Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't underate your ability to drive a Class A and start smaller. When my wife and I were looking at moving up from our 24' Class C we had lookied at a 36' that we both really liked but were convinced we should look for smaller. We opted for a 30' and although we love the old girl we will probably, short of winning a lottery, be able to get a larger unit. My buddy bought the 36 footer we had looked at and I drove it to get a servicing at rhe RV dealer he bought from. No difference in driving at all. Look carefully and as Don said find something you both can live with and buy the longest you can within your needs.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dora. Ford came out with a completely new chassis for class A's about 2005 that is far superior to the earlier chassis. Perhaps someone here can verify when the new chassis was introduced.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #17

Rexhall Owners Group
My wife and I are "new-again" to class A's, after being away for several years. About ten years ago we started with a 24' class A. Used it for several years, then sold it. We learned a lot from that experience, which helped guide us for our most recent purchase, a 34' Class A. We've had it about a week now.
For me, tops on my list was hydraulic jacks, tag axle, and basement storage. For my wife, it was the galley. It's amazing how "small" a galley can get when trying to prep a meal.
I would second much of the previous advice---bigger is not going to be that much more difficult to drive, or get significantly worse mileage.
It took us months to find the one we wanted, and I'll admit that my heart was beating louder than expected when I first took the wheel.
Now, I've learned to gauge distance and have backed it out of my driveway solo.
I had my transmission serviced, and everybody was helpful in helping me do a three point turn in a crowded parking lot.
Best of luck in your search, hope you find "the one" that suits you!
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Dora, welcome to the forum. Since it sounds like you and your hubby have not RV'd before, I suggest you rent an RV for a week or two and travel a bit. Make sure this is the decision you want to make as far as full timing; there is a lot to learn about RVing. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I own a 36 foot gas powered rig. The extra 6 feet adds an amazing amount of space to a coach. Learning how to drive your motorhome will be the least of your worries. Learning what to take and what to leave behind is a never ending adventure and was our greatest learning curve. Make sure you can live with your layout. Also look closely at available storage space inside and out.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #20

LA Gulf Coast Campers
If going full time, 34' is the magic number in a gas rig. Any smaller and you will hate living full time. Any larger and you will be pushing the limits of the chassis. There is no difference in driving a 29' and a 34'. You will learn to go a bit slower, swing a bit wider in turns, change lanes less often, and learn to use and depend on your side mirrors. You will be very comfortable driving in a few weeks. Also consider you will need a towed vehicle for convenience. Get one you can tow 4-Flat a dolly is a big mistake and a hassle. As you drive, plan before you pull in somewhere. You cannot back up when towing. Make sure you have pull through route ahead.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess we are the exception to the rule. We live in a 31' class A (4 months into our two year plan). We also tow a smart car on a small trailer. So far we could not be happier. When we were first looking at class As we thought we would be able to find one that had a larger bath and shower and not have the built in dinning booth. We were not able to find one like that everything that was up to the magic 34' had a booth and the same size shower and bathroom. We opted for the 31' that did not have the booth but a slide out table that works well for us. We have 3 slides and with the two of us and the dog have not felt cramped at all. I agree that driving one between 29' and 34' will not be that much different. I think getting the floor plan you like will guide you to the appropriate size class A.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Robin, Carolyn and Maggie the Schnauzer - 2015 Winnebago Vista 30T, 2014 Smart Car Toad

Tags
led