Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Need advice with winter travel

I have a Coachmen Mirada 36' motor home. I live along the Maryland/Pennsylvania border. My wife and I have made reservations to go to Disneyworld for 3 weeks starting the end of January, 2015. We will be staying at a campsite in Fort Wilderness on the Disney grounds.
Here is my plan and my concerns:
1. Because it will surely get below freezing here, I will winterize the MH sometime in early November, as usual. I will use the compressed air method to reduce the mess with using RV antifreeze. I will keep shore power plugged in up until it is time to leave for Florida.
I will keep the refer going and will probably place a light bulb in the outside access refer compartment to keep some heat there so the ammonia does not get too cold. I am keeping the refer going because we want to store a lot of frozen food in it for the trip.
2. I figure that once we are in mid North Carolina, we will stay overnight at some campground. At that point, I am expecting that the temperatures will be above freezing and I can use the campgrounds water supply to fill the water lines throughout the MH. If it is still too cold there, I'll do it further south.
3. When we return home, the temperature will still likely be below freezing, so I am planning to again winterize the water lines with compressed air somewhere between Florida and home.
Is there something I am missing here?
We have never traveled in a motor home or trailer during freezing weather, so this will be a new experience for us.

Thank you for any advice or other information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Also should be a fun vacation, I've always enjoyed Disneyworld. Are you planning on taking a pancake air compressor to blow the lines when you return home?

98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Ken,
Nebraska, huh? I suppose you have dealt with situations like this.

Yes.. I will look for a small pancake oil-less compressor to take with us. I only need 35 or so PSI, but want more air volume than a typical portable tire air compressor provides.

I forgot to mention that I would be draining the hot water tank both before and after the trip.

I suppose that my biggest concern will be that I can get out of my driveway and then back in it during this time of year (snooooow).:-)

Ed
Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Remember "The Christmas Story" when Ralphie put his tongue against the Flag pole. Some years back, we headed south thru Oklahoma the weekend after Thanksgiving, and the temp dropped below freezing, with blowing snow. I drove, what seemed like forever, at 30 mph, and really enjoyed the black ice on the bridges. I think that February would be pretty cold your area, and if you don't have heated, insulated holding tanks, I would carry a couple of gallons of water, so that you don't have to depend on your water system. Fort Wilderness is a great place to stay. We'll be heading to S. Texas after Thanksgiving, hoping to miss the white stuff. Have a safe trip. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also, I just bought a 155#, 3 gallon tank from Northern Tools for $75.00 for airing the tires. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
YOu might do some research but I believe that the norcolds use anhydrous ammonia. I worked once where they had a freezer that they kept at 30 below using an ammonia system. I would not worry too much about the ammonia getting cold.

Make sure you start with full propane tanks and full gas/diesel tanks. Fill the fuel tanks a bit more often. If something happens you want to be able to run your generator or engine overnight if necessary.

Before you leave home flush the RV antifreeze out of the drains and lines. Fill water tank at least half full. If you get caught in snow or ice storm and they close the highway you will probably be spending the night in a truck stop or something like a Walmart parking lot. You will really appreciate having the water then

Plan on running the heater that keeps the wet bay warm while you are running down the road. My diesel pusher has two furnaces one of them directs heat down into the wet bay and tank area. Keep that heater going while driving in freezing temps.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #7

Eddie,
Thanks for the tip. Yes, we will certainly carry some extra water in jugs for the ride down.
Ed
Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Read this thread to see what can happen unexpectedly and the problems these people faced.

Brrrrr we're freezing!! Help!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #9

Gemini5362,
Thank you for the tips... My rig does not have heated tanks, so I am reluctant to put any water in the fresh water tanks until I get safely south of the freezing weather.
My refer is a Dometic, and I have done some research regarding cold weather operation of them... I think I will be OK.
As for propane and gas levels... I agree.. it is best to keep them topped off as much as possible.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #10

Gemini 5362,
Read the thread. Good info there. Thanks for the link.
Ed
Old 09-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah Ed, it can get pretty nasty in Nebraska, but then it can bad in a lot of areas during the winter months. My pancake air compressor is a Campbell Hausfeld, 4 gallon, 135 max psi. I can set it down to 35 PSI to blow our MH lines out and it will inflate our MH tires if they get a little low. It measures about 16" high and is pretty portable. It really sounds like you have a well thought out plan going and coming on your trip. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Filling up w/water in North Carolina in JANUARY??!

One word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Four years of college in NC and three years afterwards proved to me that 1) It gets COLD in NC in January and b) It snows and, for the most part, shuts things down.

Sixteen years (from '93 to '09) in Orlando also proved that it gets cold there as well, but after about 10 years, even 40 felt cold!

Don't tank up until you hit southern Georgia or better, Daytona. Especially if you're taking I-95... Those storms off the Atlantic are total bears and can leave you stranded in a heartbeat! Even Jacksonville is above the freeze line.

You're gonna LOVE Ft. Wilderness! Way lots of stuff to do, even in the CG! If your budget can stand it, I'd also suggest a 3-day ticket to Universal Studios as well!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #13

traveling down south from the great white north

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddy View Post
I have a Coachmen Mirada 36' motor home. I live along the Maryland/Pennsylvania border. My wife and I have made reservations to go to Disneyworld for 3 weeks starting the end of January, 2015. We will be staying at a campsite in Fort Wilderness on the Disney grounds.
Here is my plan and my concerns:
1. Because it will surely get below freezing here, I will winterize the MH sometime in early November, as usual. I will use the compressed air method to reduce the mess with using RV antifreeze. I will keep shore power plugged in up until it is time to leave for Florida.
I will keep the refer going and will probably place a light bulb in the outside access refer compartment to keep some heat there so the ammonia does not get too cold. I am keeping the refer going because we want to store a lot of frozen food in it for the trip.
2. I figure that once we are in mid North Carolina, we will stay overnight at some campground. At that point, I am expecting that the temperatures will be above freezing and I can use the campgrounds water supply to fill the water lines throughout the MH. If it is still too cold there, I'll do it further south.
3. When we return home, the temperature will still likely be below freezing, so I am planning to again winterize the water lines with compressed air somewhere between Florida and home.
Is there something I am missing here?
We have never traveled in a motor home or trailer during freezing weather, so this will be a new experience for us.

Thank you for any advice or other information.
I travel south every winter and the end of December for a month from southern Ontario so Ill give ya some hints

firstly when winterizing up north use plumbing antifreeze, it wont take a lot your pump will do all the work, you will be sure to get antifreeze in your traps etc, I highly recommend this on top of your compressed air method, be sure to drain water heater and then use bypass for plumbing antifreeze.

Your out side fridge will be fine no need to warm it, mine has survived 7 winters so save the electricity,

You coach fridge will need a couple of days to cool down so leaving it running for months on end is futile and a waste of money,

When coming home I suggest the same procedure for water system and ensure tanks are all empty

make sure you have no liquid in storage bays coming home, (ask me how I learned this),

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #14

I lived on the PA, MD border too until we went fulltime. Conditions going to FL in January can be across the board for temps. Keep your fresh water system dry until you reach central FL or confirm temperatures via extended forecasts. Working off a water jug is easy. Getting busted plumbing repaired on a Disney vacation is hard.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, travel, winter