Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #57

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and advice. After negotiating rain, snow, high winds, dust storms, road construction, and getting in an out of about 25 gas stations with a tow car in the last month, I have a much better feel for how long I am when I pull into the gas pumps and what the safe driving parameters are for a vehicle this large.

I do believe I would feel more comfortable and safer on the road with some professional training. In fact, I was investigating training before I purchased my Bounder in January. However, the only advertised training remotely close Austin was booked up months in advance and other trainers were in Arizona, California, etc. In addition, I had no way to evaluate in advance the quality of the training.

I would certainly appreciate any referrals or recommendations about where to get professional training. I plan on spending the next months in northern Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and eastern California.

Thanks again for your advice and comments.
rguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone seems to agree on the value of experience behind the wheel.
Experience starts with your first travel rig before you were married or when kids were young. You must pay your dues - back then was better and possibly cheaper. Reading about hints is ok but backing into your first low pole wiil teach you a lot!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #59

I have driven our coach right through downtown Atlanta on I-75 several times...and a couple of those were at rush hour. I didn't think it was all that big a deal. Just lots of traffic.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I have driven our coach right through downtown Atlanta on I-75 several times...and a couple of those were at rush hour. I didn't think it was all that big a deal. Just lots of traffic.
I haven't been thru Atlanta in more the 30 years .... but live in metro Detroit so am painfully familiar with heavy traffic. Around here ... traffic slows to a crawl during rush hour. I agree - driving during rush hour ain't all that big a deal - picking your lane and dealing with the stop and go is pretty simple.

It's the traffic conditions leading up to true "rush hour" traffic that I find to be the scary stuff. The roads are packed, yet still moving at just below posted speeds ... what would be considered a truly safe gap between most vehicles is being encroached upon by most everybody on the road ... and the crazies are pushing their vehicles into smaller and smaller holes with risky lane changes. That's the kind of traffic that puts me on edge.

The few times we've found ourselves hitting that sort of traffic while driving the coach - we typically pull off, find a spot at the outer edge of a nearby parking lot, fire up a movie, whip up a little dinner and kill an hour or two.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
This may sound stupid but my coach has a sweet spot and it's 63 MPH,it handles perfect at that speed,it feels completely different at 60 or 65.I really think they all do,you just have to find it.
Dittos. 1800 RPM. Get my best mileage there too.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #62

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Good advice, but sometimes hard to accomplish. It's hard to avoid El Paso when heading west from Austin or San Antonio--the name gives you a clue as to the reason. IH 10 goes through a narrow pass along the Rio Grand River. There is no crossing across the Franklin Mountains within a reasonable distance to the north and Mexico is on the south.
This might work for you: I avoid downtown El Paso when heading west by taking the 375 loop north to 54, then 3255, 213 and 404 to I-10. I do the reverse heading east.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use to live in god forsaken El Paso and that route works. Also C470 on the west side between I25 an I70 around Denver is a good route also. E470 on the east side is a toll road so beware.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #64

Follow the truck routes and bypasses. Might be a bit longer, but usually less traffic
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #65

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Dittos. 1800 RPM. Get my best mileage there too.
In our rig 1350 is 60 mph, Cummins calculations say 1370 is the most economical with ours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:25 AM   #66

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguild View Post
Can someone explain what the "cheap handling fix" is and how to get it?
This is a sway bar adjustment for a Ford Chassis. Just type "Cheap Handling Fix" in the search line and you will find it...or use this link:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

This thread has been active for 6 years and still going strong...and works.
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How To Handle An RV In High Winds, Turning Corners, And Backing Up

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...iving_tips.php
Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #68

Just did my first adventure across this great country of ours from Boston to Phoenix and back for 5700 miles and had a blast!! Learned a lot from the big rigs, never went over 65 mph, drove through some big cities (also behind the big rigs). Don't really care about someone telling me about experience, as I believe I've earned my right to drive on these great roads of ours. And by the way, I think many drivers get the "white knuckle" thing once in a while or you're just lying to yourself. Just slow down and enjoy driving and the cold beer that comes at the end of the day.

By the way I added the tru-center for steering and a back track bar for better handling.

Can't wait for my next adventure!!
Moon
Moonless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I haven't been thru Atlanta in more the 30 years .... but live in metro Detroit so am painfully familiar with heavy traffic. Around here ... traffic slows to a crawl during rush hour. I agree - driving during rush hour ain't all that big a deal - picking your lane and dealing with the stop and go is pretty simple.

It's the traffic conditions leading up to true "rush hour" traffic that I find to be the scary stuff. The roads are packed, yet still moving at just below posted speeds ... what would be considered a truly safe gap between most vehicles is being encroached upon by most everybody on the road ... and the crazies are pushing their vehicles into smaller and smaller holes with risky lane changes. That's the kind of traffic that puts me on edge.

The few times we've found ourselves hitting that sort of traffic while driving the coach - we typically pull off, find a spot at the outer edge of a nearby parking lot, fire up a movie, whip up a little dinner and kill an hour or two.
Lifetime resident of Detroit area. Regarding Atlanta, what makes it so "special"?. Lanes have a frequent habit of disappearing onto exit ramps leading to surface streets (leaving you driving a big rig in downtown traffic). To remain on course (I-75), you must be an expert (or willing to become one quickly) at merging your rig into heavy traffic in the lane to your right, and to your left with very little notice. -Al
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #70

To the OP, it will get better as you accumulate more time in the drivers seat. I've driven everything from a farm tractor pulling a 32' wide disc (wings folded up) down the highway avoiding mail boxes to a semi in narrow road construction lanes. It will take some time, but you will develop a feel and judgement that will get you into a comfort zone where you will know where you are in your lane and what everyone around you is capable of doing. When you reach that point, nothing will surprise you and you will just react to the situation. At that point, you will settle into a comfort zone where you are in complete control. You mentioned Phoenix. That can be an intimidating drive if you let it affect you. I always pick the second lane from the right to avoid the traffic exiting and merging. With my trailer, we are 75' long and bigger than anyone else on the road including semi's. I always leave several car lengths in front for safety, and drivers will always fill that safety barrier, but I create another one. That's just the way car drivers are. When it becomes necessary to change lanes, I give the drivers in that lane a chance to let me in, but they don't always comply. After a certain amount of time, I just start drifting to that lane and all of a sudden there is room for me. As I said, I'm a lot bigger than they are.

A training class will help an inexperienced driver to become aware of the basics of driving a motorhome, but time in the drivers seat is the only way you can reach that comfort zone you are looking for. When that happens, the drive will be just as relaxing as the destination. Good luck
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice