Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need electrical advice

We are located in cg in Rapid City, SD. Last night we noticed a rotten egg smell. The smell was so strong that the security person noticed and came over to see if I had a sewer leak.

I went outside and noticed that one of the chassis batteries was boiling and putting out the odor. I shut the Invertor/charger down to stop the charging.

Yesterday morning I changed out the house batteries. When we returned from touring I noticed that the voltage of the chassis batteries was down to around 6 volts. After talking to some people and observing a battery setup similar to mine I had a cable that should have gone to ground attached to positive side. After moving the cable all the batteries charged up to normal. Later on is when we noticed the battery problem.

Do you think that I should replace the chassis battery that was boiling. Thanks

Ron Patterson
2003 Discover 39L
RonPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPatt View Post

Do you think that I should replace the chassis battery that was boiling. Thanks

Ron Patterson
2003 Discover 39L
Must be something about Rapid City, had the same thing happen to me with the truck batteries on the way there two years ago. I had a cell go bad on one of my dual batteries, and the alternator keep charging the other battery until it boiled it over and ruined it. Long story short, I had to replace both batteries.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #3

I would say your chassis battery are toast boiling is not a good sign.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
When a battery boils it overheats and buckles the plates inside. The battery may hold a charge but will not completely recover.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
I had the same problem, except it was just an older battery that started gassing. I replaced them both. Did not want an older battery causing the new one to go bad. Replaced with Freightliners from the area shop. want no problems that far from home and try to patch my way home
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the confirmation. Just got back from Interstate with 2 fresh chassis batteries. Things are humming now.

Ron
RonPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
We had a similar issue with our coach batteries. It turned out to be the "On Board" 55 amp, power supply float charger. It was replaced, along with two new coach barrety's, solved the problem.

Apparently, the original on board charger unit had a component failure and would continue to charge the coach batteries at a high amperage rate over charging them. This over charging caused the batteries to boil off water in the cells...
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical