Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
CAn you give us the details on the coach issues that the manufacturer says they can't fix? Sometimes a little bad media is appropriate, but it's largely going to hit the local dealers first. Sometimes a little manufacturer barking is necessary, can't tell if you've tried that yet...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
all i can say is look at the other posts i put up i cant put the dealer, manufactures name in any of my posts or i will be kicked off, but they did let my old ones alone, look at the one still having problems.the damages are water damage from leaks and shorts from water in dash, my kitchen dwerers are falling apart/ out, have issues with roof leaking, stairs improperly working, issues with lights in dash and these are just the new issues, also had to fix the plumbing under the shower last trip it broke so it took a new pice of pipe and new nut. ( witch i wont be reimburst for since i fixed it not the dealer)

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #17

Unfortunatley we had to return a motor home under the lemon law. We did it because we had a true lemon a safety problem and without going into detail we did it with no lawyer and only documented facts basically we save every service paper and you have to leave it till they fix 3 attempts for the same problem without fixing it. Most companies will just say hay bring me the unit and we will fix it skip the dealer if it is coach related.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The major problem has been a roof leak since day one the leak is at the front of the coach and it has damaged the interior cabinets and has penetrated the dash. The dash was fixed and also replaced but the water was not stopped until April this year, they are trying to tell me the interior damage is my fault this only after they already have agreed to fix all the issues and damages
Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe try contact the local News reports. On our local news they will research problems and try to help them and then report it on the news. Consumer Report is what they call it here and all stations here do that. Just a thought. Good luck!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #20

I would suggest contacting the state Bar Association for attornys in you area. You could go to the ABAJournal.com, on the bottom of the page is a list of Blogs by attornys with specialties.
Depending on the total claim you might consider small claims court.
Wish you the best.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #21

Jim - I did actually check your profile and go back and read all your posts in the Forest River Owner's Forum. Back on April 12 you stated
Quote:
Ok I took my unit to the dealer and walked through all the issues with the service manager and CEO of the dealer ship and also two factory reps and a local rep from coachmen...
Then the next day, you posted saying they were going to fix everything at no cost to you. Then nothing for the last 2 months until today, when you posted that they have reneged on their promises and are saying you will have to pay for everything because it was "user error". That's not just one irresponsible dealer, that's an awful lot of pretty high up folks making a pretty strong statement!

What exactly did they say was your fault? Sounds like it all started with the roof leak. Are they saying you somehow damaged the roof, which made it leak, which caused all the following problems and damage?

If it was something like that, you said it was front edge? maybe the wife ran under a low tree and didn't tell you, or whatever ... just back up and explain you didn't realize that could have caused it, and either pay for them to fix everything correctly or trade it in.

The only other thing I can think to suggest is to maybe have your attorney go see or at least talk to them directly, not just write threatening letters. Then he will be able to understand the situation more clearly and offer some possible solutions. Or maybe even a good friend or relative or banker or friendly mechanic who could talk to them on your behalf. They have apparently stopped listening to you. Perhaps they would be more responsive to a fresh face.

Until then, you might want to be really careful with any public accusations like banners or signs at gatherings until your lawyer tells you it is okay. If they can document anything that makes it look like it could possibly have been your fault, they could hit you with a BIG lawsuit.

Hope things work out for you.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the roof leaks are at all the seams, skylights, vents, around the a/c, and the slide tops, and the slide topper brackets, there is no damage from hitting anything and yes i know that nothing was hit since i am the only one that drives it other than the people at the dealer, the dealer is even amazied that there are no scrathed or dings down the unit, but the leakes are from a lack of sealent, or cracked sealent/ trim, and the slide toppers brackettes are missing the gasket that is suppose to be on them, so i dont see why i should have to pay for these when it is clearly a manufacturer issue. total to have it all fixed is estimated around $1500.00, if it was a couple of hundred that wouldnt be a issue for me but over a thousand come on who would pay for it at that price when the warenty is suppose to cover it?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
...you might want to be really careful with any public accusations like banners or signs at gatherings until your lawyer tells you it is okay.
+1 on this. If you choose to embark on a negative PR campaign, make sure anything you say publicly relates to YOUR experience, not generalities about the dealer. For instance, your picket sign should say "JOE BLOW RV CENTER RIPPED ME OFF!" not "JOE BLOW RV CENTER WILL RIP YOU OFF".

The first is you relating your experience, the second might get you sued.

I wish you luck in your endeavour for justice.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbooth25 View Post
the roof leaks are at all the seams, skylights, vents, around the a/c, and the slide tops, and the slide topper brackets, there is no damage from hitting anything and yes i know that nothing was hit since i am the only one that drives it other than the people at the dealer, the dealer is even amazied that there are no scrathed or dings down the unit, but the leakes are from a lack of sealent, or cracked sealent/ trim, and the slide toppers brackettes are missing the gasket that is suppose to be on them, so i dont see why i should have to pay for these when it is clearly a manufacturer issue. total to have it all fixed is estimated around $1500.00, if it was a couple of hundred that wouldnt be a issue for me but over a thousand come on who would pay for it at that price when the warenty is suppose to cover it?
So again - what exactly are they saying is "user error"?

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #25

OK I m going to wade into this. Jim, start using spell checker if you hope to get anywhere with the dealer and letters. Second and not the least is the 1500.00. You can sue them in small claims court and do it yourself. If you go a lawyer route, 1500 is going to be cheap.

You need to try and negotiate with the dealership to get them on your side. Simply throwing out accusations wont cut it.

Worse than all of this is you probably hate the rv now and if you sell it, you will need to disclose the problems or the next owner will hate it too and probably sue you for the faults.

Sounds like you need some resolution but you are going to have to give some to get some.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with SeattlePirat. Have the RV repaired at your expense ($1500), have the dealership who makes the repairs document EVERYTHING, and then sue the selling dealership and/or manufacturer in small claims court to recoup the expense. Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear that you got such a raw deal from Coachman.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbooth25 View Post
The major problem has been a roof leak since day one the leak is at the front of the coach and it has damaged the interior cabinets and has penetrated the dash. The dash was fixed and also replaced but the water was not stopped until April this year, they are trying to tell me the interior damage is my fault this only after they already have agreed to fix all the issues and damages
You are required to "mitigate" the damages and that's probably why they say the interior damage is your fault. If you didn't put a cover over it or put it in a building once you knew of the leaks then it's your fault as you didn't take precautions to stop further damage.
Inspection and resealing of the sealant is maintenance that the owner is supposed to do periodically (every 6 month?) as such a warranty doesn't cover the work nor resultant damage if not done.
If you had run into something and ripped the roof, turned it in to your insurace company, then left it out in the rain it'd be the same thing. They won't cover the rain damage because you're required to mitigate the damage to the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunde01 View Post
Jim,

Attorneys don't scare these guys. They have corporate counsel in house that field these issues for them on a daily basis at no additional cost to them. For example, the customer service manager at Tiffin is also their corporate counsel. Your best bet is to establish a rapport with their customer service manager and work toward a resolution of your problems. Maybe have the repair issues resolved at another service facility they will approve. You have to approach it as a business issue as calmly as you can.

Dave
I thought Bob would solve each and every issue with this make. That's what they say on RV.Net anyway.