Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need advice with winter travel

Hey Eddie,

Plan sounds pretty well thought out except my experience says "ditto" to GraciesDad, Gruelens and Moxy. We went south to SPI in far south Texas after Christmas last year leaving from Syracuse, NY. Black Ice was a blast. We thought we would get warm temps when we hit Arkansas, Nope. Ended up we had temps below freezing all the way into Lake Charles, LA . What a disappointment, but hey, we survived, had fun, learned a lot and will be a lot better prepared this year. Winter seems to come earlier every year, or is it that I am just getting older sooner. I would not charge any water lines until I am certain temps are above freezing and will stay there until my destination. That is based on experience and please don't ask how much that cost. Anyway, I digress, go and enjoy. Please travel safe.

Runaway & Crew
DW Karen, 2 Std's Chloe & Sadie
2008 Tuscany # 4055 w/ RAV 4 Toad
runaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
Interesting that your fresh water tank and plumbing is not inside the heat envelope.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #17
Well here we go again, I travel to Florida from NJ every year for the past 25+ years right after Christmas. I put water in the tank before we leave home, I do shower every night before I jump in the clean sheets. Too date I've never had any problems going down or coming home in March. At the bottom of 295 in NJ at the rest area on the way home in March when I dump the holding tanks I open all the drains and faucets and head home. When I get home I blow out the rest of the water and put pink in the drains. In that time I guess we had 3 different MH's 2 Winnebagos and a Blue Bird, none had a problem with the cold weather, snow or ice. I love Disney my wife wants to live at Fort Wilderness. Good luck and have a great trip.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #18
Thanks to all who responded. There's some great info there and I will be sure to utilize it.
SteadyEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
A lot of good advice, but one thing not mentioned yet is the physics of the motorhome itself. Most of our motorhomes were not built for snow and ice the way cars are built... think undercarriage. If you go though any snow and ice, or anywhere where it recently snowed or had freezing conditions during your journey, do not overlook your chassis. A good undercarriage wash will go a long way in protecting your chassis. I've always heard how our motorhome chassis are not protected again salt corrosion the way cars are, so this spring I asked Mike Cody while attending Camp Freightliner. He confirmed that nothing is done chassis-wise concerning salt corrosion. I know that a lot of the manufactures will spray the undercarriages to give "some" protection, but I think that's more geared at air, moisture and sound rather than salt corrosion. Just a concern that I always have when driving during the winter months.
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #20
I have run our then 03 Phaeton in -15* weather safely, but it takes special preparation. Extra 2" of urethane sprayed under the basement including the wet bay. It takes a lot of propane and the engine running all the time. The one thing I did that you could do is to add a heater to the wet bay. Holiday Rampler used to just use a 12 volt heater to keep their wet bay warm. I saw one and installed one in ours. I used 10 ga wire fused direct to the batteries. It has a thermostat which I set at 40*. @ -15* on the road, the wet bay stayed above 38*. The heater is called "Back Seat Heater" and it is here. Amazon.com: back seat heater

I did the 1100 watt one. Along with your furnace running, you should be able to "start" your trip with at least a half tank of water if the temps are above 10 to 15*. Then complete your return trip and winterize when you are back home. We used to leave WI in January in all kinds of weather and always left with a full tank of water. Four years ago, we discovered that if we went to AZ in Oct or Nov and did not come back till May, I didn't need to winterize.

2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, travel, winter