel of a coach. Prior to my first time behind the wheel of my coach - I estimate I rolled on 750,000 miles behind the wheel of cars of all types and sizes as well as a little experience in larger vehicles such as rental trucks, a little experience pulling trailers, etc. - in all sorts of weather and traffic conditions - accumulated over 40+ years of driving. The only thing truly new to me was the fact that I was driving a 44' coach with air brakes for the first time.

While I can't speak to how others prepared for their first few miles behind the wheel of their coaches - I can say that I scoured the web and watched as many "how to" videos as I could find. I studied CDL training materials to be certain that I understood my coach's air brake system and engine brake system. While I haven't obtained a CDL - I've studied the material such that I'm confident I can pass the written portion of the test. My first experience behind the wheel of my coach was in a large parking lot - where I got the feel for how it turns and stops. While I may not have paid for class or possess an RV Driver Diploma - it would be inaccurate to say that I didn't prepare myself for the task.

Based on what I've read on this and other forums and from discussions with others - pretty much everybody seems to tell a similar story.

Driving a large coach is neither brain science or rocket surgery. Stating that one feels a bit "white knuckled" is not an admission of incompetence. I view it as an acknowledgement that they're aware of the fact that they'll be better with more experience.

While YOU may be not want to be on the road with somebody who admits to feeling "white knuckled" - I'd much rather be on the road with somebody who recognizes the situation and their desire to improve than the clown who KNOWS IT ALL.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's my advice (I live in Cedar Park just outside Austin so I have a lot of experience in heavy traffic with crazy drivers!).

Go whatever speed you feel comfortable..yes you are slowing down traffic..they'll get over it.

Stay away from the far right lane especially on roads where there is no merge room at entrances. The worst situation you can be in is a car trying to enter the road, a car next to you and the car entering has no merge lane..you're stuck. After that happened to me a couple times I just decided to avoid that lane in cities as it's just to "active" and has way too many opportunities for accidents.

Don't try to use your "car driving" mode in an RV. Leave a large gap in front of you. Yes, people will be constantly passing you and scooting over into your lane..that's fine. Keep a good stopping distance gap.

Know where you're going. If I'm exiting in a city I use google earth to preview exits, turns so I know what lane to be in and how the turn looks,etc... this is really a useful tool.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
While your post makes perfect on one level - it ignores a couple of things. First and foremost - the very best driver on the road today started somewhere and had countless "first experiences" as they accumulated their driver experience. My bet is that they too felt a little uncomfortable early on in the game as well.

Second, I can't imagine anybody's first driving experience was in their coach. Virtually all of us brought years of driving experience to our first time behind the wheel of a coach. Prior to my first time behind the wheel of my coach - I estimate I rolled on 750,000 miles behind the wheel of cars of all types and sizes as well as a little experience in larger vehicles such as rental trucks, a little experience pulling trailers, etc. - in all sorts of weather and traffic conditions - accumulated over 40+ years of driving. The only thing truly new to me was the fact that I was driving a 44' coach with air brakes for the first time.

While I can't speak to how others prepared for their first few miles behind the wheel of their coaches - I can say that I scoured the web and watched as many "how to" videos as I could find. I studied CDL training materials to be certain that I understood my coach's air brake system and engine brake system. While I haven't obtained a CDL - I've studied the material such that I'm confident I can pass the written portion of the test. My first experience behind the wheel of my coach was in a large parking lot - where I got the feel for how it turns and stops. While I may not have paid for class or possess an RV Driver Diploma - it would be inaccurate to say that I didn't prepare myself for the task.

Based on what I've read on this and other forums and from discussions with others - pretty much everybody seems to tell a similar story.

Driving a large coach is neither brain science or rocket surgery. Stating that one feels a bit "white knuckled" is not an admission of incompetence. I view it as an acknowledgement that they're aware of the fact that they'll be better with more experience.

While YOU may be not want to be on the road with somebody who admits to feeling "white knuckled" - I'd much rather be on the road with somebody who recognizes the situation and their desire to improve than the clown who KNOWS IT ALL.

X2. Well said. Thanks.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice